Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Son of Sandy- Nov 7-8, 2012 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS more organized with a good band out in GC like we spoke about. Decent in central MA too.

At least with the mid levels the GFS, NAM and 00z Euro would support that type of band that weakens as it heads north towards me. I kind of like how the GFS depicts the QPF as a result: enhancement along the foothills then petering out with time as dynamics weaken.

At least with the mid levels the GFS, NAM and 00z Euro would support that type of band that weakens as it heads north towards me. I kind of like how the GFS depicts the QPF as a result: enhancement along the foothills then petering out with time as dynamics weaken.

That main band pivoting up may be the main show of snow for many, especially in central or ern areas. I guess we might be able to gets spokes of showery precip or even some shallow lift in the colder air to continue some snow in those areas that lose the bigger mid level lift? At that point it turns to a glaze issue like Will said. I'm seeing this as a nowcast issue with this being disorganized. You'll have some yelling bust while others may end up pretty happy.

you think 1-2" then a changeover to rain is safe for here?

In NW CT? You may not get above freezing until Thursday. It's possible you may see double that amount and then a glaze, but I don't think it's a good idea to be terribly bullish for snow considering it's probably going to be a nowcast deal as well as not seeing the euro yet.

That main band pivoting up may be the main show of snow for many, especially in central or ern areas. I guess we might be able to gets spokes of showery precip or even some shallow lift in the colder air to continue some snow in those areas that lose the bigger mid level lift? At that point it turns to a glaze issue like Will said. I'm seeing this as a nowcast issue with this being disorganized. You'll have some yelling bust while others may end up pretty happy.

These situations where ptype is at least partially precip intensity dependent are a spectacular pain to try and convey through the forecast.

That is cold at ORH.

With a layer of good WAA aloft and a shallow but potent cold layer under a strong ENE LLJ, places like the ORH hills may generate that 1SM vis convection sugar snow for a time too. Even is you only have 1-2" of snow(just saying as an example), you would possibly have that wind blown crap with a 29F temp. Pretty nasty. Add ZL on top of that.

Canadian global looks like a good hit for NW CT and Berks, but very hard to tell on those black and white graphics. It's pretty far west so it drags in a little more warmer air aloft, but it has a decent slug of moisture in CT.

The regional really has a strong band moving in as the precip approaches.

Archived