Newest Member
    joxey
January 21/22 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most here know this.

Most... seemed like a "here it comes" atmosphere with some posts, when in reality bulk of our synoptic stuff is literally still over PA.

In any case, it's nice to see good accumulations even with this stuff... we are getting decent obs in locations with barely 20 dbz echoes.

RAP depicts this well... this is the stuff that eventually blossoms over NJ and moves up into eastern SNE (including eastern CT) by 7Z:

Yea I'm trying to guesstimate timing on things. It appears that PHL stuff heads over the ocean and interacts with/induces a mesolow? to form somewhere over SNE and enhance precip then induce the inv trough into SE ME/NH when it heads east of BOS - timing appears to be around midnight?

I'm not exactly sure of all the meso-processes at play but that's my best guess for timing - somewhere around midnight for round 2 to form in SNE if it forms at all.

Yea I'm trying to guesstimate timing on things. It appears that PHL stuff heads over the ocean and interacts with/induces a mesolow? to form somewhere over SNE and enhance precip then induce the inv trough into SE ME/NH when it heads east of BOS - timing appears to be around midnight?

I'm not exactly sure of all the meso-processes at play but that's my best guess for timing - somewhere around midnight for round 2 to form in SNE if it forms at all.

Yeah that's my read as well from the RAP and HRRR... best stuff starts to develop in eastern CT / RI / SEMA around 12-1am...

But wow, really impressed by the visibilities we are already getting even with 20-25 dbz echoes.

I am surprised that Matt Noyes just said a C-2 for Boston. What do you guys think?

Could be C-2" just as it could be 4-6" or better, short range models suggest C-2" but some other mesos have us at much more, it's one of those things that we won't know really until probably midnight as it's unfolding. It's all just mesoscale processes that aren't modeled all that well.

That is after this initial band which should give us the C-2"

Archived