• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Favorite Winter Storm

Kilgore Trout

By far the best event, better than 1/25/00...it actually snowed a lot of it during the daytime, it was actually a one two punch...

If I remember, temperatures fell to around 20 degrees that afternoon (I live northeast of Raleigh) as it was snowing. One of the few chances I've been able to see heavy dry snow fall during the daytime. Also the first time I remember the pipes under the kitchen sink freezing in the middle of the afternoon!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been blessed to be in some great ones.

1) 18 inches in Cullowhee superstorm 93

2) 15 inches in January 2000 Carolina Crusher (suprise element, put's it ahead of #3)

3) 17 inches February 2004 (Jburns Avatar)

4) Ice storm December 2002 (don't care to go through one of that severe ever again.Well over 1.00 liquid solid freezing rain with temps @ 23 degrees )

5) December 25 2010. 5 inches of Christmas snow

6) 12 inches January 2002

Best 9 day stretch of winter weather was January 2000. Had 3 seperate events in a 9-10 day spell. Of course it ended with the Crusher and really winter outside of that time span was above normal and blah.

Lost power for over a week with # 2 and 4

3 of those 6 events I listed above occured within in a 2 1/2 year time span.

Dec. 25 and 26 2010, first time I have seen snow on Christmas Day plus my birthday.

accum.20101225.and.20101226.separate.gif

I am with Rosie on this one, been through a lot of storms before but this one was special for several reasons. A big Christmas snow is just amazing and something that just doesn't happen often in the SE. Having this board to track the system was just pure madness. The highs, lows, & everything in between.....It's there, it's gone, were done, don't give up hope,wait its come back, & It's snowing! And of course waking up way before the kids to catch up on the boards & then reading two of my all time favorite afd's from GSP including one of the best lines ever:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --THE PAST FEW MODEL RUNS HAVE VEERED DRAMATICALLY BACK INTO THE HEAVY

SNOW CAMP FOR THE WESTERN CAROLINAS AND NE GA FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT.

A NRN STREAM STREAM SHORT WAVE IS DIGGING MORE THAN THE MODELS HAD

ORIGINALLY PREDICTED. THIS FEATURE CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN AS

INDICATED BY THE INCREASING DARK BAND ON WATER VAPOR IMAGERY OVER

THE SRN PLAINS. THIS IS RESULTING IS DOWNSTREAM UPPER DIVERGENCE AND

QG FORCING. A BAND OF 600 MB FRONTOGENESIS EXTENDS ACROSS TN AND

INTO WRN NC. THIS BAND IS MOST CLOSELY ASSOCIATED WITH THE PCPN OVER

SRN TN. THE FRONTOGENESIS IS PROGGED TO STRENGTHEN THROUGH 18

UTC...WHICH MATCHES THE INCREASING PCPN TREND. THE LATEST GFS AND

ECMWF NOW HAVE 0.50 TO 0.75 INCHES OF LIQUID EQUIVALENT PCPN OVER

THE MTNS OF NC/SC/GA AND THE NC FOOTHILLS THROUGH 00 UTC TODAY. WITH

A SNOW RATIO OF 12:1...THIS WOULD YIELD OVER 8 INCHES OF SNOW IN

SPOTS. WE/VE BEEN PLAYING CATCHUP WITH THIS EVENT...AND THE 6 INCH

TOTALS I HAVE IN THE CENTRAL AND SRN NC MTNS TODAY WILL PROBABLY

NEED TO BE BUMPED UP ANOTHER COUPLE INCHES AT LEAST. THIS AMOUNT OF

SNOW IS LIKELY TO DOWN TREES...CAUSE POWER OUTAGES AND WILL MAKE

CHRISTMAS TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE OVER MUCH OF THE MTNS BY LATER IN

THE MORNING....WITH THE NC FOOTHILLS EXPERIENCING SIMILAR CONDITIONS

LATER IN THE DAY. IN SHORT...THIS IS GOING TO BE A SIGNIFICANT AND

DANGEROUS WINTER STORM FOR THE MTNS AND FOOTHILLS TODAY.

