joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17-18th disco thread--1st big threat of the year

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know why I'm up, but since I am.. The 6z NAM looks similar to the 0z, the vort track is slightly more NW by 15-30 miles and the precip looks to get up to around I-70 but knowing these confluence cut-off's It's too close for comfort if you live say north of US 50.

I feel it'll come north some more, and boy does it look like a deform band would be possible on the NW side, and if say the precip ends up edging near the M/D line, DC and even BWI could be in on it. 

DCA should be fine being on the northern fringe. I know folks get tired of hearing this but there is usually a megaband on the NW edge of these things and they also usually end up a bit north of modeled, it seems. Wouldn't shock me to see even PHL get some snow, especially with this last-minute north jump occurring on the models.

DCA should be fine being on the northern fringe. I know folks get tired of hearing this but there is usually a megaband on the NW edge of these things and they also usually end up a bit north of modeled, it seems. Wouldn't shock me to see even PHL get some snow, especially with this last-minute north jump occurring on the models.

Yes, and as I recall, the Jan 30 or 31 2010 event was like that, much of which had to do with the fact that the preferred dendritic growth zone was well north of where the max liquid equivalent pcpn was, meaning a tradeoff of better flake size/higher SLRs with lower QPF.  Surface temps are more marginally cold this time around though...I think areas that do well will be those that can feed off of higher pcpn rates and (thus) diabatic cooling from evaporation/melting. 

Looking at the 06Z and the progression from previous runs it looks as if the models are trying real hard to slow the surface low down long enough for the upper level cutoff low to catch up to it. If this continues I would not be surprised to see the north and west trend continue with this storm possibly even a fairly substantial shift.

OK,m I'll say it first....a lot of similarities to 1/25/00 wrt trends and model evolution

not saying we're there yet, but some definite similarities

heck, 6zs GFS is now getting moisture far enough to the west to scrap ENE

just sayin'

I am liking what I am seeing for you all down in the DC and Balt corridor. Think when all is said and done I am leaning for that area being the jackpot. as opposed central Va.

Archived