joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The euro weeklies look pretty zonal through mid-december and then start to hint at a pattern change as we near Christmas. At this point I think December is likely to average above normal through for the first two or three weeks, but thereafter there are good chances for some changes.

Haven't looked at the models for a few days, but why is everyone excited about this look? This blows, east based -NAO, I guess the PNA is probably neutral but the AO is positive. Let's hope the 12z GEFS doesn't look like this.

12zgfs500mbHGHTNH288.gif

I don't think there is any "real" excitement for the most part. Some, I know, have expressed excitement over the fact that the GFS is throwing out some snow in the far extended range...which rarely happened last year. But that is hardly worth getting excited over with regards to how that plays out in eventuality.

And you're right, the first two weeks of Dec do not look promising for wintry wx in these parts. Will that change as we get closer to Christmas? Maybe, maybe not.

But is it cold? Thanks,

TW

Actually, the set-up looks cold. Cold keeps pressing south in an elongated trough. Only thing that is fishy is Alaska stays cold. I've said this before, it is rare that Alaska and us are cold. Full continental trough. First I have seen this from it in a while. Will wait a few runs to see if it holds.

The cold will eventually arrive here but not the 10-15th as earlier predicted IMO. Good thing is the change should occur right at the Winter Solstice and, whenever the pattern changes around that time, we normally have an extended period of weather which that change (be it warm or cold) will signal.

12z Euro sends NAO in the tank:

12zecmwfnao.gif

I'm sticking with my guns on an ice/mix event between 12/13-12/17 for CAD areas east of apps. To much cold/snowpack will be built up in Canada and along the US border. As the pattern changes there will probably be some sort of posotive almost east/west trough that should promote some overruning precip. Any HP in NE will have more than enough cold air to work with. Yesterday the GFS spit this suggestion out verbatim. Today 12z still shows potential for my crapshoot LR forecast. But would wind up being cold rain in our area.

12zgfs850mbTSLPp12264.gif

Folks...I love where the models are heading. Only a fool would have to disagree. It all starts this week with the dislodging of the massive vortex off the West Coast. Give it 7-10 days for the realignment to take place and then we'll start having actual storms to follow. The GFS is already hinting at it with the storm that its wanting to form around the 17th-18th.

Folks...I love where the models are heading. Only a fool would have to disagree. It all starts this week with the dislodging of the massive vortex off the West Coast. Give it 7-10 days for the realignment to take place and then we'll start having actual storms to follow. The GFS is already hinting at it with the storm that its wanting to form around the 17th-18th.

I agree. Even a cold rain beats the current drought. Long term looks win-win with a wetter pattern. We are likely not going to have everything show up perfect...winter weather chances will only continue to rise with climatology.

Actually, the set-up looks cold. Cold keeps pressing south in an elongated trough. Only thing that is fishy is Alaska stays cold. I've said this before, it is rare that Alaska and us are cold. Full continental trough. First I have seen this from it in a while. Will wait a few runs to see if it holds.

I'm pretty sure that Alaska is cold nonstop all winter, so I'm pretty sure Alaska and the south can be cold at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that Alaska is cold nonstop all winter, so I'm pretty sure Alaska and the south can be cold at the same time.

Relative to norms, Einstein. And if you want to split hairs, Juneau doesn't get that cold during winter. And if you need evidence look no further than last winter. Record snow and cold in Alaska, record warmth on the East coast.

Argue with CPC. ENSO state temp relationships...

Warm episode: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/impacts/warm.gif

Cold episode: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/impacts/cold.gif

I don't think there is any "real" excitement for the most part. Some, I know, have expressed excitement over the fact that the GFS is throwing out some snow in the far extended range...which rarely happened last year. But that is hardly worth getting excited over with regards to how that plays out in eventuality.

And you're right, the first two weeks of Dec do not look promising for wintry wx in these parts. Will that change as we get closer to Christmas? Maybe, maybe not.

I really have to wonder where the expectation for a wintry December ever came from. I understand the need for some who feel it their responsibility to maintain sensibility by posting comments that don't feed anything to the hype monster, but there are plenty of people genuinely excited and confident about winter. Speak for yourself on that matter please.

It's time to get the H over last winter.

Archived