Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone find the CAD?

Not an easy forecast tonight. QPF concerns with dry air in place plus very little upstream at this time. Plus how much falls as what ptype. Then you have to figure out when to call the first event done and move onto the next coastal.

We seriously are facing a situation where you have a winter weather advisory for 12"+ of snow because none of it falls within a 24 hour period.

I'd never seen the ice map before (probably because I'd never looked), and it's quite interesting - reaches to my front yard, not quite to the back. lol

4-7" would be fine, though the 1" of armorplate here will mean some serious slippery. Dry snow on ice is about as close to frictionless as one can get outside of a lab. Just hope it all isn't sluiced into the Sandy River later in the week.

I'd never seen the ice map before (probably because I'd never looked), and it's quite interesting - reaches to my front yard, not quite to the back. lol

4-7" would be fine, though the 1" of armorplate here will mean some serious slippery. Dry snow on ice is about as close to frictionless as one can get outside of a lab. Just hope it all isn't sluiced into the Sandy River later in the week.

The ice maps are a very recent addition to our website. Obviously the demand is there, so we're now producing them when significant ice is forecast.

At least in this case we're expecting snow before the ice.

The ice maps are a very recent addition to our website. Obviously the demand is there, so we're now producing them when significant ice is forecast.

An excellent addition! (Though it makes me wonder what they would've looked like on Jan 7, 1998.)

Thin overcast has moved in here since 6 AM, bumping the temp up to middle singles - had been a couple degrees below zero earlier. Lots of cold air in place.

An excellent addition! (Though it makes me wonder what they would've looked like on Jan 7, 1998.)

Thin overcast has moved in here since 6 AM, bumping the temp up to middle singles - had been a couple degrees below zero earlier. Lots of cold air in place.

Wow, cold up there! 18F and solid overcast here, ready for the show to start though it will be bittersweet knowing what happens Tuesday.

It was discussed what to make the upper limit of the scale, and as you can see it is lower than the reports from 1998. Mostly because that is such an extreme scenario that we can get better detail by keeping things capped at 2".

I can see the cad...........lol, Right over our heads, Great maps by the way, You can see the area where the heaviest precip is outlined, We usually do quite well in LEW on SWFE's

In case any of you have lost interest, 12z runs pretty important to determine if tues/wed event can be more snow than rain up here. Last night nam was a blue bomb and gfs shifted primary and secondary another 100 miles east. If trend continues we could be in money.

12Z GFS made another slight shift SE with the primary, This may get interesting for some that are on the fence in the next few runs

We saw the first flakes for this event here in Waterbury at 9:57 A.M., just as we were coming out of mass in town, so it looks like the dry weather is over and we’re on to the active pattern. I saw on the BTV NWS site that we’re under a Winter Weather Advisory, although projected snowfall amounts are certainly more notable off to the east:

16DEC12A.jpg

It seems like we’re still in that pattern of systems cutting to the west, but even though the systems won’t be all snow, I have to think the mountains are going to put some liquid equivalent into the base – the Mt. Mansfield forecast shows lots of frozen precipitation:

16DEC12B.jpg

The mountains could definitely use this precipitation though – the snow depth at the Mt. Mansfield Stake is currently at 6 inches, and the mean for this date based on the SkiVT-L Mt. Mansfield Snow Depth Graph looks to be around 26 inches, so it is extremely low. We’re also past the mean date when the first off piste skiing forays would be taking place based on my calculations using stake data.

On a similar note, I did a mid month assessment of snowfall here at the house, and 2012-2013 is now the least snowy winter through this point since I started collecting data here. It’s even fallen below the slow-starting 2006-2007, and it’s now well outside the 1 S.D. mark; it’s actually 1.27 S.D. below the mean. The updated mid month plot is below:

15DEC12B.jpg

Snow is accumulating outside right now though, so we’ll have to see where this week takes the snowfall stats.

I don't get how the 0 c line can be so far north of the low. I guess the primary riding so far west allows the torch to ride way up.

Yes, The less latitude and west that gains the better off we will be, A weaker primary with a further south development would help as well as the colder air that is available would be pulled back SE, At least the trends seem to be on the positive side so we will see

Yes, The less latitude and west that gains the better off we will be, A weaker primary with a further south development would help as well as the colder air that is available would be pulled back SE, At least the trends seem to be on the positive side so we will see

It'll be close I think. Seems like its continuing to trend SE. I'm telling ya, it could very well be a 32F sleet fest. Lol

Snow is accumulating outside right now though, so we’ll have to see where this week takes the snowfall stats.

I checked outside and as of 11:20 A.M. the snow was closing in on 0.3” of accumulation, so it’s definitely reached the 0.1” mark and will be going into the books. It’s actually only been a week since the last storm with accumulation, but this week’s dry stretch felt surprisingly long for some reason.

It'll be close I think. Seems like its continuing to trend SE. I'm telling ya, it could very well be a 32F sleet fest. Lol

Folks asking where the cold air is, Its not far...........