THEN THERE IS PART TWO. A POTENT SRN STREAM SHORT WAVE...WHICH IS

ONLY INDIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HEAVY SNOW TODAY...WILL BE

PICKED UP BY THE NRN STREAM WAVE. AS THE NRN STREAM WAVE IS SLOWER

AND DEEPER...IT LOOKS TO PHASE MORE WITH THE SRN STREAM ENERGY THAN

ORIGINALLY EXPECTED. AS STRONG DEEP LAYER Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE

DEVELOPS OVER THE REGION TONIGHT...A PIVOTING BAND OF SNOW IS

EXPECTED TO CONTINUE OVER THE EASTERN PART OF THE FA. BOTH NAM AND

GFS CROSS SECTIONS SHOW A GOOD AREA OF NEGATIVE EPV CROSSING THE

FOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT TOWARD 0600 UTC. AS THIS HAPPENS...A PERIOD

OF HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE I-77 CORRIDOR AND INTO THE

CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN UPSTATE. FOR NOW I/M JUST GOING WITH 2 TO 4

INCHES OF SNOW FOR THESE AREAS...WHICH IS STILL ENOUGH TO WARRANT A

WINTER STORM WARNING UP THE I-85 AND I-77 CORRIDORS. HOWEVER...IF

THIS WESTWARD ADJUSTMENT AND PHASING CONTINUES...THEN HEAVIER SNOW

IS VERY POSSIBLE.

THIS IS SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND FOR THE URBAN CORRIDOR FROM

GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG UP TO THE CHARLOTTE METRO AREAS. IT WILL TAKE

SOME TIME FOR THE LOWEST LEVELS TO COOL TODAY AND FOR ALL SNOW TO

FALL ACROSS THESE AREA. HOWEVER...THIS SECONDARY AREA OF FORCING

WITH THE SRN STREAM WAVE IS LIKELY TO REINVIGORATE THE PCPN THIS

EVENING...RESULTING IN A RAPID TRANSITION TO HEAVY SNOW WHERE THERE

WAS A MIX BEFORE. STILL...I THINK THE URBAN CORRIDOR WILL CHANGE

OVER IN THE 19 TO 20 UTC TIME FRAME...WHICH IS PLENTY OF TIME TO

WATCH THE SNOW FALL AND EXPERIENCE A WHITE CHRISTMAS OVER THE

PIEDMONT.

-- End Changed Discussion --

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --SOMETIMES I THINK I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FARMER. AT LONG LAST...WE

/THINK/ WE ARE GETTING A SOLID HANDLE ON THE UNFOLDING WINTER

WEATHER EVENT ACROSS THE WESTERN CAROLINAS/NORTHEAST GEORGIA.

HOWEVER...IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT CONFIDENCE DROPS OFF SHARPLY AFTER

THE FIRST 6 HOURS OR SO...AS MUCH OF THIS EVENT WILL BE DOMINATED BY

MESOSCALE AND EVEN CONVECTIVE SCALE PROCESSES.

AS OF 16Z...A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WAS WELL ESTABLISHED

OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND ALONG THE I-40 CORRIDOR EAST OF THE BLUE

RIDGE. THIS WILL ONLY GRADUALLY DRIFT/EXPAND TO THE SOUTH AND EAST

WITH TIME. IN FACT...THE BACK EDGE OF THE FRONTOGENETICALLY FORCED

PRECIP WILL PROBABLY NOT MAKE SIGNIFICANT EASTWARD PROGRESS UNTIL

THE SURFACE LOW MAKES THE JUMP TO OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST THIS

EVENING. THEREFORE...THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO PILE UP WHERE ITS

ALREADY FALLING...AND ACCUMULATIONS WILL NEED AN UPWARD ADJUSTMENT.

WE WILL NOW ADVERTISE 8-12 INCHES THROUGH TONIGHT ACROSS A GOOD

CHUNK OF THE MOUNTAINS...AND BUMP THE I-40 PORTION OF THE

PIEDMONT/FOOTHILLS TO 5 TO 8 INCHES. AS USUAL...THE LOCALLY HIGHER

AMOUNTS CAVEAT APPLIES.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20030123/

The study posted here has a great read on why places around you netted 12"+

Here ya go.  It's not often that we get more snow in the foothills/piedmont than they manage in the mountains.  But this was one of those times.

