12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 17-18th disco thread--1st big threat of the year

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM loses to the GFS and SREF mean at 36 hrs and has a high bias for  the .75 or greater threshold.  That's part of the reason matt has expressed worry. 

It's not like what the NAM is showing is much better in this case than the GFS or most recent SREF mean...especially for those on the edge, who would prefer the other two over the NAM.

Ji....NAM was 1-3ish for JYO and around 4"+ for IAD. As the crow flies IAD is about 8-10 miles from our houses...I'm not too concerned about being left out at this point with this scenario...we either get decent stuff or nothing and if nothing then most North of Woodbridge are in the same boat. Been on this ride before...I'm all about riding the fringe.

Ji....NAM was 1-3ish for JYO and around 4"+ for IAD. As the crow flies IAD is about 8-10 miles from our houses...I'm not too concerned about being left out at this point with this scenario...we either get decent stuff or nothing and if nothing then most North of Woodbridge are in the same boat. Been on this ride before...I'm all about riding the fringe.

Im moving to tavistock farms

Here's 18z from yesterday through 12z today side by side. You can easily see what is going on here. 18z was the first hint @ an 850 low popping but still sucked for us. The model is honing in on the 850 dynamics combined with 500 as time goes by. First a 1012, then a 1008. Taking any cutoff line verbatim right now is crazy. It can go either way at this point but the trend towards wetter in DC is a great thing. We've been here before with mixed results. Majority is a bigger move NW (as has been stated by many already). 

Why would anyone have expectation that a discrete model would be skilled enough to nail down the precip shield 36 hours out, unless this is your 1st winter following weather?

It's a legit concern, especially for those north.  The NAM isn't the only model showing it.  They all do to some varying degree.  I don't think anyone is thinking that the model will nail down the ExACT northern extent, I think the concern is there WILL be a sharp cutoff somewhere in our region.

Archived