joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17-18th disco thread--1st big threat of the year

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think winterwx and me are the only people in VA who dont see any snow from this. Frederick County VA is out of this one. But we have had some already this year. Hope it works out for the rest of you.

I'm already planning to replace March 1, 2009 on my list, BUT...............

................I'm not sure we are out yet.

Pretty much getting out of the useful range for the ensembles but the 06Z GFS shows most of the members still going with a roughly central Va hit.

Definitely outside the useful range of GFS ensembles.  SREFs are the only ensembles to use at this range. 

Mentioned them earlier. They have come north and west with the precip and have juiced up the system over the last several runs..

Looking at a comparison of yesterday's 21z plumes and today's 3z plumes, there certainly is a big change towards more precip.  Still a number of members that are complete misses for DC/Balt, but also some very snowy members.  Mean snow is .38" for DC and .29" for Baltimore. 

Looking at a comparison of yesterday's 21z plumes and today's 3z plumes, there certainly is a big change towards more precip.  Still a number of members that are complete misses for DC/Balt, but also some very snowy members.  Mean snow is .38" for DC and .29" for Baltimore. 

If I were down in the DC and Balt corridor the probabilities map (.25 " or greater in 6 hours) from the 21Z to the 03Z would be very encouraging to me. Even though it still has that sharp cutoff just to their north and west it suggests that heavier precip will make it into their region.

post-1191-0-90477800-1358342686_thumb.gi

post-1191-0-28765000-1358342709_thumb.gi

We've seen it over and over with ull's through the years. Nw side has a pretty intense band and sharp cutoff. And IIRC, the best spot is n&w of the short range models 9 out of 10 times. I'm usually too far south so my memories aren't as fond as peeps like phin and co.

I'm pretty stoked right now with this one.

Sounds as if they shifted slightly north and west again. Out of curiosity where are you getting your SREFS from? Normally just go to Raleighs site but they aren't up yet.

They have indeed shifted more north and west.  I'm very interested in any NW shifts.  When you compare the last three runs of the SREFS, you can definitely see it.

NCEP site.

They have indeed shifted more north and west. I'm very interested in any NW shifts. When you compare the last three runs of the SREFS, you can definitely see it.

NCEP site.

If you start talking snow then im golden...fun storm to track...I hope somebody gets it good with this

If you start talking snow then im golden...fun storm to track...I hope somebody gets it good with this

What I like, for my area, is the increase in the precip totals being modeled to my SOUTH west.  Somebody will probably make fun of that, but with precip to my sw, it makes it harder for me to get fringed.  Increasing precip to my se doesn't necessarily mean my precip goes up, but to the sw probably does.  

They have indeed shifted more north and west.  I'm very interested in any NW shifts.  When you compare the last three runs of the SREFS, you can definitely see it.

NCEP site.

Just looked at MN transplants map and the median? (I guess that is the right term) suggests the possibility of an even further shift to the north and west to where it would suggest game on in the DC and Baltimore area.

Archived