CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The writing was on the wall a few days ago with this one, so no angst really. Vim Toot, on the other hand, will be getting crushed.

post-254-0-59927300-1355827503_thumb.png

Yup. The modelling was pretty good on both of these storms. I was hoping to catch a break with round 1 but it wasn't to be. This area missed round 1 by 60 miles and we'll miss round 2 by just about the same. 35 here now waiting for the rain.

Mainly freezing, or nearly so, precip overnight here. Temps have been hovering right at 32/33 with a mix of rain and mangled snow falling, More liquid than solid but even still, in the floodlights this morning, I can see "flakes" (or whatever they should be called).

Pine boughs are weighed down and the front steps are slick.

Rather sloppy out there but at least it hasn't washed away the snow from Sunday/Sunday night. Small win. ;)

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.22” L.E.

There’s huge, wet-flaked PNW-style snow falling here at the house this morning. I’ve seen flakes up to 2” in diameter. The temperature is marginal here, so the accumulation on the snowboard was very slushy. I pulled 0.12” of liquid out of that, but 0.22” was in the gauge, so not everything has been caught on the snowboard.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.12 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Snow (2-25 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

Massive flakes above 1,300ft this morning... some of the largest I've ever seen. 1-2 inches in diameter aggregates. Like something out of British Columbia.

Coating of new snow at 1,500ft. Groomers reporting whiteout and heavy snow on the upper mountain with 1-2" since 4am above mid-mountain (2,500ft).

It was pouring rain/sleet mix down in town.

Bright banding is heavy snow here along the Spine... though mixing with rain every so often at 1,500ft.

27F top

30F mid

32F base

The word to describe BTV is "miserable."

It's raining hard and about 37. YUCK.

Low looks like it will move up and bring 3-6 to the mountains. If not more. I think this is going to be a very positive storm for the mountains.

Next saturday looks great too btw. Sure some rain on the front end...but the upslope signature sat thru monday is stellar.

Just dumping on the mountain here... wow. This is so much better than I was expecting. Pacific NW style heavy wet snow.

If its white its right.

Would be great if we had these kind of obs for our CWA as well. Really don't feel great leaving work today with such an aggressive forecast for snowfall but no obs to back it up. The best I could do was the Sugarloaf webcam that showed snow right now.

Would be great if we had these kind of obs for our CWA as well. Really don't feel great leaving work today with such an aggressive forecast for snowfall but no obs to back it up. The best I could do was the Sugarloaf webcam that showed snow right now.

This is from Bishops Motel in Jackman, Does not look like much going on there yet, There is now though.... :snowing:

http://www.bishopsmo...com/webcam.html

Just dumping on the mountain here... wow. This is so much better than I was expecting. Pacific NW style heavy wet snow.

If its white its right.

Same in Barre when I left about 7:20. Huge, wet flakes coming down fast. Did not expect this. It looked like just over an inch new but I didn't have time to grab the ruler and measure. It is snowing here in Montpelier but not nearly as hard. As much as the forecast sucks for later in the week, I'm trying to look at this as a positive.

We were 32.9f and alternating snow and rain at 1280 feet in Peacham when I left. Whenever the precip picked up it went to snow then back to rain in the slower times. We had about a .2 new of slush on the cars. Down here in St. J it is just rain.

You can see the Peacham glop as the little blue pink glob near the "v" in MPV.

bgm.gif

We were 32.9f and alternating snow and rain at 1280 feet in Peacham when I left. Whenever the precip picked up it went to snow then back to rain in the slower times. We had about a .2 new of slush on the cars. Down here in St. J it is just rain.

You can see the Peacham glop as the little blue pink glob near the "v" in MPV.

bgm.gif

Now over to primarily rain in Peacham at 1400'.

Well you are not in the village. We have snow making machines going in the village to encourage tourists. :snowing:

I'd be spending a lot more time down in the village if that were the case! I just pray that we don't lose our white look right now. It's beautiful outside, even with the rain falling. I am hopeful that we get a fresh coat tonight and that Friday's system reverts to a colder solution.

Ml warm push may be muted, and if so this wiLl be an elevation event for nne. Dacks weren't suppose to still be snowing. If they continue thru 10am, that bodes very well for a lot of greens above 2k. Btw its snowing on top of cranmore mtn oceanstwx,just drove there, its like 1800' at top

I tried to play things around 1500 ft for snow accumulation, glad to see it's working out for the most part. If that secondary can trap that cooler air aloft, the mountains could really clean up. I mean it's not like it was going to be crappy snow growth, the best omega is square within the -12 to -16 C layer.

OceanSTWX, any chance the Friday system turns colder and snowier? The new NAM shows it to be colder in trends. Looks like we could get a secondary development off the coast.

There is a chance, but it has some work to do. The Euro ensembles offer a glimmer of hope with cooler temps aloft, but I have a hard time seeing how it at least wouldn't be a repeat of this storm today.

the meso model i've been looking at hrrr really kills the precip after like 2-3pm for NNH and then ml temps warm (for elevations) after that till around 11-12am tonite, but then the 12z run is showing a pretty decent regeneration of precip overnite for the elevated areas (esp into S coos county) and into tommorrow.

shows warming mid level temps hitting sugarloaf/saddleback/sunday river around 5 or so pm but not having the dry slot work in as distinctly, so maybe they go to sleet/zr/or rain for time till the 1-3 am timeframe when ML temps fall and again meso model show a solid regeneration of snow for elevations and even down to foothils in maine by sunrise.

also the greens get lit up nicely all the way down to the tactonics berkshires, starting this eve.

Archived