Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The First Week of Jan..Bitter cold,Balls drop as we ring in 2013

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a guy who is 80 years old and goes to Andover, ME for the majority of the year. One of my favorite folks. Retired teacher, goes up with no electricity/phone/electronics and survives. Amazing.

I'm going to post pics in the other thread...obs.

Nice area up there Jerry, Western Maine is a gem that most never get to experiance

Yeah, I rode out of andover last year thru Coos canyon over to rangeley. There is plenty north, But have to trailer, Its always better when you can ride right out of the door yard, But we are making a trip north next weekend to ride

Rode out of my house last night and will again tomorrow. You're right about lack of moisture in the snow though. This stuff doesn't groom out well. Hopefully we can freeze up some open water holes this week.

Rode out of my house last night and will again tomorrow. You're right about lack of moisture in the snow though. This stuff doesn't groom out well. Hopefully we can freeze up some open water holes this week.

It looks good for you guys and us here to get some water holes frozen this week, Looks to be below zero here a few nights, But these last couple storms were to dry

Nickle and dime pattern setting up when these arctic airmasses settle in. Snow globe snow this morning on NW upsloping flow with a dusting to an inch of new around the area. This is the type of pattern the North Country sees daily D-2" fluff falls.

Snow squalls after midnight would make the drive out of BTV later tonight interesting. Sometimes it seems like all of northern and central VT (as well as northern NY) are in BTV for first night. The fireworks display is pretty nuts out over Burlington Bay...like half hour long show.

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

AS OF 425 AM EST MONDAY...AFOREMENTIONED LOW PRESSURE MOVING

ACROSS SOUTHERN QUEBEC MONDAY AFTERNOON WILL DRAG AN ARCTIC FRONT

THROUGH THE REGION LATE THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. NOT A WHOLE

LOT OF MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS BOUNDARY AS IS USUALLY THE

CASE WITH ARCTIC FRONTS...BUT LOCAL BTV4 SNOW SQUALL PARAMETER CONTINUES

TO HIGHLIGHT THE THREAT FOR SQUALLS ALONG THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY

AFTER MIDNIGHT...MAINLY ALONG THE CANADIAN BORDER. THESE SQUALLS

WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING BRIEF HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS...GUSTY

WINDS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES WITH A QUICK INCH OR 2 OF GREASY

ACCUMULATION. THOSE OUT ENJOYING FIRST NIGHT FESTIVITIES SHOULD

EXERCISE CAUTION IF CAUGHT IN ANY OF THESE SQUALLS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

nws has added 5-7 degrees to temps starting Tuesday for the rest of the week, I was shocked to see the difference when I checked my forecast this morning, bitter cold week has turned into pretty run of the mill for earl January. Lets get some snow in here stat.

It's been a few years since we've seen a sustained arctic outbreak around here. We are in a regime of moderating cold air masses that always seem to underperform whenever below normal cold is modeled temperatures.

Wx looks pretty darn boring the next 2 weeks...after this week, we have Scooter caution flags as we head toward the middle of January. The PAC sure does look nice on the ensembles though near the end, so perhaps we'd see a nice reload...though it would prob take longer than the models show.

nws has added 5-7 degrees to temps starting Tuesday for the rest of the week, I was shocked to see the difference when I checked my forecast this morning, bitter cold week has turned into pretty run of the mill for earl January. Lets get some snow in here stat.

Really warmed up from my 17.0 overnight low to the current 24.8/20.

Light weenie flakes all morning. Nothing the wipers can't handle, but flakes are always nice.

As I mentioned yesterday ,at the moment there isn't a mechanism for delivering true arctic air into the US. The trend the past 2 winters has been for the bulk of the cold air to stay locked up in Alaska and/or Canada. That is why I believe we need a pattern that delivers cold from Eastern Canada rather than Western Canada.

Wx looks pretty darn boring the next 2 weeks...after this week, we have Scooter caution flags as we head toward the middle of January. The PAC sure does look nice on the ensembles though near the end, so perhaps we'd see a nice reload...though it would prob take longer than the models show.

I think there is some possibility for a re-load during the 3rd or 4th week of January, but by then we will be nearly 2 months into winter. I'm not getting my hopes up until I see a pattern developing that delivers cold into the plains and midwest.

I think the best case for those living in SNE is that we have seasonable winter temps and seasonable snowfall for the rest of the winter....I'd certainly take it over "warm" and dry.

Do we call this a "pattern change"? I can't really remember such a stark difference between the first two weeks of a month and the last two weeks. Perfectly split about halfway through the month.

Dates..........1,500ft.....3,000ft....Days with measurable snow

December 1-16........2"..............3"...................2 of 16

December 17-31.....41"............64".................12 of 15

Measurable 1" or greater snowfall in the previous 24 hours at 6am....on 12 of the last 15 days. That's pretty awesome. Total snowfall at 3,000ft since November 1st at 3,000ft is 102". Probably a little higher up at top of lifts and the ridge area of 3,500-4,300ft but I don't measure up there.

Hoping for some flurries tonight, don't know that I have ever had a cold worse than this, seems like everyone is sick around here brutal sinus infection/puke fest

30/overcast

Dude, it's a morgue all alround me. All of us here are sick, family sick...I even got asked to come into work on my paternity leave...people are dropping like flies.

Archived