Thanks guys, I remember reading that case study a few years ago.  That is really one of the first times I can remember seeing a tv met go into detail about a possibility leading to more snowfall in a localized area.  I was hooked on weather before that night but watching Eric do the weather forecast that night cemented in me the desire to dig a little deeper into the "why" of things.  I tend to only lend observations and the occasional banter to the board, but maybe one of these days I'll join in on the disco.  Side note and totally off-topic but talking about this high school weather event made me remember:  Brandon (HKYwx) and I played against each other in high school golf, so I've always thought it was a small world once I saw he was the man behind the handle.

For me in Charleston, it would have to be 2/12/10. Unlike most other winter storms here, it was trackable for days. Instead of being nervous about if snow was going to fall, it was the amount of snow.

It started as a cold, heavy rain, then changed over and we got probably four hours of moderate snow. To see 2.5" IMBY and everything snow covered was great. Not too far inland there were spots with 8" or 9". What was impressive about that storm was that nearly every area of the Carolinas had snow on the ground then. That was when the marathon in Myrtle Beach got cancelled.

The snow we had two days before Thanksgiving in 2006 was great too. Having snow fall in November in Charleston was a crazy sight.

The storm of March 1980 is probably one of the best storms in my area, right up there with Jan 2000, Jan 2002, and Dec 2010.

Two images attached. First, a picture my mom took of the snow and drifts from March 1980. Second, the accumulation map -- the red dot is where this picture was taken.

post-2943-0-20634100-1358572472_thumb.jp

post-2943-0-22324200-1358572530_thumb.gi

accum.20101225.and.20101226.separate.gif

I am with Rosie on this one, been through a lot of storms before but this one was special for several reasons. A big Christmas snow is just amazing and something that just doesn't happen often in the SE. Having this board to track the system was just pure madness. The highs, lows, & everything in between.....It's there, it's gone, were done, don't give up hope,wait its come back, & It's snowing! And of course waking up way before the kids to catch up on the boards & then reading two of my all time favorite afd's from GSP including one of the best lines ever:

Ya Don I have to agree that storm was great. I remember the 1993 storm and will always be my number one but the Christmas day storm was special. Snowed for 2 days straight and ended up with 2 feet of snow. Had a Chevy 2500 and could not make it up my mountain road. Was Awsome!

Nothing will ever top March 93...infact I don't expect to see another storm of that magnitude in my lifetime. Not only for all the conditions that I experienced but this storm was the first that the media predicted several days in advance. It was really the first time that Meteorologists made reference to the computer models to the general public...that event changed the how weather was presented.

1/23/03 also stands out for its unique setup. Brandon (HKY) and I had literally a PBP of that storm on the old Wright-Weather forums. That storm will always be known for the infamous "Meso-Low".

Those storms in the mid to late 80's...well I was too young to remember details but it did always seem like we had at least 1 big snow per year in that decade. There was also a late season storm in April of either 86 or 87 that dropped about 6 inches of snow on us.

Dec 19th 2009 is the one of recent memory that stands out...is was that storm that began what was the most active winter season in my lifetime.

I was still fairly young then, but 1/25/00 was obviously amazing and definitely has to be #1.

Aside from that, 3/2/09, 1/31/10, and 12/25/10 were great, too.  All were 6"+ here.

I would imagine that February 2004 was amazing, but I didn't live here then.  I moved to WV in December 2003, so I just missed that one by a few months...  :axe:

My favorite winter was 2009-2010 and it isn't even close.  We had big ones in 12/19/09, 1/31/10, and ended up with a few inches on the front end from the two DC Snowmegeddon storms.  We also got a few inches in early March, I believe.  I think the final tally was almost 20" that year.  No year can touch that for me aside from maybe 1999-2000, not even my three winters in West Virginia (where my location averaged 24" per year and we never got more than 16" in my time there).

No map to show but my favorite was Feb. 1979 in Winston-Salem. It put down 14" and the temp never got above 10 degrees and the wind blew at 30mph during the bulk of the storm. That was the coldest I have ever been when I went outside during the height of the storm and walked up my street. I remember watching Lee Kinard on News2 break into the normal programming and issue a blizzard and wind chill warning with the temp on the screen showing 5 degrees

Yeah I remember the Feb. 1979 snowstorm very well in Greenwood, SC. It was 15 degrees at mid afternoon with heavy snow.  I love a really cold storm like that.