BIG BLACK RIVER (885 FT)(GOES) 700 AM DEC 16 -20 F

ESTCOURT STATION MAWS (724 FT)(GOES) 645 AM DEC 16 -20 F

NINE MILE BRIDGE (931 FT)(GOES) 700 AM DEC 16 -18 F

1 NW CLAYTON LAKE (1030 FT)(AWOS) 725 AM DEC 16 -18 F

DICKEY (590 FT)(GOES) 700 AM DEC 16 -13 F

LIMESTONE 630 AM DEC 16 -11 F

NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL AIRPORT (AWOS) 655 AM DEC 16 -11 F

5 SE GRAND ISLE (711 FT)(APRSWXNET) 701 AM DEC 16 -7 F

HOULTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (ASOS) 653 AM DEC 16 -7 F

4 E NEW SWEDEN (680 FT)(APRSWXNET) 640 AM DEC 16 -6 F

1 NE CARIBOU (544 FT)(APRSWXNET) 722 AM DEC 16 -6 F

1 ENE PRESQUE ISLE (649 FT)(APRSWXNET) 728 AM DEC 16 -6 F

CARIBOU, ME (624 FT)(ASOS) 654 AM DEC 16 -5 F

1 NW PRESQUE ISLE (540 FT)(AIRNOW) 600 AM DEC 16 -4 F

NORTHERN AROOSTOOK REGIONAL AIRPORT 653 AM DEC 16 -4 F

1 SSE FORT KENT (531 FT)(APRSWXNET) 637 AM DEC 16 -4 F

2 W SAINT AGATHA (825 FT)(APRSWXNET) 515 AM DEC 16 -2 F

5 SE WINTERVILLE (1186 FT)(MEDOT) 724 AM DEC 16 -2 F

2 SSW ASHLAND (6030 FT)(AIRNOW) 600 AM DEC 16 -2 F

MADAWASKA (503 FT)(AWS) 640 AM DEC 16 -1 F

3 NW MONTICELLO (574 FT)(APRSWXNET) 650 AM DEC 16 -1 F

5 NE MARS HILL (633 FT)(APRSWXNET) 746 AM DEC 16 -1 F

I checked outside and as of 11:20 A.M. the snow was closing in on 0.3” of accumulation, so it’s definitely reached the 0.1” mark and will be going into the books. It’s actually only been a week since the last storm with accumulation, but this week’s dry stretch felt surprisingly long for some reason.

Quick half inch at 1,550ft on Mansfield as of 12pm. Snowing a steady light snow.

15DEC12B.jpg

That's pretty incredible how its turned out so far for natural. Hasn't felt that bad with snowmaking getting the job done... but we have definitely had a lack of our usual orographic snowfalls at the very least, much less synoptic snow.

We saw the first flakes for this event here in Waterbury at 9:57 A.M., just as we were coming out of mass in town, so it looks like the dry weather is over and we’re on to the active pattern. I saw on the BTV NWS site that we’re under a Winter Weather Advisory, although projected snowfall amounts are certainly more notable off to the east:

16DEC12A.jpg

It seems like we’re still in that pattern of systems cutting to the west, but even though the systems won’t be all snow, I have to think the mountains are going to put some liquid equivalent into the base – the Mt. Mansfield forecast shows lots of frozen precipitation:

16DEC12B.jpg

The mountains could definitely use this precipitation though – the snow depth at the Mt. Mansfield Stake is currently at 6 inches, and the mean for this date based on the SkiVT-L Mt. Mansfield Snow Depth Graph looks to be around 26 inches, so it is extremely low. We’re also past the mean date when the first off piste skiing forays would be taking place based on my calculations using stake data.

On a similar note, I did a mid month assessment of snowfall here at the house, and 2012-2013 is now the least snowy winter through this point since I started collecting data here. It’s even fallen below the slow-starting 2006-2007, and it’s now well outside the 1 S.D. mark; it’s actually 1.27 S.D. below the mean. The updated mid month plot is below:

15DEC12B.jpg

This pre- xmas stretch is worst ever for lack of snow. My seasonal total is usually more respectable by this point -- not this year -- but op"poor"tunities abound - whoopie

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.02” L.E.

I ran a set of noontime observations, and the data are below. I called the precipitation light snow based on visibility, which is at least a half mile, but at times the snowfall picks up and seems to accumulate rather quickly.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 26.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: <0.5 inches

If we an get it to be frozen midweek then tonights snow can be the snow pack setter...that would be good enough for me.

About an hour and a half of either grapuel or snow gains and now we have light snow with a mix of grains or grapple accumulating on the road and slowly in the grass.

If we an get it to be frozen midweek then tonights snow can be the snow pack setter...that would be good enough for me.

About an hour and a half of either grapuel or snow gains and now we have light snow with a mix of grains or grapple accumulating on the road and slowly in the grass.

We are trending better it seems

Archived