Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Son of Sandy- Nov 7-8, 2012 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 42/33 here in Lynn...let's wet-bulb! interior NE MA usually does well especially when just on the cold side of this CF. Although SREF probs weren't enthusiastic until Lowell or 495

6 and 12z gfs filled in more snow in ne mass (away from imm. coast ) then prior runs. 12z nam as well hit ne mass pretty well.

keeps 0c 850 line SE at 6z tonite

Excellent 700mb frontogenesis "push" delivering the goods to you guys and it is accompanied by -EPV. Thundersnow / locally heavy rates likely with this feature, as you all know already. Enjoy the storm!

Can we all just agree to never acknowledge the winter storm naming thing? I'm very against it.

It seems lame, but if you look at it from the perspective of internet searches, especially things like twitter it makes some sense. Assuming it became widely used, something like #Athena would be much specific and direct to search for vs. terms like #nor-easter and #storm.

It seems lame, but if you look at it from the perspective of internet searches, especially things like twitter it makes some sense. Assuming it became widely used, something like #Athena would be much specific and direct to search for vs. terms like #nor-easter and #storm.

I still don't like it.

EDIT: Flurrying on and off, very lightly, in Waltham.

But hey, first flakes. Count it.

Just wanted to give props to HM for calling this 16 days out. From 10/22:

I won't have internet at my house until Saturday (yikes) so I only get limited time to post on my breaks at work. I wanted to say that while the first event will likely be the more exciting one in terms of potential regional impact, it will be the Heather A signal November 7-10 time frame that will bring a colder, snowier potential to New England. As for the first HA signal and potential tropical phasing, its exact evolution will not matter much for this second potential, as long as it closes off and aids in the -NAO_west block.

Half man, half amazing

Just wanted to give props to HM for calling this 16 days out. From 10/22:

I won't have internet at my house until Saturday (yikes) so I only get limited time to post on my breaks at work. I wanted to say that while the first event will likely be the more exciting one in terms of potential regional impact, it will be the Heather A signal November 7-10 time frame that will bring a colder, snowier potential to New England. As for the first HA signal and potential tropical phasing, its exact evolution will not matter much for this second potential, as long as it closes off and aids in the -NAO_west block.

Half man, half amazing

Thank you. Seriously, it means a lot. On the one hand, the expected pattern flip due to several reasons was well advertised over a month out for late October-early November. All of that was good and the storm call for November or the idea of an early season snowfall was advertised well from a month+ out with a specific date mentioned 16 days out. But on the other hand, I wish I had focused more on the beginning of the pattern (Sandy) instead of looking for snow, from a long range perspective.

Archived