northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're probably right, but it seems there's a moisture connection to the south this time.

Still, the odds are in your camp. I guess it's either do this or give up.

It could be more just not sure we will know till like 24 hrs or less out.

Nam is good enuf. Still 60 hours till its deadly range anyways.

Solid .1 stripe is a hint that hasn't been there till today. Dc south is fine attm.

Wish I was as confident as you.  For use, the track of the low would be better a tad south.  This is a warm advection event since the vort is so pathetic.  We need to be north of the low enough to get in the better warm advection. 

Wish I was as confident as you. For use, the track of the low would be better a tad south. This is a warm advection event since the vort is so pathetic. We need to be north of the low enough to get in the better warm advection.

Wes nothing is perfect for us, I like our chances though for heavier precip from waa. It somewhat compensates for a weak vort, though with the wavelength a bit better I'd expect a stronger vort that at least digs a bit more. Its more legitimate for us than the frequent .5-1"ers, if it panned out, could be 2-3" for someone.

Wish I was as confident as you. For use, the track of the low would be better a tad south. This is a warm advection event since the vort is so pathetic. We need to be north of the low enough to get in the better war

m advection.

Not really confident as much as relieved the entire thing isn't splitting apart and drying up as it passes.

Looks like another .5 to an inch. Best case would be 2" if we can get some help with a surface low.

Plenty of time for things to fall apart.

Not really confident as much as relieved the entire thing isn't splitting apart and drying up as it passes.

Looks like another .5 to an inch. Best case would be 2" if we can get some help with a surface low.

Plenty of time for things to fall apart.

HI-RES NAM looks like a carbon copy of the NAM... lil precip near DC and south

We aren't going to have .25 on there over all of dc/md, lets just be happy if this one rolls right it could be 1-2 for some. It'll change

Usually clipper precip gets eaten up by the mts and no one east really gets much... this run somehow gets N/C MD a nice 0.1 of QPF but leaves VA and DC pretty much high and dry... which is odd.   Must be the warm advection Wes was talking about.  You just dont see that much

Usually clipper precip gets eaten up by the mts and no one east really gets much... this run somehow gets N/C MD a nice 0.1 of QPF but leaves VA and DC pretty much high and dry... which is odd.   Must be the warm advection Wes was talking about.  You just dont see that much

Precip just disappears once east. Clippers are for folks well east. I grew up in Philadelphia and clippers usually delivered something. Now I am just high and dry

i think we've seen at this point what clippers can do.  for all the recent transplants, now you know.  i've lived here for most of my life and we can overperform in a clipper, but most of the time it's exactly how it's been the last several times.  usually no precip issues, but very little in the way of moisture.  unless these systems pack a punch, the mountains usually leave us hangin'.  i think the 2/4-2/5 system is our best opportunity for something legitimate.  we need the gulf to start opening up for business again.

I don't understand why you think that's odd. The final outcome is not going to be this NAM run verbatim, but what's strange about the stripe of best snows north of any clipper's path? It sounds like you are suggesting the entire DC region ought to experience similar outcomes from clippers when we know that the bullseye is often pretty narrow.

I don't understand why you think that's odd. The final outcome is not going to be this NAM run verbatim, but what's strange about the stripe of best snows north of any clipper's path? It sounds like you are suggesting the entire DC region ought to experience similar outcomes from clippers when we know that the bullseye is often pretty narrow.

the added elevation helps northern maryland probably more than some of us think.  i think when the precip looks showery like it did today is a result of a system that just lacks the dynamics and moisture to compensate for the downsloping we see on our side of the mountains.

Also there is a down-sloping component with these weaker systems in that area The recent clippers also have been redeveloping along the coast, although in the fast flow any impacts are mainly to the east of the bay and mostly offshore. This is exactly how Eastern MD, DE, SNJ ended up getting 3-7 inches from Friday's clipper. Just close enough to catch some of the dynamics from the coastal development.

Also there is a down-sloping component with these weaker systems in that area The recent clippers also have been redeveloping along the coast, although in the fast flow any impacts are mainly to the east of the bay and mostly offshore. This is exactly how Eastern MD, DE, SNJ ended up getting 3-7 inches from Friday's clipper. Just close enough to catch some of the dynamics from the coastal development.

That down sloping component is huge back here. If we have any east component to the wind, we're fine. Without it, we are in danger of getting what we got yesterday afternoon, nothing. In the night the winds shifted to an e/se direction and now we're getting a little light snow.

I looked at the D+11 superen analogs today and the pattern does look like it switched to cold around the 14th give or take a day.  The we have colder than normal for 3 or 4 days before the analogs retrogress the trough enough to get us warm again.  The ens mean from the GRFS does not show that look and suggests the colder temps could have more legs than that.  I only deal with two weeks at a time. Right now except for our clippers I don't see any snow and even the clippers are starting to look shakey. The analogs did offer 3 snow events so after the 14th the pattern isn't hopeless.  I'm still not sold on the pattern for snow but that could change depending on the amount of stj energy I see.  What I don't like that much about the pattern is the above normal heights near nova scotia and points just to its east.  That may be an unfounded bias on my part because I like looking for big storms and having high heights there usually isn't good for getting a big one. 

Archived