• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

Meanwhile, in fantasy land, the southern stream is quite intense in the SW US 2/7-2/9 with a big 4-corners low. The GFS has the PV dropping down for a second visit 2/8-2/10 into the Hudson Bay. The wave exiting off the NE coast that weekend as well as a new wave entering west Canada, through the PNA ridging, are big factors in how the northern stream interacts with the southern low. My thinking is 60/40 at this point that this is NOT an inland runner on 2/10. If the placement of large-scale features is closer to the GFS, then I could see a more widespread, significant snowfall from this massive Pacific low / jet.

I can't wait for the euro to have something entirely different. :(

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, in fantasy land, the southern stream is quite intense in the SW US 2/7-2/9 with a big 4-corners low. The GFS has the PV dropping down for a second visit 2/8-2/10 into the Hudson Bay. The wave exiting off the NE coast that weekend as well as a new wave entering west Canada, through the PNA ridging, are big factors in how the northern stream interacts with the southern low. My thinking is 60/40 at this point that this is NOT an inland runner on 2/10. If the placement of large-scale features is closer to the GFS, then I could see a more widespread, significant snowfall from this massive Pacific low / jet.

I can't wait for the euro to have something entirely different. :(

even with higher heights in the east, if we get that temporary split flow, something can phase or amplify much more easily and take a favorable track...I think we have both never written off that period

even with higher heights in the east, if we get that temporary split flow, something can phase or amplify much more easily and take a favorable track...I think we have both never written off that period

Nope, we haven't. And the 2/20 period could also become interesting if the latest Roundy guidance is correct with a slower IO forcing signal. The reason the CFS is so cold late Feb is because it barely gets the forcing out of the IO, which this time of year doesn't mean warmth. There will probably be a torch though at some point to end the month / early March once we get forcing over Indonesia. How quickly do we come out of that is another interesting question. I don't think the end of this winter is as clear cut as last year at this time which clearly said "warmth and 80s are on the way for March."

By the way, Feb 8-12 has above normal heights on the GFS suite because they are phasing the southern low early and taking the inland track solution. This is certainly a possibility; but, if the northern stream continues to contain formidable waves under the sinking Hudson Vortex, I find it hard to believe the southern low will cut inland.

through 2/6....yes...plus the clippers this weekend...hopefully 1 of the 4 perform

I like the last one best as the vort goes to our south and it looks like a low develops to our south but having multiple chances to score is better than just one.  I'm much less optimistic about the system that digs into the southwest than HM but I pretty much expressed my thoughts yesterday. I hope the southern stream energy lasts beyond the 14 or so as we should flip back to below normal again after our warm up. 

I like the last one best as the vort goes to our south and it looks like a low develops to our south but having multiple chances to score is better than just one.  I'm much less optimistic about the system that digs into the southwest than HM but I pretty much expressed my thoughts yesterday. I hope the southern stream energy lasts beyond the 14 or so as we should flip back to below normal again after our warm up. 

the day 8 event doesnt look great as of now...but it is more of a SWFE than a cutter so we never really torch...

I haven't seen the new run but I understand the concerns. I wouldn't mind waiting for a fresh supply of cold and holding back the southern stuff until after it passes. The good news is that this doesn't look like last year at this time.

the day 8 event doesnt look great as of now...but it is more of a SWFE than a cutter so we never really torch...

But then we have the upper low that will lift out of the southwest to help warm us up. I don't see that feature going south of us.  The bulk of the ens members take it northeast and to our north.  Once it gets by we can go cold again. 

Keep talking about this warm up...how warm is it supposed to get?

You didn't read my article yesterday.  for shame, for shame.  Probably not a torch but it should get in the 50s or maybe even 60 one day ahead of the front associated with the southwest system if we are sunny.    I don't see it being like our torch but being a warmer than normal period but not until we deal with our clipperfest.

Keep talking about this warm up...how warm is it supposed to get?

But then we have the upper low that will lift out of the southwest to help warm us up. I don't see that feature going south of us.  The bulk of the ens members take it northeast and to our north.  Once it gets by we can go cold again. 

Not saying it is right, but the entire run is cold except day 10 when we warm briefly with the weak lakes cutter before presumably getting cold again a day later....the problem with the day 9-10 threat is there is a low that goes to the lakes so we really have no chance even with a real southern stream though looks more promising than before..there is even a semblance of a low in the south...we probably hit 60 on day 11 before the front comes through (assuming a low goes to the lakes)

You didn't read my article yesterday.  for shame, for shame.  Probably not a torch but it should get in the 50s or maybe even 60 one day ahead of the front associated with the southwest system if we are sunny.    I don't see it being like our torch but being a warmer than normal period but not until we deal with our clipperfest.

Thanks Wes, I admit it I didn't read it....work got in the way...promise I won't miss the next one when you talk about your call for PD3 :pimp:

Not saying it is right, but the entire run is cold except day 10 when we warm briefly with the weak lakes cutter before presumably getting cold again a day later....the problem with the day 9-10 threat is there is a low that goes to the lakes so we really have no chance even with a real southern stream though looks more promising than before..there is even a semblance of a low in the south...we probably hit 60 on day 11 before the front comes through (assuming a low goes to the lakes)

To me the low up towards the lakes on Friday would put that day above normal for temps though certainly not super warm.  Mins may be above normal on Day 9.  Days 10 and 11 probably would be above normal but the high off coast and easterly flow might make the maxes quite a bit cooler than the flow pattern would suggest.  Course we also might hit 60 at 7Am again.  Who really knows that far out.  I'm surprised by the high pressure on the euro.  

The ECMWF is very different with how it handles the polar vortex. It never really revolves the vortex southward, like the GFS. If the ECMWF is right with how the PV will behave, there definitely is no chance with the first Pacific low. We would have to wait for the front to go through, as Wes / Matt have stated.

To me the low up towards the lakes on Friday would put that day above normal for temps though certainly not super warm.  Mins may be above normal on Day 9.  Days 10 and 11 probably would be above normal but the high off coast and easterly flow might make the maxes quite a bit cooler than the flow pattern would suggest.  Course we also might hit 60 at 7Am again.  Who really knows that far out.  I'm surprised by the high pressure on the euro.  

we are low 50s at 240 hours (12z Monday)...not sure how quikly the front comes through after that...There is some decent organization in the south with teh day 9 system....not sure of the effect...the primary still goes from the 4-corners to the lakes

we are low 50s at 240 hours (12z Monday)...not sure how quikly the front comes through after that...There is some decent organization in the south with teh day 9 system....not sure of the effect...the primary still goes from the 4-corners to the lakes

What happened to the 7-8 day system?

Archived