Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Son of Sandy- Nov 7-8, 2012 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850 inflow is great, but it needs to be moist and needs to be lifted. 50kts ripping from the east won't do much without a lifting mechanism. With what Steve said earlier, the air lifted off to the SW in NJ through frontogenesis and isentropic lift.

Tough forecast as modeling is having SW issues it seems, look forward to Messenger RAPping.

mid-level features on that run would suggest maybe a decent band from the northern hills of NJ arcing NE through the S catskills then toward MRG

Yeah that area could rack up a few inches maybe several inches. Elsewhere maybe 1-2 or 1-3 then a glaze into areas just west of BOS on this run. But I think I continue to favor wrn areas into NJ like you said.

Surge values have come back up to 3-5 feet from Montauk on West. Occlusion sometimes has isolated pockets of intense precip, could be some surprise dynamically induced spots of good snow. My thoughts are this is trending back deeper and further west. Best snows on front end.

How this is evolving model wise has a very familiar ring to it. West east west, north south north,intense, meh intense. Just looking at a Messenger WV loop, bombing process might be further North and slower. Guessing 12Z models picking up on that now. Congrats Pete, Will Hunchie.

One thing that seems odd to me is the intense 850 inflow void of decent dynamics. I know occlusion and all ala boxing day but yesterdays and last nights runs concentrated the dynamics in the SW quad. With this mornings runs beginning to reorientated the precip, wonder if that evolution continues where we end up with a comma head well north of the actual center as is usually the case. Also a coastal front, pretty strong at that would provide lift, pretty large thermal contrast.

GFS more organized with a good band out in GC like we spoke about. Decent in central MA too.

We have seen this before, let's see how the Euro handles the SWs

Archived