• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 27/28 Storm Part II

Typhoon Tip

I don't think that's going to verify....I don't know why so many people are pessimistic for the Boston area. Besides Logan Airport immediately on the water, I was thinking 4-8" for Boston. Even on the 18z GFS, which is much warmer than the Euro, the 850 line is well south of BOS at 39 hours and already .5" QPF has fallen.

It's still amazing the difference in temps between GFS and Euro. Euro is so much colder, and that could be a crucial difference for marginal areas like mine and Boston.

. Everyone is pessimistic for bos based on bl winds being east. East winds +f more than 15 mph and its all ova in december for the coast within 4-5 miles esp with a primary gettin so far north before transfer. Maybe 2 inches in bos? 850's maybe below 0c 925-950 mb another story

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS warms even NW Mass above freezing (a significant layer of the column) on Thursday morning. Fortunately by then a lot of snow (maybe a little sleet) has fallen. The NAM is much worse with a lot of warming between 700mb and 850mb. It looks like a sleet fest changing to rain. I hope both models are too warm.

The 18z GFS warms even NW Mass above freezing (a significant layer of the column) on Thursday morning. Fortunately by then a lot of snow (maybe a little sleet) has fallen. The NAM is much worse with a lot of warming between 700mb and 850mb. It looks like a sleet fest changing to rain. I hope both models are too warm.

The NAM/GFS thermal profiles are so much warmer than the ECM that you almost have to discard them. Hard to believe a strong model like the Euro would be that mistaken at this close range.

GFS seemed to pull back a little northwest. One notable trend that I'm seeing in both the GFS and Euro today is a tendency to develop the banded mode of the storm quicker and thus more prolonged heavy snow on the northwest side of the departing low

I should also include the CMC in that group. Also trending toward a more prominent banded mode.

IMO thats a bit too warm. Even the NAM had BDL and HFD starting out as snow and in other areas that are in his all rain zone.

Im using I395 on East as the dividing line for where the SE flow will cause the most abrupt cutoff for snow accums.

He has both BDL and HFD in 3-8 inches of snow to sleet and never changes to plain rain

The NAM/GFS thermal profiles are so much warmer than the ECM that you almost have to discard them. Hard to believe a strong model like the Euro would be that mistaken at this close range.

It would be hard to believe. But do we know what the Euro vertical profiles look like? The mid and low level tracks look good. It'salso nice to have support from the GGEM and UK I believe.

I feel like in synoptic setups roughly similar to this, the surface is often colder than modeled, and portions of the midlevels are often warmer. And that usually results in more sleet than expected. But then again, the model programming has changed over the years so past experience might not be particularly informative.

It would be hard to believe. But do we know what the Euro vertical profiles look like? The mid and low level tracks look good. It'salso nice to have support from the GGEM and UK I believe.

I feel like in synoptic setups roughly similar to this, the surface is often colder than modeled, and portions of the midlevels are often warmer. And that usually results in more sleet than expected. But then again, the model programming has changed over the years so past experience might not be particularly informative.

The sleet is always closer than it appears. I have said a couple of times this has a V Day 07 appeal. Kevin check out DTs final call, WTH? Is that, (about as much a chance of verifying as monkeys flying out of my butt,) groink.

The sleet is always closer than it appears. I have said a couple of times this has a V Day 07 appeal. Kevin check out DTs final call, WTH? Is that, (about as much a chance of verifying as monkeys flying out of my butt,) groink.

The edges are always tricky. He's got me right on the 3-8 line. His all rain area is way too far NW though. This is the point I made earlier when Forky deleted my post. Mets that don't live up here don't understand climo and the nuances of the area so they broad brush everything

The edges are always tricky. He's got me right on the 3-8 line. His all rain area is way too far NW though. This is the point I made earlier when Forky deleted my post. Mets that don't live up here don't understand climo and the nuances of the area so they broad brush everything

What? Repost it. fYI big tornado hit Mobile Alabama.

Looking at the CIPS analogs....analogues 2-6 or something are very nice considering what we are expecitng. That said, since it is Christmas, not much time to look at anything. Places inside of 495 should be mostly rain after some front end snow. Those outside of 495 should get a good thump then mix or ice for a while. All depends on how strong of an ageostrophic component we can develop.

Archived