12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the real cold shots are only going to last a couple of days and then it's back to normal. Allan Huffman wrote about a good look down the road, but of course that is a couple of weeks away and into February, so who really knows.

Here is what Huffman said today in his blog.

The ensemble guidance wants to pop a –EPO ridge into the Gulf of Alaska and build it into western North America as that week progresses, which should progress the trough out, and at the same time we see continued positive height anomalies over the poles (blocking). The ensembles are in pretty good agreement today that the trough will move into the Plains/Midwest by 1/29-1/30 and cover much of the eastern half of the nation by 1/31 into early February. The look of the ensembles is pretty cold late in the 11-15 day period. We see a –AO, a –NAO, and a ridge over the west coast of North America. This sets up the polar vortex over Hudson Bay and a cold pattern across much of the eastern half of the nation. This is supported by the latest CFS and ECMWF weekly forecasts which keep a cold pattern through mid-February. So perhaps there will be more snow chances for many of us in the month of February.

So you go from below normal to normal? Am I missing something?

We're going to have to have temps WAY below normal just to end the month anywhere close to average. Atlanta is running an incredible 10 degrees above average for the month. I'm sick and tired of every winter month being 5+ degrees above normal. It's ridiculous. I don't recall anyone predicting that Arlanta would be 5+ above normal in both Dec and Jan.

12z GFS does not look bad at all through near to mid-range. Looks like some opportunities might still be there to be had. ,

Seems like a brief warm up with the trough digging out west but it comes out quick. For us upper south folks we don't really need much below normal temps to get snow at this time of year. Just a little blocking and some southern stream systems.

Still think it will be highly unlikely we will see any significant frozen precipitation outside the mountains with the PNA going back negative for what looks to be the extended time frame. The -NAO will help some but a southern storm track with a -PNA is not the norm for us. Clippers coming down here are more unlikely to give us snow than the bowling ball ULL's like we just had so I wouldn't count on them either. Hate to be so negative but until the Pacific changes to create a +PNA for a couple of weeks at a time, I don't like our chances for snow but do think we will get several bouts of cold air

Today is beautiful, sunny and warming up a little.  Boy was yesterday disappointing first said asheville would get 1-3 then 3-6 and back last night said 1-2 and here in west asheville we received nothing, very disappointing.  I can't figure how just west of me in Canton the ground was covered last night and east of us had snow but we just had rain.  Guess it never really got cold enough in time.Lets move on to the next storm.

Looking at the 12 run of the GFS shows very little QPF over the next 10 days, with .18" for my area and that is next Saturday the 26th. Cold still looks to come in Tuesday night and keeps this area around to below 32 for 2 days. So looks dry over the next 1 1/2 weeks. 

It's cold and dry through next Thursday or so before another front drops down from Canada. This front won't be dry, though and could have quite a bit of moisture for the region. Mainly rain ahead of the front and maybe some switchover to snow in the mountains. Hard to say, but it's the next thing to watch.

This is about the best we can hope for and it is as fantasy range begins. Additionally it is classic cold chasing moisture. As of now we likely have to hold on until February. I know that is not what many want to hear in looking for a make up storm but that is the way it is:

12zgfs850mbTSLPp12_county192.gif

We're going to have to have temps WAY below normal just to end the month anywhere close to average. Atlanta is running an incredible 10 degrees above average for the month. I'm sick and tired of every winter month being 5+ degrees above normal. It's ridiculous. I don't recall anyone predicting that Arlanta would be 5+ above normal in both Dec and Jan.

I'm currently projecting KATL ends up with Jan. near 48.5 F for the month or just over 5 above average. A 50 F would have meant top 10 warmest since 1879. A 48.5 would still be the 18th warmest (~87th percentile warmwise) and barely colder than the 49.1 of 2012. So, still it looks to be a pretty soldly warm month in terms of anomalies. The most favorable warm Dec. analogs for March are actually the ones where Jan. is ~50-51 F. A 50 F is not out of the realm of possiblities but is going to be very hard to attain. However, 48.5 is not that far off and the warm Dec./high 40's Jan. analogs have had some interesting Mar.'s in their own right: very cold mid-month in 1923 and storm of the Century mid-March 1993. Also, the high 40's F Jan.'s suggest a higher than average major ZR threat for CAD areas 1/23-2/10 fwiw though still not anywhere close to being likely and not actually being predicted. Just something to consider.

This is about the best we can hope for and it is as fantasy range begins. Additionally it is classic cold chasing moisture. As of now we likely have to hold on until February. I know that is not what many want to hear in looking for a make up storm but that is the way it is:

looks like a frontal passage :( NEXT LOL

The Euro weeklies look very seasonable, no cold anomalies for the SE.  I think it's the very real possibility that this winter will be very simliar to last winter, it might even be warmer, once we tally up Dec-Feb.  It was funny, last week at this time when this brought up it was almost blasphemous to mention something like this as everyone was convinced the cold was coming and the SE ridge would be beaten away.  Good news is that next year should be an El Nino (where have we heard that before).

The Euro weeklies look very seasonable, no cold anomalies for the SE. I think it's the very real possibility that this winter will be very simliar to last winter, it might even be warmer, once we tally up Dec-Feb. It was funny, last week at this time when this brought up it was almost blasphemous to mention something like this as everyone was convinced the cold was coming and the SE ridge would be beaten away. Good news is that next year should be an El Nino (where have we heard that before).

But the 384 GFS ensemble mean looks cold. :D

But the 384 GFS ensemble mean looks cold. :D

Actually we will have a couple of days next week that are below normal, but I think we will have several seasonal and a few above average days to finish out January, which I don't mind at all.  I will be interested to see where this Dec/Jan ranks as far as all time warmth, I bet it's top 10.

Archived