Feb. 1973, a complete surprise and the all time highest snowfall total ever recorded in SC,  24", and it was way over in the eastern part of the state.

March 25th, yes the 5th day of Spring 1971, Complete surprise. Started just after 11am, and snowed flakes between the size of golf balls and tennis balls all day long.

March 1983 about the second day of Spring I think. Complete surprise.

Jan. 7th 1988 another very cold snowstorm, upper teens during the day. Brrrr

Jan. 24th 2000, Complete surprise.

So some or I could say MOST of the big ones that really stand out in my mind were complete and utter surprises.

March 93 snow was awesome.Jan 2000 starting on MLD birthday for 2 weeks.Best winter recently 2009/2010.

The Dec 18th snow was one I'll never forget.My father went to heaven on Dec 18th 2008 so GOD gave that

storm.The best snowstorms are the bone's that over produce.

Yeah I remember the Feb. 1979 snowstorm very well in Greenwood, SC. It was 15 degrees at mid afternoon with heavy snow.  I love a really cold storm like that.

Feb. 1973, a complete surprise and the all time highest snowfall total ever recorded in SC,  24", and it was way over in the eastern part of the state.

March 25th, yes the 5th day of Spring 1971, Complete surprise. Started just after 11am, and snowed flakes between the size of golf balls and tennis balls all day long.

So some or I could say MOST of the big ones that really stand out in my mind were complete and utter surprises.

Here's my list....

Jan 7/8th 1988...... best by far 17 inches (temps near 20 degrees) heavy snow for hours.

Feb 1969......15 inches of snow with thunder. (I was just a kid but still remember it)

Mar 2nd 1980.... very cold temps (9 degrees) with heavy snow.

Jan 1987..... heavy snow (looked like chicken feathers falling from the sky at one point)

Jan 23,2003....incredible ratios, 9 inches or pure powder with thunder snow

Mar 1st 2009 Thunder snow

Dec 25th 2010 heavy snow on Christmas Day...need I say anything else

Let's not forget the ice-storms

Dec 2002

Jan 1996

That 1979 storm was so cold that the ratios were insane. Snow was so dry it was hard to make into snowballs and I would bet ratios of 20-1 were not uncommon

Two of my favorites for Athens, GA were March 1, 2009 (6.5") and January 9-10, 2011 (8.8").

But my all timer was February 1969. We had alternating snow, sleet and freezing rain for a good 36 hours. The best part about it was I got snowed in with my future (and yes, present) wife.

I know I am young but the Jan. 17th 2013 storm tops the list in terms of snowfall rates. I would be surprised to not hear it receive a honorable mention in south-west VA into the high country of NC. 

Even great snow storms that produce double digit snowfall totals in Wilkes lack those types of rate. Combined with flooding and rain leading up to a winter storm days in advance is unusual. 

My favorites:

1/25/2000: First time I witnessed a foot. Stayed up to experience the near blizzard conditions overnight. Awesomeness

1/22/23/2003: Freshman year at State. Beat Duke on the 22nd, snowed 3 inches that night. Got a couple more in an intense "Lake Effect Band" off of Falls Lake. Then family headed down to the OBX to see the storms after effects. Never forget seeing the 4 foot drifts on the dunes and the sounds frozen over.

12/25/26/2010: Second white Christmas (Had ~3" on the ground Christmas Day 1989.) Started snowing and accumulating a little before midnight, so it counts. Awesome being in the bullseye of the deformation band. Had 15" before all was said and don't. 

I 100% agree I was 8 during the 88 storm.

1lUK4.gif

But these two event in January of 87 shut down our local school system for almost 2 1/2 weeks. I recall building a snow fort with my two brothers. That fort finally melted in late April. 

iXHdJ.gif

accum.19870126.gif

That was the first winter we lived here and my dad and I built a big Igloo. My mom has a picture at her house. I'll have to try and stop by there tomorrow and bring it home so I can post it. I wish we would get another storm like that for my girls to experience before they get too old.

Archived