Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.11” L.E.

We headed to a Christmas party in Williston earlier today, and indeed as Nittany said earlier with regard to the western slope areas we passed through like Bolton, Jonesville, and Richmond, accumulations were down somewhat relative to here along the spine at the house. Once were up in the higher elevations of Williston out near French Hill though, accumulations were back up, and I don’t think they were too far behind what we’ve got here at the house. The snow was actually coming down at a good clip while I was making the 6:00 P.M. observations, but the flakes are certainly more compact and granular now than they have been at times, and those brought the density of this last round of snowfall up a bit. Similar to ctsnowstorm’s comment, this storm finally got us into double digits on snowfall for the season. There’s another couple of tenths of an inch of accumulation out there now, so in fact this event has now allowed 2012-2013 to catch up to the 2006-2007 season in snowfall for this date.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.2

Snow Density: 8.2% H2O

Temperature: 26.6 F

Sky: Snow (1-2 mm granular flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.19” L.E.

I’m up grading exams, so I was able to take midnight observations. The snow shut off a while ago, and it’s just been cloudy since, but I did see some definite clear grains of sleet falling before it was done, so it’s not surprising that the density of this latest round of accumulation has shot right up to 20% H2O. There’s some reasonably dense snow down in the yard now, so I’m starting to wonder if this could actually end up as the start of the winter snowpack – it’s on the late side at this point, but not as late as 2006-2007 (Dec 20th) or 2011-2012 (Dec 23rd). We’ll have to see how much more frozen precipitation falls and how warm it gets going forward to determine if the ground is going to maintain a covering. There’s more snow/sleet in the forecast right into tomorrow night though, and it looks like another shot of moisture could be heading this way based on the Intellicast Radar:

17DEC12A.gif

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

What a headache tonight. Mixed precip, double headlines... :axe:

We really had no choice but to treat these as two separate storms, to avoid having warnings up for 60 hours. So a watch is in effect for our mountain zones through Wednesday (probably longer in the end). Healthy snowfall totals are better than 50/50 I'd say. The NAM is now the warmest of the bunch, with the GFS and Euro being on the colder end of things. This graphic we created is almost spot on with HPC through day 3. A lot of QPF on the way.

It is absolutely dumping with this batch of precip... we seem to be fighting back the mixed precip because it is pouring snow right now.

I had 2.7" (1" since 8pm) at 750ft in Stowe.... and my 1,550ft snow board at Mansfield base (RT 108 closure into the Notch) had 3.25".

Crews reporting about a half hour of light sleet at one point that switched back to snow once it got steady again. Makes sense. We seem to be fighting of the mix ok right now.

Much colder than anticipated, too. 18F at 3,600ft...20F at 2,650ft...25F at 1,550ft.

Event totals: 4.8” Snow/0.41” L.E.

The last thing I knew last night was that I heard some ticks of sleet on the windows around 2:00 A.M. as that next push of moisture off to our southwest came into the area. I’d expected a small dense accumulation on the snowboard this morning, so I was very surprised when I saw a fluffy looking stack of about 3 inches sitting there. Apparently snow mixed back in and took over, so things look quite wintry out there with 4-5 inches of snow in the yard. Light snow is still falling, although it looks like there could be a break for a bit before another shot of precipitation moves in.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.2

Snow Density: 7.6% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Euro ensembles are pretty chilly up this way. Verbatim, mountains never get above freezing at H8. Even the foothills stay on the good side of things for most of the event. Looks like I'll have another nail biter of a forecast again tonight.

You are in a tough spot on this as these 2 wave run into each other, Trends seem to be colder, CAD ftw

Wow, GFS just tending much colder with the entire storm system. This event(s) has been a undermodeled for snow and cold. I am not even 20 yet, and already above the snow I should have. If the GFS is right, I would be now very close to the 0c line for the entire event, and just north of me all snow (maybe sleet). Cold trend really continues. I knew this was happened when I saw how cold that airmass that backed into Maine was. It was undermodeled.

6 inches here so far..we should have warnings up.

Whomever got me sick and made me miss today's dawn patrol is going to die.

Looks like a nice creamy snow. Perfect for base building. Add some sleet in and that is exactly what many places need. Per the SPC mesoanalysis page it looks like that 0c 850 line is running from the northern adk, down west of the green spine and cutting back over southern VT. Nose is at 18f. Should be pretty snowy up there.

Archived