Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen the local gov't people so scared of being second guessed, so they just waste our money putting down salt, etc. to protect themselves

The over-warning of the NWS and the oversalting/sanding of local municipalities has to be related to the gov't peeps not wanting to tick-off the ruling class, ah-hem, politicians in our area.

The 500h vort isn't bad a 144hrs If it were correct someone would get a stripe of 1-3 so. Of course, it's so far on its own and it lokies to jazz things up at times.  Still, I'm not willing to poo-poo it to much. 

yeah it looks decent for now. i know some say we have 6 weeks but in my mind it's about 4 for those not west/north so gotta get what we can asap.

it's gotta give at some point.

i've mostly surrendered.

There are signs it is breaking down.  For the first time all year the guidance is hinting at some STJ energy getting involved as well as a more favorable trough axis to allow something to develop past the Feb 10th period.  I know its way out there but there are positive signs. 

it's gotta give at some point.

i've mostly surrendered.

Every time I look, it seems like I'm looking at the same picture, over and over.  Even in the same pattern, I'd think you'd still have some variation on what actually happens.  But, trying to be optimistic, I'm still hoping to see a little tonight and Saturday night.

There are signs it is breaking down.  For the first time all year the guidance is hinting at some STJ energy getting involved as well as a more favorable trough axis to allow something to develop past the Feb 10th period.  I know its way out there but there are positive signs. 

God, I hope so.  The only way it could be a worse trough axis is for it to have been a ridge.

The PV displacement, albeit brief, occurs from the clipper parade 2/2-6. At the same time, the models are shooting in a couple of s/w in both streams and completely mishandling the entire situation. The meandering E PAC / CA low suddenly comes east for the 2/8-10 threat. This whole thing is a major timing headache and no solution is accurate (easy to say I know). Throw in that the models have no clue how to handle the Tropical Pacific headache and ...well you get the picture.

The southern stream's influence will arrive in a few days and slowly get partially involved with each clipper system, esp. the last one on 2/5-6. At this point, we have to get lucky with southern stream wave timing and the PV displacement.

The PV displacement, albeit brief, occurs from the clipper parade 2/2-6. At the same time, the models are shooting in a couple of s/w in both streams and completely mishandling the entire situation. The meandering E PAC / CA low suddenly comes east for the 2/8-10 threat. This whole thing is a major timing headache and no solution is accurate (easy to say I know). Throw in that the models have no clue how to handle the Tropical Pacific headache and ...well you get the picture.

The southern stream's influence will arrive in a few days and slowly get partially involved with each clipper system, esp. the last one on 2/5-6. At this point, we have to get lucky with southern stream wave timing and the PV displacement.

I'm less optimistic than you about the pattern though I do think the last clipper could give us our biggest snow of the year (that's not saying much) providing the vort digs as far south as the Euro is taking it.  I agree that this will be a tough period for the models to handle but still wonder how quickly real southern stream energy gets to the east coast. 

The over-warning of the NWS and the oversalting/sanding of local municipalities has to be related to the gov't peeps not wanting to tick-off the ruling class, ah-hem, politicians in our area.

Its rather interesting you say that , as I agree with you and think things have gotten rather tempetous over the last 4 years and seem to be continuing. The ruling class(politicians) seems to have changed a bit . Maybe more sensitive . We havent had a good storm for a while. I saw snow plows recently with nothing forecast. It didnt make any sense.

so the 8-10  day threat is very much alive, although a headache to forecast. Very interesting. Guess someone else has a least a feeling for this possibility. Thanks

I'm less optimistic than you about the pattern though I do think the last clipper could give us our biggest snow of the year (that's not saying much) providing the vort digs as far south as the Euro is taking it.  I agree that this will be a tough period for the models to handle but still wonder how quickly real southern stream energy gets to the east coast. 

We both agree that, especially leading up to the threat window, the flow is progressive, warm and lacks North Atlantic blocking. The whole basis of this threat window (original call of 2/5-10 but it really doesn't matter at this point) was the timing of certain waves to allow for a PV displacement to time while southern stream influence gets involved. Initiatlly, the involvment will be minimal; but, it will gradually increase with each passing northern stream s/w. The lucky timing could come with either the 2/5-6 or 2/8-10 events. I think the modeling is having trouble because of the complicated forcing setup (head to philly subforum for more in the medium range thread) in the Tropics.

so the 8-10  day threat is very much alive, although a headache to forecast. Very interesting. Guess someone else has a least a feeling for this possibility. Thanks

I say enjoy this period, starting tonight/tomorrow morning, because you never know if it will be your last wintry period of the season in DC-MD-VA corridor. :)  

Euro still has the day 8.5-9 day storm that doesn't look half bad......as in, if it verified we might get 3-4"

EDIT: on second thought, it's not for for sure snow event....meh again

huh? it has like .1" qpf

Archived