• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Favorite Winter Storm

Kilgore Trout

Many of us are disappointed that we can still see our lawns today, so I figured it would be a good time to remember the good ol' days.  Having grown up in warm weather places like California and Louisiana, it wasn't until my teen years that I moved to North Carolina and snow was a real possibility.  But I was living in Jacksonville, NC, so snow was very rare there as well.  At least until just before Christmas in 1989.  It was a freak setup where some of the coldest air that I have experienced in North Carolina combined with an offshore low that decided to skirt the coast to produce nearly a foot and a half of snow.  I can still remember the sound of the wind howling and the depth of some of the snowdrifts.  The strange thing was that the further inland you went, the less snow you had.  To this day, it is the most snow I have ever experienced, and I have lived in Asheville for almost 16 years.  

image003.jpg

Honorable mention would be the January 27, 1998 storm in Asheville which produced about 15 inches at my house.  The funny thing about that storm is there was no winter weather warning of any kind.  The official forecast was 'snow changing to rain', and the held unto that forecast until there was several inches on the ground.  An isothermal layer had set up and maintained itself throughout the storm.  The flakes were big and wet, and I can remember the eerie sounds of limbs cracking along with transformers blowing up around town.  That was a few months after moving up here and I have yet to have a snow that impressive.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 100% agree I was 8 during the 88 storm.

1lUK4.gif

"When the present sucks, look to the past" - was this directed at certain ACC football supporters? ^_^

January of 1988 closely followed by January 1987.

But these two event in January of 87 shut down our local school system for almost 2 1/2 weeks. I recall building a snow fort with my two brothers. That fort finally melted in late April. 

iXHdJ.gif

accum.19870126.gif

But these two event in January of 87 shut down our local school system for almost 2 1/2 weeks. I recall building a snow fort with my two brothers. That fort finally melted in late April. 

Yes - '87 shut us down for a week and a half.  It doesn't get talked about as much as '88 though.

I remember the 1998 storm. They were calling for rain and we got hammered. Best storm of all time is of course, March 93.

I was on the coast for that one.  Flurries in Brunswick County to go along with hurricane force winds and coastal flooding.  I can only imagine what it was like in the mountains.

Also, not surprised to see many folks post about the Carolina Crusher.  I remember being extremely jealous of that storm when I was living in Asheville.

Other than my 3 years in Boone (01-04), that was to this day, the best stretch of winter in my life...

Can't believe that double shot in 87.  Looks like many areas got 20 plus inches over two storms separated by just a couple of days.  That kind of thing happening today would send this board over a cliff.

The 80s were a fantastic decade for WNC in terms of snowfall.  My first 10 years of life were spent during that decade in Caldwell County, NC.  And I lived there through roughly 2000.  To think that I once thought all winters would be like that...

March 93 is the one I remember more, though.  Nobody's posted that map yet, so here we go.  School out for a couple weeks.  My family moved in with some friends of ours for the duration since our power was out for about a week.  Crazy stuff, and I was old enough to actually remember it all pretty well.

rY0vI.gif

March of 1993 when I was living in Rome, Georgia.  It's easy to see why it was called "The Storm of the Century"...18" of snow (including my first experience with thundersnow) along with the first time I could ever recall a forecast for our area containing the words "blizzard conditions."  I have a copy of the AFD's and Special Weather Statements issued from the Birmingham, AL NWS concerning that event and one, in particular, reveals the amazing breadth and power of this storm.  At 2:07 a.m. on March 13th, every county in the state of Alabama was under a Heavy Snow Warning.  A truly remarkable storm that will likely not be repeated in our lifetime.  Although we lost power for 7 days, I'm glad that I was able to witness the Storm of the Century firsthand.

I remember that storm very well. I was 13 at the time and we were able to sled all the way down the road ( just about 5 tenths of a mile) in the 13" snow tracks that froze up after cars tried to make it up the street.   It was epic!

The 80s were a fantastic decade for WNC in terms of snowfall.  My first 10 years of life were spent during that decade in Caldwell County, NC.  And I lived there through roughly 2000.  To think that I once thought all winters would be like that...

March 93 is the one I remember more, though.  Nobody's posted that map yet, so here we go.  School out for a couple weeks.  My family moved in with some friends of ours for the duration since our power was out for about a week.  Crazy stuff, and I was old enough to actually remember it all pretty well.

rY0vI.gif

There was one in high school, would have been Jan 03, that I remember staying up waiting for snow to fall and finally right as Eric Thomas came on the 11 o'clock news we had snow falling in northern Catawba County. He mentioned something about a 500mb low tracking through the foothills and it helped with some forcing and what not to give us 9 inches of some of the driest snow I've seen in NC. Next morning was cold and windy and that night we had temps fall in the single digits (8 or 9). That snow hung around for like a week I think and the bottom of the school parking lot was rock hard ice for a few days since they never scraped it. Of course 3/93 is an all-time favorite too. My parents were actually at the beach during that storm, I remember 8 year old me dragging my 3 year old brother through the woods with me at my grandparents.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20030123/
The study posted here has a great read on why places around you netted 12"+

There was one in high school, would have been Jan 03, that I remember staying up waiting for snow to fall and finally right as Eric Thomas came on the 11 o'clock news we had snow falling in northern Catawba County. He mentioned something about a 500mb low tracking through the foothills and it helped with some forcing and what not to give us 9 inches of some of the driest snow I've seen in NC. Next morning was cold and windy and that night we had temps fall in the single digits (8 or 9). That snow hung around for like a week I think and the bottom of the school parking lot was rock hard ice for a few days since they never scraped it. Of course 3/93 is an all-time favorite too. My parents were actually at the beach during that storm, I remember 8 year old me dragging my 3 year old brother through the woods with me at my grandparents.

Here ya go.  It's not often that we get more snow in the foothills/piedmont than they manage in the mountains.  But this was one of those times.

8qDmk.gif

I wish I were alive for Dec 1989. Anyone have a map?

Map of NC totals in first post, but here is the link to the narrative of the storm that also has some pictures at the bottom of the page.  It was a fascinating synoptic situation that will not likely duplicate itself in my lifetime (of course I would not be on the coast anyway to see such an event again).

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/mhx/EventReviews/19891223/19891223.php

No map to show but my favorite was Feb. 1979 in Winston-Salem. It put down 14" and the temp never got above 10 degrees and the wind blew at 30mph during the bulk of the storm. That was the coldest I have ever been when I went outside during the height of the storm and walked up my street. I remember watching Lee Kinard on News2 break into the normal programming and issue a blizzard and wind chill warning with the temp on the screen showing 5 degrees

Don't have a favorite, but I'll post what I think personally were the best ones.

-January 2-3, 2002

-March 1, 2009 (First time seeing/hearing thundersnow)

-February 12, 2010

-December 25, 2010 (My First White Christmas)

-January 9-10, 2011

If I was old enough to remember the Superstorm of '93 (I was only 4 mos. old then) that would definitely round off my top 6. The baby photos taken on my grandmother's front porch alone shows how awesome it was!  :snowing:

Archived