• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Wasn't the nam's thermal profile to warm with wave 1 also?

It was (is?) definitely too aggressive with the mixing. I had to manually try and force the PL back to the SW in the grids because it is too far into NH and ME with it this morning.

So either we're looking at 2" of rain for the coast and interior, or we're throwing up headlines for more winter weather. No big deal.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was (is?) definitely too aggressive with the mixing. I had to manually try and force the PL back to the SW in the grids because it is too far into NH and ME with it this morning.

So either we're looking at 2" of rain for the coast and interior, or we're throwing up headlines for more winter weather. No big deal.

I rather see the headlines for winter weather obviously.............lol, Will watch the model trends today and hope they stay on the colder side

This makes sense... it was absolutely ripping up here from like 5:30-7am. Looks like BTV picked up a quick inch with that batch, too.

Just over 4" at the base right now and looks to have tapered to flurries so far.

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 628 AM EST MONDAY...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW MOVED ACROSS THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY THIS MORNING DROPPING A QUICK INCH OF SNOW HERE

AT THE AIRPORT. PRETTY HEAVY RADAR RETURNS WITH THIS FEATURE.

OTHER AREA OF PRECIPITATION APPROACHING NORTHERN NEW YORK AND

SOUTHERN VERMONT...DOES NOT LOOK AS HEAVY AS THE PRECIP THAT CAME

THROUGH THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY THOUGH. PREVIOUS DISCUSSION FOLLOWS.

Yes, all models now came in much too warm. This entire thing is poorly modeled. Now the are going colder. We are trending more and more to all snow and sleet.

Looks like just a colder rain for the coast with the next two systems, and rain for most on Friday. Never a good sign when the AFD references possible hydro issues. This one has been a nice over-performer though; about 4" here and still coming down, with temps holding in the low 20s.

Yeah I noticed that. Looking at the 0z Euro, by h48 850 0c is SOUTH of 1V4. What're you're thoughts on the colder solutions? (Forecasting for VTrans today,lol).

I kind of buy it. I could see a scenario where we have H8 temps +/- 1 of 0C over the whole area, then see them crash towards the coast as the coastal low gets going. The sooner we can get that secondary to develop the more likely we're going to stay frozen.

I kind of buy it. I could see a scenario where we have H8 temps +/- 1 of 0C over the whole area, then see them crash towards the coast as the coastal low gets going. The sooner we can get that secondary to develop the more likely we're going to stay frozen.

Yeah it would be nice to see a redevelopment with rapid cyclogensis for it to stay snow but I see that being less the likeihood right now.

Right. I'm thinking it could it be a situation where its 34F RA/IP in 'civilization' aka the valley, while above like 2,000ft is sleeting. Then, we all crash back and snow on the backside.

Total of 6.3" with 0.37" LE at 7 AM, and about 1/2" since with continuing -SN. Had 2.3" of 25:1 fluff at my 9 PM obs time, then 4.0" with 0.28" LE overnight.

Current GYX forecast has the foothills staying mostly frozen, with 1-3" today, 2-4" tonight, another 3-5" tomorrow. Hope it works out that well, especially given the trend toward cooler.

2.7" here and still snowing when I left for work at 7:30, not snowing here in Montpelier right now though. It was a really fine, almost sleety snow when I went to bed at 11:30 so I figured we were done, happy to see we weren't. Now, if could just wishcast the next couple of systems colder...

Total of 6.3" with 0.37" LE at 7 AM, and about 1/2" since with continuing -SN. Had 2.3" of 25:1 fluff at my 9 PM obs time, then 4.0" with 0.28" LE overnight.

Current GYX forecast has the foothills staying mostly frozen, with 1-3" today, 2-4" tonight, another 3-5" tomorrow. Hope it works out that well, especially given the trend toward cooler.

There ought to be a pretty sharp gradient to your east with snowfall totals today. We kept getting waves of snow at AUG, WVL, and RKD where it would drop to 1SM -SN then back to P6SM and OVC as the dry air ate the leading edge of precip away.

Had about 3.5 with 2.0" new overnight when I left this morning. It was a bit of a hairy ride in as the roads were pretty snowy and folks were doing some wierd things. I was stuck behind someone who was 90% in the left lane of the two lane road and doing about 15 to 20 mph in the 50 mph zone. (The left lane was no clearer than the right in that area.)

Archived