Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Son of Sandy- Nov 7-8, 2012 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But with what precip? There is little to no precip W of ORH.

Yeah its not a lot of precip...a couple tenths..but that is glaze city with that. Even a tenth of precip with that sounding would be nasty. Doesn't take much ice to make it dangerous.

But regardless, this is the NAM. The other guidance has been more supportive of a light snow in the interior rather than ice. But it wouldn't shock me if we had some issues with light freezing rain or freezing drizzle if we don't get good lift in here.

The low level cold drain is pretty impressive ofr Nov 7th.

Yeah its not a lot of precip...a couple tenths..but that is glaze city with that. Even a tenth of precip with that sounding would be nasty. Doesn't take much ice to make it dangerous.

But regardless, this is the NAM. The other guidance has been more supportive of a light snow in the interior rather than ice. But it wouldn't shock me if we had some issues with light freezing rain or freezing drizzle if we don't get good lift in here.

The low level cold drain is pretty impressive ofr Nov 7th.

No doubt. The issue I see with this is the mid-levels may torch if this occludes too far S as depicted. I would not sway from 1-2" for the interior W of I-495 with the potential for a period of Sleet/icing turning to -ra/drizzle. I just don't see a huge icing issue.

Ugh. Here we already with folks and their qpf fetish. With the low there the precip shield will be we'll NW of where NAM has it. Meteorology not not modelology

It's the NAM track. Instead of slowing and crawling NE or ENE, it sinks back SE. That prevents that lobe of moisture I talked about moving NW. Is it right...not sure...but I question it enough to see how the other guidance looks. The NAM certainly isn't enough to sway me unless all guidance has this. SFEFs weren't very wet either.

If we have very weka lift and that type of saturated sounding mostly below 700mb along with 950mb temps of -4C, that would definitely create light icing as a bigger concern for elevated areas vs an inch or two of snow. However, with the Euro so cold, I would hold off on the light glaze scenario for now. But its definitely something that could happen. The right ingredients are in place for it.

No doubt. The issue I see with this is the mid-levels may torch if this occludes too far S as depicted. I would not sway from 1-2" for the interior W of I-495 with the potential for a period of Sleet/icing turning to -ra/drizzle. I just don't see a huge icing issue.

I don't either, outside of the usual suspects like the Monadnocks. Right where that low level cold air maximizes around 1500-2000 feet I could see a nice elevation icing, but not below that.

NAM is a big toaster bath for those of us in interior New England. Northern edge of the deformation band gets to about the CT/MA border and halts for a long time. While it does eventually pivot back NW into GC for a bit, it is a dying band with little precipitation left in it as the low occludes. Hopefully the 12Z GFS will bear some more fruit, but last night's Euro was not good either. The 06Z GFS wasn't bad and did give this area some precipitation.

How this is evolving model wise has a very familiar ring to it. West east west, north south north,intense, meh intense. Just looking at a Messenger WV loop, bombing process might be further North and slower. Guessing 12Z models picking up on that now. Congrats Pete, Will Hunchie.

Yeah Steve, Looking at WV its over Virginia right now nam had it well to the south of there

This system is almost like a microcane on some of these solutions. Really compact circulation...which keeps the good dynamics pretty close to the center.

One thing that seems odd to me is the intense 850 inflow void of decent dynamics. I know occlusion and all ala boxing day but yesterdays and last nights runs concentrated the dynamics in the SW quad. With this mornings runs beginning to reorientated the precip, wonder if that evolution continues where we end up with a comma head well north of the actual center as is usually the case. Also a coastal front, pretty strong at that would provide lift, pretty large thermal contrast.

Archived