• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Can we salvage a White Christmas in SNE?

Damage In Tolland

Looks rpetty unchanged qpf-wise outside of the increase in CT, but that may just be due to not reaching the next threshold in spite of their being an increase. Scott's taling aobut the 850 cooler--but it actually reaches further north from SE CT across RI and SE Mass before movign back south.

Regardless, I'm willing to pass tonight by in exchange for what the NAM's showing for the second system!

I will pay you with an inch of snow tuesday for 3-6" on Thursday...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a little further south with 850 and 700 features...now a nice 850 WF modeled to help squeeze out the snow. That would likely be a wet snow to start for a while even near Messenger and Phil. Winds are light which helps limit marine taint...at least to start.

Looks maybe like snow to rain to snow to me here. I like the trends, funny that once again as the s/ws exit the rockies the models ticked a bit better for us each run. The NAM is onto something IMO I expect the models to be better through the rest of the suite too...including the Euro. Notice the last minute enhancement and the system developing over the WXUSAF gulfstream. My temps are going to be so marginal here I wouldn't be surprised with all rain either or a flip to a few inches of snow. 1/3 2/4 seems like a good bet for many in SNE.

Looks maybe like snow to rain to snow to me here. I like the trends, funny that once again as the s/ws exit the rockies the models ticked a bit better for us each run. The NAM is onto something IMO I expect the models to be better through the rest of the suite too...including the Euro. Notice the last minute enhancement and the system developing over the WXUSAF gulfstream. My temps are going to be so marginal here I wouldn't be surprised with all rain either or a flip to a few inches of snow. 1/3 2/4 seems like a good bet for many in SNE.

Almost miraculous, in my opinion.

Almost miraculous, in my opinion.

GFS and NAM had the same idea at 6z. 12z is no surprise. 6z RGEM had the same thing to an extent too. It's going to happen. Temps are borderline for some of us. But 1/3, perhaps 2-4 is very much in the game at this point. Spot 5? I wasn't kidding there is definitely a last minute kick with this system, to some extent he was right if it plays out as currently modeled. We're back to the system we thought we were getting 2-3 days ago.

What did I miss with the gulf stream miracle theme going on?

At any rate, I'm not shocked it has come back a little better. The vortmax has always had some punch to it. These little redevelopers south of LI always have to be watched. I think I made some reference to that amidst the noose-tying and bridge jumping when some of the guidance was trending worse.

I do not think we will get the magnitude system that some runs showed at their peak, but I think a couple of inches is a good bet for many.

At any rate, I'm not shocked it has come back a little better. The vortmax has always had some punch to it. These little redevelopers south of LI always have to be watched. I think I made some reference to that amidst the noose-tying and bridge jumping when some of the guidance was trending worse.

I do not think we will get the magnitude system that some runs showed at their peak, but I think a couple of inches is a good bet for many.

USCAPEWEATHER

NAM is super close to giving us the Gulf Stream storm miracle. look at around hour 42 or 45 it is super close to the NAM being out performed by real life circumstances.

Usweatheraf's gulf miracle

Rename thread now!

Did we get a total on the RGEM? GFS carries the same theme but the rub being the heaviest QPF on the GFS is in borderline/too warm temps.

My feeling on this is go with the regional/meso models. It's a decent vortmax, we've got the USWXAF gulf stream temp bubble, I think we're going to see a well defined low south of us in the morning ALA the MM5. QPF? Well we'll see.

post-3232-0-07721000-1356367811_thumb.gi

GEM, Ukie and GFS all look fairly status quo on this despite the NAM's more exciting solution at 12z. 1-2" seems like a pretty decent forecast. Always potential for some spot weenie totals a bit higher...esp if this low strengthens S of LI a bit more than guidance wants to give credit for.

GEM, Ukie and GFS all look fairly status quo on this despite the NAM's more exciting solution at 12z. 1-2" seems like a pretty decent forecast. Always potential for some spot weenie totals a bit higher...esp if this low strengthens S of LI a bit more than guidance wants to give credit for.

I would think that that strengthening would best serve the folks Southeast of a line from northern RI up toward Boston (until you have coastal p-type influcences).

For mby, I hope that strengthening doesn't rob moisture from what is pretty meager to begin with in GC. But, such is life if that happens. There's always Wed/Thur.

I would think that that strengthening would best serve the folks Southeast of a line from northern RI up toward Boston (until you have coastal p-type influcences).

For mby, I hope that strengthening doesn't rob moisture from what is pretty meager to begin with in GC. But, such is life if that happens. There's always Wed/Thur.

It's going to be really close. I'd think this strengthens a bit more than the global models will forecast. More rain for me, but someone to my NW should cash in. I think 1-3" for SNE covers it right about now. I'm expecting only some falling snow or a coating here.

The s/w's look pretty healthy right now. I think we'll have a defined low right off the NJ coast in about 16-17 hours. I kind of expect the 18z's to tick up the precip in terms of the RGEM/GFS

NAM might handle this small scale vort max better?

This is a case that offers potential for a positive bust. At the same time could easily be a coating to 2" deal all the same ... but something like this can pull off a weenie band that drops 4" of fluff

NAM might handle this small scale vort max better?

This is a case that offers potential for a positive bust. At the same time could easily be a coating to 2" deal all the same ... but something like this can pull off a weenie band that drops 4" of fluff

Even though the models were much worse back in the day...I remember the old ETA the night before the Dec 1997 event had a big snow event...it was discounted because it was a serious break in continuity and the global models didn't agree with it...so the forecasts stuck with 1-3". Kevin Lemanowicz on FOX even mentioned it on the 10pm newscast. He said something like "we have one model hot off the presses that is showing a major snowstorm for much of the interior, but we're gonna go ahead and throw that out right now"...or something to that effect.

The general premise is that I would agree the hi res mesoscale models would handle this type of event a bit better than the globals.

Even though the models were much worse back in the day...I remember the old ETA the night before the Dec 1997 event had a big snow event...it was discounted because it was a serious break in continuity and the global models didn't agree with it...so the forecasts stuck with 1-3". Kevin Lemanowicz on FOX even mentioned it on the 10pm newscast. He said something like "we have one model hot off the presses that is showing a major snowstorm for much of the interior, but we're gonna go ahead and throw that out right now"...or something to that effect.

The general premise is that I would agree the hi res mesoscale models would handle this type of event a bit better than the globals.

He was around back then?

I wish we had a little local model like BTVs

Did we get a total on the RGEM? GFS carries the same theme but the rub being the heaviest QPF on the GFS is in borderline/too warm temps.

My feeling on this is go with the regional/meso models. It's a decent vortmax, we've got the USWXAF gulf stream temp bubble, I think we're going to see a well defined low south of us in the morning ALA the MM5. QPF? Well we'll see.

post-3232-0-07721000-1356367811_thumb.gi

MM 5 says Merry Christmas

4f391e62d84fdeca007c4a7c1ba7baf2.jpg

MM 5 says Merry Christmas

we both know how it can be very erratic on QPF placement but I think it's right on with the low. The Euro now pops it too. I think you, Bob, maybe scott/jerry/kev and some others are going to really do well. We'll have to see where the banding sets up but it's going to be there. Seems to me like 2-4 will fall in a band somewhere just on the other side of the r/s line.

EDIT: If I had to guess the best precip banding will be from Kev to Sultan across southern MA and central/northern RI into Bob country across to Marshfield? Jerry/Scott on the northern edge, the southern edge being to my NW a bit. 1-3" is probably the way to go for now, but 2-4" may quickly creep in as the 18z runs come in.

Archived