joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had -RA/slush and 32+ when I left the house at 6:45, and almost immediately drove into all "snow" - big globs that reminded me of Feb 2010's mashed potato event. Radar has shown lots of 30-40 dbz over S.Franklin since then, so we may have picked up some slush accum before the complete changeover. With this stuff plus the probable Fri RA (mostly), the cooldown over the weekend is going to leave a frozen mass of slips, trips, and falls.

There is a chance, but it has some work to do. The Euro ensembles offer a glimmer of hope with cooler temps aloft, but I have a hard time seeing how it at least wouldn't be a repeat of this storm today.

So you are telling me there's a chance..... Yeahhhh!!!

Sorry had to do it.

Sugarloaf posted a picture to Facebook an hour ago, absolutely ripping like you described PF.

Very elevation dependent... I'm surprised this took on more of an elevation snow aspect rather than a sleet/zr event.

Still holding at 29F at 3600ft and 30F at 2600ft and 33F at 1,500ft.

Essentially white rain down here at 1,500ft but you can see the tight snowline around 1,800-2000ft where the trees go from that rainy brown look to caked. If the sun came out (haha good luck) it would look spectacular with the rime and snow accums above 2,000ft.

Very elevation dependent... I'm surprised this took on more of an elevation snow aspect rather than a sleet/zr event.

Still holding at 29F at 3600ft and 30F at 2600ft and 33F at 1,500ft.

Essentially white rain down here at 1,500ft but you can see the tight snowline around 1,800-2000ft where the trees go from that rainy brown look to caked. If the sun came out (haha good luck) it would look spectacular with the rime and snow accums above 2,000ft.

The more I thought about it the more I realized it was probably going to go straight elevation dependent. I pulled that wholesale change with my last forecast update this morning, and took out most of the ZR/IP. GFS and Euro really had that idea pegged. Keeping the mountains mostly snow throughout, maybe a brief flip to rain this afternoon.

It's amazing how warm that pocket of air must be over Ontario to cause what effectively looks like Lake Effect Rain almost out of the due north coming off Lake Ontario and Erie right now. How often this time of year do you see echos trailing due south from virtually the north pole and have it be rain! Leaves me pretty skeptical that we can cool off enough to see much precip fall later today around here as frozen at lower elevations.

It's amazing how warm that pocket of air must be over Ontario to cause what effectively looks like Lake Effect Rain almost out of the due north coming off Lake Ontario and Erie right now. How often this time of year do you see echos trailing due south from virtually the north pole and have it be rain! Leaves me pretty skeptical that we can cool off enough to see much precip fall later today around here as frozen at lower elevations.

You still raining up there?

I headed in to Burlington today, so I can pass along some snowfall and snowpack observations from my trip. Leaving the house at around 8:30 A.M. or so, the temperature was a bit above freezing and the precipitation was a mixture of rain and snow. The change in snowpack as I headed west was even more dramatic than it was yesterday – just a couple miles west at the start of the Bolton Flats area, there’s basically just an old coating/dusting of snow, and in Jonesville and Richmond there’s nothing at all on the ground. Temperatures were up to around 36 F in the Bolton Flats area, and at least a bit of snow stayed in the precipitation until around Bolton. West of there it was plain rain, with temperatures rising to around 40 F in the Burlington area. There is a trace/coating of snow around here on the UVM campus though.

12z GFS looks much colder to me for Friday. With these trends it may not take much to get closer to a frozen event. Right now, sleet/freezing rain, to rain, to heavy snow. Secondary gets going earlier, colder.

You really need to look at the upper levels and not just the surface maps, It is marginal at H850 and H925 which would not support snow

Low looks like it will move up and bring 3-6 to the mountains. If not more. I think this is going to be a very positive storm for the mountains.

Next saturday looks great too btw. Sure some rain on the front end...but the upslope signature sat thru monday is stellar.

Yeah, I saw that on the models, pretty cool. I’d take this type of pattern with tainted storms any day of the week over watching systems head out to sea. Dry and cold will never build the snowpack, but even with this less than optimal storm track, the mountain snowpack is building. Heck, we’re even getting snow to fall and accumulate down in the lowest mountain valleys, so the current setup can’t be considered that bad. I actually really like these PNW-style days, it’s comfortable outside, and you know that mixed precipitation down low is probably dense snow falling in the high country to substantiate the base. I like the look of the Mansfield point forecast too; Thursday sort of sticks out like a sore thumb:

18DEC12A.jpg

So far I would say that this forecast is not verifying too well, especially as to temperature.

http://www.almanac.c...grange/VT/Barre

DECEMBER 2012:temperature 26.5° (1.5° below avg.); precipitation 4" (1" above avg.); Dec 1-3: Rain and snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 4-6: Snow to rain;Dec 7-11: Flurries, seasonable; Dec 12-15: Snow, then rain showers, mild; Dec 16-20: Snow showers, cold; Dec 21-24: Heavy snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 25-31: Snowy periods, very cold.

12z GFS is just days and days of snow for the upslope region after the Friday event...and even that is getting colder.

This synoptic set-up is text book for heavy upslope snows.

Hour 108...

gfs_namer_108_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

A day later at hour 126, still snowing.

gfs_namer_126_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Then it retrogrades it and it starts snowing again early/mid next week with more NW flow moisture... what a weenie run for the upslope regions. Sniffing out a big event?

gfs_namer_180_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Then it retrogrades it and it starts snowing again early/mid next week with more NW flow moisture... what a weenie run for the upslope regions. Sniffing out a big event?

Let’s hope; that would be great for the resorts during the holiday week - nothing like upslope to infuse some holiday spirit into the visitors.

Dodged a bullet at the ski resort with this storm...especially above 2,000ft.

Here's my 9am snow plot check at 3,000ft High Road...

Of course the snow is stacked up on one side of the measuring pole near the 5 inch line from the front angle, but dropping a ruler into it gave right around 4.2" on the board.

Total depth at that elevation is 13 inches. 9 inches new in the last 48 hours clearing the board twice.

12z GFS is just days and days of snow for the upslope region after the Friday event...and even that is getting colder.

This synoptic set-up is text book for heavy upslope snows.

Hour 108...

gfs_namer_108_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

A day later at hour 126, still snowing.

gfs_namer_126_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

gfs_namer_180_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

As I've said before in this thread: Upslope on for this weekend.

The heck with rain on the front end. Early call. 12-24 above 2500 feet.

Archived