• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Mid-Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

The EPO and pna continue to be bad. Euro and its ens mean continue to like cutters. The NAEF now have us with a better than 50% chance of being warm in the dec 17-23 period....a step back from the normal look of yesterday. By contrast, the 06Z GEFS ens has a cooler look at 240 hrs. The CFS2 has trended back to warmer than normal for the week ending dec 23, near normal or slightly above for the period ending dec 29 and below normal for the dec 30th through Jan 5th period. It's been jumping around alot in the longer time ranges.

http://origin.cpc.nc...1208.NAsfcT.gif

I still don't see any snow chances through dec 23 but that means little.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EPO and pna continue to be bad. Euro and its ens mean continue to like cutters. The NAEF now have us with a better than 50% chance of being warm in the dec 17-23 period....a step back from the normal look of yesterday. By contrast, the 06Z GEFS ens has a cooler look at 240 hrs. The CFS2 has trended back to warmer than normal for the week ending dec 23, near normal or slightly above for the period ending dec 29 and below normal for the dec 30th through Jan 5th period. It's been jumping around alot in the longer time ranges.

don't feel bad, the club seems all inclusive with every met currently a member

and there is no compelling evidence that is changing anytime soon

The Euro shows decent blocking at the end of the run, but it probably doesn't matter

Maybe it can keep that low a little further south than its currently modeled. Can't tell much from the maps I can access, but there seems to be a cad signature there. Maybe some front end stuff even if the low were to go to Pitt as modeled? Of course that low may not be there next run.

Maybe it can keep that low a little further south than its currently modeled. Can't tell much from the maps I can access, but there seems to be a cad signature there. Maybe some front end stuff even if the low were to go to Pitt as modeled? Of course that low may not be there next run.

as modeled it is a warm torchy disaster with the primary low over Indiana

Man things get close for you guys in DC we'd night if the NAM is to be believed. Several srefs like the idea too.

in keeping with this season, precip comes at the warmest time of day and so the boundary says rain

this is the 3rd year in a row for this

I remember the days when when the surface was always cold enough and there was a sneaky warm layer above 850 that screwed us

in keeping with this season, precip comes at the warmest time of day and so the boundary says rain

this is the 3rd year in a row for this

I remember the days when when the surface was always cold enough and there was a sneaky warm layer above 850 that screwed us

30 years to the day of the Snowplow game at Foxboro...near 10" in N. VA.

<Delete if already mentioned...have not read the thread>

this is almost comical even though it will likely not play out like this

Jerry in the NE forum mentioned how the CFS2 was cold for weeks 3 and 4 so I looked

well, week 3, not so much but week 4 is; here's a link to week 3 (top) and week 4 (bottom)

so my weenie self said, I wonder if there's any precip too

here's the precip link....but be sure to place JI on suicide watch first

http://origin.cpc.nc...20121208.NA.gif

this is almost comical even though it will likely not play out like this

Jerry in the NE forum mentioned how the CFS2 was cold for weeks 3 and 4 so I looked

well, week 3, not so much but week 4 is; here's a link to week 3 (top) and week 4 (bottom)

so my weenie self said, I wonder if there's any precip too

here's the precip link....but be sure to place JI on suicide watch first

http://origin.cpc.nc...20121208.NA.gif

Warm and wet, cold and dry....we have seen that nightmare before.

Region 3.4 is negative in the weeklies for the 1st time since early May...and the PDO is tanking

http://www.cpc.ncep....s/wksst8110.for

I'm not sure what that means except the negative EPO and rpna are probably helping the PDO tank. It also may partially explain the nina look to the pattern. If we have a nina next winter, there will be posters ready to jump before winter actually even starts.

I'm not sure what that means except the negative EPO and rpna are probably helping the PDO tank. It also may partially explain the nina look to the pattern. If we have a nina next winter, there will be posters ready to jump before winter actually even starts.

which is quickly becoming the "new normal" around here

Mitch...GFS looks like it's trying to set up a CAD event, but obviously doesn't get it very cold. I don't mind chalking that up a bit to a resolution problem. The pattern's not great, but certainly looks like it at least will get stormy next week. Would take Houdini to pull an all-snow event out of this pattern, but a mixed precip event is in the realm of the possible.

Mitch...GFS looks like it's trying to set up a CAD event, but obviously doesn't get it very cold. I don't mind chalking that up a bit to a resolution problem. The pattern's not great, but certainly looks like it at least will get stormy next week. Would take Houdini to pull an all-snow event out of this pattern, but a mixed precip event is in the realm of the possible.

yep, agree

the consequences of the long advertised tanking NAO may be enough to at least get us into the holiday spirit

nice to see a -NAO on something other than a day 10+ map too

I admit to not looking at the models in detail over the weekend, but the 12z GFS goes full-bore pattern change after Day 10. I don't recall seeing anything remotely similar on previous runs, and it even looks like a pretty big change from 6z. This might be a run that needs to just get tossed into the trash heap. Have to see if there's any support on the ensembles. Anyway, 12z brings a huge PNA ridge onshore and gets close to connecting it to an Alaskan ridge. Starts bringing in an Aleutian low. Just a huge (and favorable) change.

This change says one of two things to me:

1. (most likely) Chalk this run up to chaos and throw it away

2. (less likely) The MJO signal has finally "hit" the models and is making itself known

Several of the 6z members had a solution similar to this as well. Be nice to see another model come on board with it.

I admit to not looking at the models in detail over the weekend, but the 12z GFS goes full-bore pattern change after Day 10. I don't recall seeing anything remotely similar on previous runs, and it even looks like a pretty big change from 6z. This might be a run that needs to just get tossed into the trash heap. Have to see if there's any support on the ensembles. Anyway, 12z brings a huge PNA ridge onshore and gets close to connecting it to an Alaskan ridge. Starts bringing in an Aleutian low. Just a huge (and favorable) change.

This change says one of two things to me:

1. (most likely) Chalk this run up to chaos and throw it away

2. (less likely) The MJO signal has finally "hit" the models and is making itself known

ENS on board with a much better look...ridge placement isn't ideal but you can see the possibility of a split flow and pos heights in the EPO region...something would probably go to our west in that pattern but not inconceivable to get front end thumped or even snow on the back end of some redeveloping system...

12zENS11-15day500mbHeightAnomalyNA.gif

ENS on board with a much better look...ridge placement isn't ideal but you can see the possibility of a split flow and pos heights in the EPO region...something would probably go to our west in that pattern but not inconceivable to get front end thumped or even snow on the back end of some redeveloping system...

12zENS11-15day500mbHeightAnomalyNA.gif

If we could get that Aleutian ridge to come east and get a more north/south ridge/trough orientation (i.e. Rex Block), we could get some winter....

Rex_Block_Conceptual.jpg

Archived