Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 1-1.25" total back towards you with both S/W there

I'm surprised it's got that much QPF up here...to me the first event feels like a .25-.5" type deal instead of .75"+.

I threw out 2-5/3-6" as preliminary numbers here operationally for Sun into Mon.

It's about 0.8-0.9" of QPF in much of Northern VT. Of course the vertical temperature profile is messy and the resolution won't pick up on the shadowing/enhancement.

It's about 0.8-0.9" of QPF in much of Northern VT. Of course the vertical temperature profile is messy and the resolution won't pick up on the shadowing/enhancement.

That's not shabby...probably near warning criteria. I'm still leaning towards an advisory level event as I feel like we sometimes get split between better lift with the primary to the NW and then another area of enhanced lift sneaking SE of us through SNE into ME from the secondary...but this is a flow that really hits Ludlow north through the Orange Heights on the east side of the Greens.

That's not shabby...probably near warning criteria. I'm still leaning towards an advisory level event as I feel like we sometimes get split between better lift with the primary to the NW and then another area of enhanced lift sneaking SE of us through SNE into ME from the secondary...but this is a flow that really hits Ludlow north through the Orange Heights on the east side of the Greens.

Haven't seen him post here for a while but I'm sure Allenson loves hearing that.

Yes, right into western Caledonia county along the highlands of Cabot, Walden, Peacham, Danville, etc. I hope it gets as far north Burke with the sizable accums but time will tell...

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

LOOKING MORE WINTRY BY THE SECOND HALF OF THE WEEKEND. WE TURN

COLDER THIS PERIOD...AS THE PATTERN TURNS MORE ACTIVE BY LATE IN

THE WEEKEND. HOWEVER...TEMPERATURES SHOULD STILL AVERAGE ABOVE

NORMAL AS THE TRUE ARCTIC AIR REMAINS FAR REMOVED FROM THE

FORECAST AREA. WE BEGIN THE PERIOD WITH BRIEF RIDGING AS HIGH

PRESSURE OVER EASTERN CANADA NOSES INTO THE FORECAST AREA WITH

COLD DRY AIR FOR SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. THEREAFTER...NUMERICALS

AGREE ON EVOLVING BROAD TROUGH OVER THE CONUS BUT WITH SIGNIFICANT

TIMING DIFFERENCES BETWEEN INDIVIDUAL IMPULSES. FOR SUNDAY...CLOUDS

ON THE INCREASE AHEAD OF LEAD IMPULSE WITH WARM AIR ADVECTION

LIGHT SNOWS BREAKING OUT ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA BY EVENING AS

COLUMN IS SUFFICIENTLY COLD. THE TREND OVER THE PAST 24 HOURS HAS

BEEN SLIGHTLY SLOWER WITH THE ARRIVAL OF LIGHT SNOWS AND MUCH OF

WESTERN MAINE COULD NOW SEE A PRECIPITATION FREE DAY ON SUNDAY.

THE MODEL CONSENSUS REDEVELOPS THE SURFACE LOW TO OUR SOUTH WITH

COLUMN COLD ENOUGH FOR A LARGELY FROZEN EVENT EVEN IN COASTAL

SECTIONS SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. A MORE SIGNIFICANT IMPULSE

ARRIVES FOR THE MIDWEEK PERIOD WITH SURFACE LOW AGAIN PASSING TO

OUR SOUTH AND EAST WITH THE POTENTIAL OF A LARGELY SNOW EVENT FOR

THE FORECAST AREA.

post-1154-0-01245100-1355430091_thumb.jp

Well, I finally have a minute to breathe...about to finish my 15 page Analysis and Forecasting paper which oddly enough is covering Northeast Cyclogenesis during the cold season haha.

My most recent thoughts on Sunday-Monday:

As of this evening, I think there is a moderate-high chance of some accumulating snow in the north country. Every piece of guidance, and the 5h pattern supports a 'rotting' primary low pressure meandering through thr great lakes Saturday into Sunday, then transferring its energy to an area near or just south of Long Island Sunday night.

As the energy transition occurs, most should see some over running light snow during the afternoon hours Sunday (except Maine). As the secondary gets going (most guidance shows this, less the 18z GFS) precipitation should expand and increase in intensity over night Sunday into Monday. Monday could feature snowy/icy conditions across the north country, but small changes in shortwave handling will create a vastly different solution on each model run.

So, I guess the take home message here is that there is a modest chance at accumulating snow Sunday into Monday at this point, and beyond that, there isn't much that can be said.

Stay tuned :snowman:

True winter begins in Central NH on Sunday. For me, winter is the time that we have snowcover. It looks pretty locked in that we will have 2-4" or 3-6" from the first wave. Even if the second system is too warm for snow, I don't see ice or some cold rain washing away the snowcover. It can add to its durabilty after the storms. Once we get to late Dec it is pretty rare to have bare ground as far north as I am. So this is the last time I am expecting to see my lawn for awhile. I also don't mind that we don't have any true artic air. I can live with temps in the high teens at night and days around freezing. Personally, I do not enjoy the subzero temps unless we are going to go all the way with record breaking stuff.

Enjoy the start of winter for you guys north of Concord NH for those of us up north but not in the upslope areas of Vermont that are in a climate of their own!

18z GFS ensembles looked nice for NNE on the whole... and definitely looking better for SNE on the second storm.

Days and days of snow? Its got like 3 straight days of measurable. Much better looking than the OP.

Days and days, baby! Days and days! But for real, it looks exciting over the next 7 days before I leave and potentially down in SNE once I'm home...we will see. It usually is quite the opposite haha

PS- just got word I am forecasting on Saturday for VTrans (Issuing Saturday afternoon-Monday forecast). Very excited to put what I've learned to work!

Days and days, baby! Days and days! But for real, it looks exciting over the next 7 days before I leave and potentially down in SNE once I'm home...we will see. It usually is quite the opposite haha

PS- just got word I am forecasting on Saturday for VTrans (Issuing Saturday afternoon-Monday forecast). Very excited to put what I've learned to work!

Good deal! I have to travel back and forth to Rutland Saturday and Sunday so hopefully you can guide the plow guys to keeping 89 - 107 - 100 - 4 nice and clean Sunday evening.

Nice! Good luck with that forecast...I'm really struggling so far with this one; for some reason I'm just not feeling an outcome that's more likely than another one. So many aspects at play, and every model has a different evolution of how Sunday-Wednesday could play out.

Good deal! I have to travel back and forth to Rutland Saturday and Sunday so hopefully you can guide the plow guys to keeping 89 - 107 - 100 - 4 nice and clean Sunday evening.

Yeah good luck with that... we all know how sad and ineffective VTRANS's operations are...

Yeah good luck with that... we all know how sad and ineffective VTRANS's operations are...

Yeah, for most of my life I felt that VT knew winter road care as well as anywhere else. The last few years though has seen a tremendous drop in quality. They claim to have always had a "safe roads at safe speed" policy but something has changed in the last decade or so.

Yeah, for most of my life I felt that VT knew winter road care as well as anywhere else. The last few years though has seen a tremendous drop in quality. They claim to have always had a "safe roads at safe speed" policy but something has changed in the last decade or so.

I'd be happy if they just repaved the disaster of a state road that is 113 between Vershire and Thetford. The rest is just gravy. ;)

Snow? WTF is that?

Archived