northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December Mid-Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have an example of a sub 990 low off Ocean City with a 1030 high in a good spot that resulted as cold rain entirely for us in late December?

As I said earlier today, getting an all-snow event out of this will be tricky. A rain-to-snow is very much in play. Snow/ice-to-rain would be a possibility if this cuts far enough west and we have some antecedent CAD.

It's 192 hours Mitch.

I know, but in light of what we've seen happen the prior 2 winters, I'm skeptical if it shows all snow at 192 hrs. and even more so when it shows rain verbatim, that's all

he!!, in the good ole' days the GFS showed all snow at 3-5 days and we got a changeover or a mix, now we get those kind of surface features depicted by the model and it still shows rain for the most part....a little disheartening to say the least, so I'm keeping expectations low for now

The Euro's solution suggests a bit more robustness to this not being a cutter. If you'll notice, this weekend's storm does cut and turn into a 50/50 type low on the Euro by ~144hrs. But, the Euro has this northern stream s/w over the Canadian Praries that the GFS does not, and this shunts the 50/50 well OTS. What this Canadian s/w does is pump the ridge over Quebec and that or the transient 50/50 low (apparently) is enough to squash our low and keep it to our south on the 19th.

Not a system to be remembered, IMO.

Man, the coastal front that came in the twilight hours was some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen back home.

Cabs were going sideways down the main street in my neighborhood and driving into snowbanks the visibility was so low. Streets were becoming impossible to drive on. Says alot when a fully staffed city and state plow force is out.

We need to tell the atmosphere here to generate some 'bay fronts'. :lol:

Interesting that it shifted south. Does it have a closed 500 with enough amplitude to bring it n or is it suppressed not tht it matter at this time range.

It is suppressed....I dont have good maps to see the details of the upper levels, but it is 2 discrete systems...both take similar tracks and both fringe us to the south....1st is monday/monday night and the 2nd is TUE night.....the 1st there is no cold air in place....the 2nd has potential with a 996mb loe off Hatteras, but there is not enough amplitude in the west.....then the pattern gets sucky again

It is suppressed....I dont have good maps to see the details of the upper levels, but it is 2 discrete systems...both take similar tracks and both fringe us to the south....1st is monday/monday night and the 2nd is TUE night.....the 1st there is no cold air in place....the 2nd has potential with a 996mb loe off Hatteras, but there is not enough amplitude in the west.....then the pattern gets sucky again

Yeah, I didn't notice that the first time around. Euro develops a low on the tail-end of the front (from this weekend's cutter) and rides it up along the southeast coast. This dorks up the following low.

After the 19th, GFS and Euro diverge dramatically on our side of the pole, which is to be expected given how differently they handle this potential storm and how the GFS really uses it as a catalyst for an even more dramatic pattern change.

Archived