Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro still has the day 8.5-9 day storm that doesn't look half bad......as in, if it verified we might get 3-4"

EDIT: on second thought, it's not for for sure snow event....meh again

The threat has been there but it has always looked like a marginal event into a rotting air mass if we dont get a strong southern stream or phase

People post like there's some huge difference between a 2" winter at DCA vs. a 7" winter at DCA. There's really not. Both require not-good patterns for almost the entire 3.5 month snow season. Both are way below average and both would be remembered as a terrible winter. Pretty much everyone's thrown in the towel for a 10+" winter at DCA, but why would there be strong feelings at this point either way for 2" vs. 7"? Neither is anywhere close to average, and we certainly don't have the long-range forecasting ability to nail down terrible vs. a bit more terrible with 1.5 months to go.

this weather is crazy.  i went to lunch with a friend of mine today from india and he said it snowed where he's from the other day.  i think he's from somewhere near hyderabad.  after reading several news sources, it sounds like it may have been hail, but either way, they don't get it often. 

was it snow:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/130131/news-current-affairs/gallery/snowfall-andhra-pradesh

or was it hail (looks like hail to me...love the title of this article):

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/130131/news-current-affairs/article/chevella-andhra-pradesh-hails-snow

in other news:

i get the feeling if we can switch patterns, we might end up with a late season storm...just a hunch.

I have no idea what will happen late feb into March but also have little confidence in the CFS2 which didn't

do very well in Jan or Feb if I recall.  If I were to guess, I'd guess that early March will be warmer than normal based on where the MJO is likely to be located but admit to no skill beyond two week. 

I have no idea what will happen late feb into March but also have little confidence in the CFS2 which didn't

do very well in Jan or Feb if I recall.  If I were to guess, I'd guess that early March will be warmer than normal based on where the MJO is likely to be located but admit to no skill beyond two week. 

If this pattern keeps up, mjo won't be out of phase 2 until memorial day. 

I'm not buying any second half of feb forecast from any model or any met. imo- it's more up for grabs than any 2 week period this entire winter. 

If this pattern keeps up, mjo won't be out of phase 2 until memorial day. 

attachicon.gifmjo.JPG

I'm not buying any second half of feb forecast from any model or any met. imo- it's more up for grabs than any 2 week period this entire winter. 

Other models are more aggressive than it.  I think it tends to be too slow with its progression but as I've noted. I have no skill at that time range.  I do think by Feb 14 or 15 we'll be going colder than normal again but despite the MJO suggesting more southern stream energy, this year  i'll have to see it before I buy it. 

Other models are more aggressive than it.  I think it tends to be too slow with its progression but as I've noted. I have no skill at that time range.  I do think by Feb 14 or 15 we'll be going colder than normal again but despite the MJO suggesting more southern stream energy, this year  i'll have to see it before I buy it. 

Wes Storm Feb 18-19?

I was just being a smartass with the mjo. 

But I really do think the second half of feb and even early march is very difficult to predict. I keep seeing various east based -nao looks in the lr that's probably the one thing that could asset itself and we go unexpectedly cold. otoh- the west coast trough could dig in and park itself too and we torch. I think we probably oscillate warm/cool in fast flow through the month but that's a wag of course. 

Not true Ian..now your trolling. We've had our best snows in mid feb.

actually it is true. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/dca/Dcafeb.txt

we have.. but the 15th+ is not quite the period people glorify it to be if you remove outliers at least in the dc record. 

funny you guys don't get on randy's case when he starts a snow thread with a meh.

Archived