joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we all wait for setups like these. may have to be heading north for the weekend if the models continue to show that extended NW flow. such a situation would be... just what we need. if the wet stuff that's fallen/will fall over the next few days sets up, some natural terrain will be a go for sure. wonder if MRG could be spinning by the weekend. if not, some of the well-kept grassy lines off the double could be ripe for skinning.

Drove up 16 around noon thru jackson in 34f rain @ 1k then 32f rain/snow/sleet mix @2k wildcat (didn't snow there much all day somehow) about 2 miles north of wildcat it was all snow and then r/s mix in gorham @ 33f circa 230. Decided to loop back to mt. Washington, was snowing in randolph, esp in the hills aoa 1500' then once I made it west of the crest on rte 2, poof, w. Jeffersonville had no snow even on ground. Mt wash hotel was downsloped to hell @ 38f and no snow on ground. Lol bretton woods warm and wet. On way back , cool'd to 32 around attitash w a 6-8 inch snow pack, heck even 3 inch snowpack in nconway still 35f. Downslope west of randolph nh was snowless on ground wow.

Man Sugarloaf with 20" and counting. Photos look sick.

yup that is a 2 day total at the bush but they will keep getting pounded at least the meso models show them getting another 10 inches. the hidden gem up there is saddleback IMO ...they have 14-16 2 day totals.

Sr has 4 new today. (prob at summit) since 800' base isn't helping much today

Wildcat was a tale of two mountains. base at 2k was sleet/rain/wet snow most of day while up top at 4k (where they were also the beneficiary of a general upslope flow to their east) reported 5 new inches and 14 for a two day total.

bretton woods look'd awful they were getting a "sun shower" when i drove by and they had a nice 38F temp.not to mention not much snow on the ground there at all.

Attitash was 32F and no melting going on but light rain/sleet , they look'd like they kept the 6-7 inches that fell the day before.

I would bet waterville valley snowed a couple inches today above 2800' as well.

I really think this weekend could be the real deal upslope event. Set up looks sweet.

BTV zone forecast for Lamoille County here showing 36 hours of snow showers likely already....

Saturday and Saturday Night

Snow showers likely. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs in the lower 30s. Lows around 20. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Sunday

Snow showers likely. Highs in the lower 20s. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Sunday Night

Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Lows around 10 above.

Also like tonights forecast...

Rest of tonight:

Occasional light rain or light snow...then occasional light snow. Areas of fog. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Lows around 30. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Wednesday

Cloudy. Light snow likely in the morning...then a chance of light snow or light rain in the afternoon. Areas of fog. Total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Also like tonights forecast...

Rest of tonight:

Occasional light rain or light snow...then occasional light snow. Areas of fog. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Lows around 30. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Wednesday

Cloudy. Light snow likely in the morning...then a chance of light snow or light rain in the afternoon. Areas of fog. Total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Dodged a bullet at the ski resort with this storm...especially above 2,000ft.

Here's my 9am snow plot check at 3,000ft High Road...

Of course the snow is stacked up on one side of the measuring pole near the 5 inch line from the front angle, but dropping a ruler into it gave right around 4.2" on the board.

Total depth at that elevation is 13 inches. 9 inches new in the last 48 hours clearing the board twice.

This is an interesting take on today's accumulations... my snow board and stake is running very similar snow depth depth but my snowfall tally is like 4 times what the Co-Op has reported.

Today the summit apparently only picked up a half inch and the depth increased 3". Past couple days has seen the Co-Op report 2" of new snow and settled depth increased 6".

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
529 PM EST TUE DEC 18 2012
STATION		    PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT		 SNOW
			   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER	 NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD	 0.24    30  23  29			    0.5  12

0z NAM would be sizable dump for a lot of nne Fri into the weekend.

The high terrain does alright before changing over, but the BL goes to hell quickly once the prefrontal easterlies take over. I guess the question is, how long does the llvl cold/CAD hold? I'm only expecting a brief period of -SN/PL before the RA. Strong low level E/SE flow is a downsloping relative torch near your area too. HIE will probably quickly shoot up into the MU30s.

Awaiting a changeover to snow... been sitting at 33F for little while now here at home (near where the "S" is in Stowe). However it appears to still be a bit too warm through the mid elevations with 34F at 2,100ft in Bolton and 35F at 1,600ft base of Stowe.

That 25F on Mansfield is wrong...the summit is at 32F right now. We are about 1-3F away from snow below 4,000ft in the column here on the east side.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.67” L.E.

Light snow was falling at observations time this morning, with a slushy 0.2” down on the snowboard and 0.45” of total liquid equivalent in the rain gauge from the past 24 hours. In his morning broadcast, Roger Hill used the term “slush storm” to describe this past event, as well as the next one at the end of the week; that seems like the apposite term for the accumulations we’ve been getting in the valley. It’s certainly nice to have this stuff building into the snowpack at least, and the more liquid equivalent that goes into it, the more I have to think that we’re actually starting the winter snowpack down in the mountain valleys. To touch on something else I saw in the thread yesterdayBob Minsenberger said in his broadcast that he expects the snow from this weekend’s storm to give even the Champlain Valley a white Christmas. On a related note, it’s currently snowing here in Burlington as well.

Below I’ve added the north to south listing of some 48/72 hr snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas; this event over the past couple of days has not surprisingly favored the northern resorts:

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 11”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 7”

Sugarbush: 7”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 0”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.0

Snow Density: 25.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.67” L.E.

Below I’ve added the north to south listing of some 48/72 hr snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas; this event over the past couple of days has not surprisingly favored the northern resorts:

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 11”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 7”

Sugarbush: 7”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 0”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.0

Snow Density: 25.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

For whatever reason this Ski Vermont reports are generally wrong or update weirdly.

As much as I would love for us to get more snow like that, reality is we've had a foot above 2500ft in the past 72 hours...so has Sugarbush, and Jay.

Looking at the individual websites shows a more even snowfall from Sugarbush to Stowe and Jay. Bolton and Smuggs might have been shadowed a bit on the west side with easterly flow from these two events. A friend of mine went to Bolton to skin Timberline and said there was a lackluster amount of snow at that 1500ft elevation. Then drove over this way to skin Mansfield and said there was several more inches on the ground on the east side at that 1500ft elevation.

Archived