Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21/22 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Not sure. We may be done. 

Was just looking back and saw someone posted the MM5.  I cannot recall the last time it verified for QPF...or even close to it down here. 

Looks like about .5" more uniformly.  We are right under the band on radar, 2-3" would seem to be a higher probability here from this first burst, only about 1.5" to go.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just looking back and saw someone posted the MM5.  I cannot recall the last time it verified for QPF...or even close to it down here. 

Looks like about .5" more uniformly.  We are right under the band on radar, 2-3" would seem to be a higher probability here from this first burst, only about 1.5" to go.

radar looking really good right now.

Not sure. We may be done.

Was just looking back and saw someone posted the MM5. I cannot recall the last time it verified for QPF...or even close to it down here.

Looks like about .5" more uniformly. We are right under the band on radar, 2-3" would seem to be a higher probability here from this first burst, only about 1.5" to go.

I'd be surprised if you don't near 4" out of this event

I'd be surprised if you don't near 4" out of this event

Just to be clear I wasn't the one that said that we might be done...that was ryan in response to CT Blizz.  For some reason quoting is still messed up so your post shows my quote and his quote as one.

This one band looks to be setting up nicely.  I think it vanishes later, but it's high fluff snow so it's sticking pretty fast since I've been back.  I'm not sold on the backside snow, what are your thoughts on later tonight once this moves off?  Is that stuff OES generated or was it all trough?

RGEM/EURO and even the NAM I think kind of hint at it mainly missing east? 

If we get another good burst int he interior it will be from when the westerly winds out in NY State meet up with the light NE winds currently over much of the region. This is what the NAM showed happening overnight and some of the good RAP runs. Its possible it craps out but that is the nowcasting nature of these events. The precip usually blossoms out of nothing so its hard to use upstream radar as a big indicator.

If we get another good burst int he interior it will be from when the westerly winds out in NY State meet up with the light NE winds currently over much of the region. This is what the NAM showed happening overnight and some of the good RAP runs. Its possible it craps out but that is the nowcasting nature of these events. The precip usually blossoms out of nothing so its hard to use upstream radar as a big indicator.

Is that what's happening in NY State and NE Pa?

Is that what's happening in NY State and NE Pa?

To a small extent...if it goes well, we'll see the precip blossom a lot more as it oges near SNE...stuff will come out of nowhere, but again, its possible we don't see much more. There's actually already some light stuff blossoming SW of ORH right now. We'll just have to watch it.

To a small extent...if it goes well, we'll see the precip blossom a lot more as it oges near SNE...stuff will come out of nowhere, but again, its possible we don't see much more. There's actually already some light stuff blossoming SW of ORH right now. We'll just have to watch it.

like Xmas Eve event in Early 90's Reminds me of that.

Finally...  24hr qpf from 12z MM5 is out...

Not sure why this isn't referenced so much anymore, but it may be pretty realistic... we shall see.

Light greenish in southeast MA is ~0.4"

0.5" line cuts through south of Plymouth and all of Cape is > 0.5"

attachicon.gifpcp24.36.0000.gif

That was me

No attachment whatsoever to MM5, just thought I'd add another hi-res model to the mix while we're trying to sort out any meso enhancement.

In any case, the MM5 was not so unreasonable... 3-4 in southeast MA, > 5 in coastal southeast MA and Cape.

In fact, the NWS Box map has more, particularly for the south shore coast down to the Cape.

Archived