joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had about 3.5 with 2.0" new overnight when I left this morning. It was a bit of a hairy ride in as the roads were pretty snowy and folks were doing some wierd things. I was stuck behind someone who was 90% in the left lane of the two lane road and doing about 15 to 20 mph in the 50 mph zone. (The left lane was no clearer than the right in that area.)

Yep, the roads were a little hairy in places this morning. A couple roads I came across hadn't been plowed and were all tracked up by cars/trucks. No worries though--just chug along in four-wheel.

I did see one car off the road and pretty far down in a ditch. Tow truck was there, situation under control. ;)

Well that first event was an over-performer in my mind out this way... wasn't expecting a solid 4-5" over the mountains and a bunch of 3.5-4.5" reports in the mountain valleys. Its dense stuff so the QPF must've been under-done by the models as I bet there's widespread 0.25-0.5" across northern VT.

Well that first event was an over-performer in my mind out this way... wasn't expecting a solid 4-5" over the mountains and a bunch of 3.5-4.5" reports in the mountain valleys. Its dense stuff so the QPF must've been under-done by the models as I bet there's widespread 0.25-0.5" across northern VT.

NAM did a great job. As for tonight into tomorrow....looks like a lot of liquid. Already 29 here and temps probably won't drop off their highs today into tonight.

NAM did a great job. As for tonight into tomorrow....looks like a lot of liquid. Already 29 here and temps probably won't drop off their highs today into tonight.

Yes, looks like the primary never really gets going to pull down the colder air while the QPF is falling. I guess we'll have to hope for wrap around and/or upslope, and that the Friday storm goes about 1500 miles further east than currently depicted :underthewx:

Event totals: 5.3” Snow/0.45” L.E.

I’m not sure how much additional precipitation to expect from this storm before we move on to the next one, so the above numbers may represent the totals for this event. In any case, this was a decent storm (largest of the season here thus far in terms of snowfall) that actually pushed season accumulations ahead of 2006-2007 on this date. So, 2012-2013 isn’t currently bringing up the rear in my snowfall data and it has also moved back to within 1 S.D. (-0.96) of average snowfall.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky: Light Mist

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Nice J.Spin...so 5.3" total with a 4" depth. I admire your ability to clear every 6 hours (this event gave you 4 samples right?)...I've got around 4" on the ground and a storm total of 4". (no clearing).

Makes me wonder if in fact that 4" is close to your 5.3" as we both ended with the same amount on the ground. I was looking at CoCoRAHS this morning and you could tell who clears and who doesn't by the difference in snowfall vs depth. The Stowe Village guy had 3.5" of snow at 7am but also a depth of 3.5" so I'm assuming he just measures what's on the ground. There was two spots with 4.8" and 5.0" of snow but depths of 4" in Waterbury.

It makes me wonder if there was a 1.5" difference in snowfall or if it was only a half inch based on snow depth with another inch due to different measuring technique.

Nice J.Spin...so 5.3" total with a 4" depth. I admire your ability to clear every 6 hours (this event gave you 4 samples right?)...I've got around 4" on the ground and a storm total of 4". (no clearing).

Makes me wonder if in fact that 4" is close to your 5.3" as we both ended with the same amount on the ground. I was looking at CoCoRAHS this morning and you could tell who clears and who doesn't by the difference in snowfall vs depth. The Stowe Village guy had 3.5" of snow at 7am but also a depth of 3.5" so I'm assuming he just measures what's on the ground. There was two spots with 4.8" and 5.0" of snow but depths of 4" in Waterbury.

It makes me wonder if there was a 1.5" difference in snowfall or if it was only a half inch based on snow depth with another inch due to different measuring technique.

This event would definitely come in lower if you measured it all on one fell swoop – especially with some granular flakes and some sleet pellets that fell on top of previous snow. The snow depth would have been in the 4 to 4.5-inch range if I simply did one check this morning. Six-hour intervals make a nice routine, and I’d like to do it all the time for consistency (well, probably not the overnight ones), but I’m typically on a 12-hour collection cycle (6:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M.) on weekdays due to work and sleep. That’s usually pretty good though, and if the storm is big enough, cancellations and delays help to open up schedules for getting toward the 6-hour cycle – and bigger events provide a little more inspiration for potentially catching that overnight snowboard clearing. For this event I just happened to be grading exams late into the night last night, so being up, there was no way I was going to skip the midnight collection with the unsure nature of what was going to be coming in the morning. I’ve also been home this morning doing the same thing, so it let me get in a noontime collection. Doing the intermediate collections is certainly going to bias accumulations high relative to once a day collection places, but fortunately as adk has indicated in the past, the liquid equivalent is the big equalizer anyway – that’s independent of fluff factor and collection frequency. I really like getting all these intermediate snow densities through the storm though, you can really get a sense for what is going into the various layers in the snowpack.

The next 2 systems look like crud for much of us, but I like our chances around the 27th and again right after New Year's.

I guess you gotta define "us."

The system of next week, were it to roll in exactly as modeled would be a major dump for elevations above 2500 feet along the green spine. Big fat wet stacked lows drifting over the greens and spinning to our n/e makes big time snows.

I guess you gotta define "us."

The system of next week, were it to roll in exactly as modeled would be a major dump for elevations above 2500 feet along the green spine. Big fat wet stacked lows drifting over the greens and spinning to our n/e makes big time snows.

Well I'm talking synoptic...not mesoscale upslope. I think where most people in the subforum live, the next 2 synoptic events (tomorrow and Fri) look messy or rainy. The northern half of Maine obviously is looking very snow with this next system and they may be snowy in Aroostook in the 2nd as well. But yeah, the Greens should score this weekend on the backside of that low.

Archived