• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Son of Sandy- Nov 7-8, 2012 II

Baroclinic Zone

I have a feeling they issue a WWA with this if the 18z nam and gfs are close to the EC...even if its only 1-3", 2-4", it starts during the evening commute and being the first snowfall of the season, they don't always follow the 3" criteria. Feel good about 2-3" up here but no advisory as 4" is the criteria and it will be following mostly 9pm-3am when not much traveling happens anyway even if the roads did have problems.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the NW hills of CT and Mass could definitely pick up 2-4" with maybe a 5" amount...maybe 1-3" for ORH/TOL?

this has nowcast written all over regarding snow totals and where the banding sets up and or pivots (wma?)

we have models at least showing a storm of decent intensity throwing some precip back and cold enough air outside immediate coast and islands but we can't lock down amount with much confidence.

i think pete will score 3+

I have a feeling they issue a WWA with this if the 18z nam and gfs are close to the EC...even if its only 1-3", 2-4", it starts during the evening commute and being the first snowfall of the season, they don't always follow the 3" criteria. Feel good about 2-3" up here but no advisory as 4" is the criteria and it will be following mostly 9pm-3am when not much traveling happens anyway even if the roads did have problems.

Watch for shadowing up there. You'd be amazed at the effects it has. When forecasting for LSC, I usually take model QPF output and multiply it by like 0.7 haha

I had a feeling it would trend somewhat colder with this polar very dry airmass in place, but I'm still a bit surprised just how cold the BL has trended over the interior. That will definitely help accumulate some snow even if the rates aren't that great.

this has nowcast written all over regarding snow totals and where the banding sets up and or pivots (wma?)

we have models at least showing a storm of decent intensity throwing some precip back and cold enough air outside immediate coast and islands but we can't lock down amount with much confidence.

i think pete will score 3+

I agree. Somewhere above 1,000ft in the Berks will probably see maybe 3-4". From SV, it looks like max QPF in the Berks is like 0.4".

Watch for shadowing up there. You'd be amazed at the effects it has. When forecasting for LSC, I usually take model QPF output and multiply it by like 0.7 haha

Yeah. EURO and gfs both give .3" or just under so maybe 1-2" is a more reasonable call. NAM gives me nothing. It seems like it should stay all snow though so at least that won't be a problem.

I had a feeling it would trend somewhat colder with this polar very dry airmass in place, but I'm still a bit surprised just how cold the BL has trended over the interior. That will definitely help accumulate some snow even if the rates aren't that great.

i was surprised to see the surface temps modeled so cold. a lot of times in these shoulder season events you'll see guidance spitting out like 2 to 3C and just have to account for a warm bias and expect something more like 0 to 1.5C....in this case i'm seeing some <32F readings. impressive.

The weenie maps still say MPM is best area for frontogenesis as dryslot tries to work in from ORH-BDL and SE. The area of higher QPF in ern areas may be due to low level frontogenesis, but temps here may not be conducive. There is a warmer layer aloft as it seems like critical thicknesses are far NW of the 0C 850 line.

I like reading that, but I think it's more likely that the buld of qpf falls southeast of here. If we can get southern VT in the mix, I'll be more comfortable as I'm only 8 miles from the border.

I give up. Where is MPM? Only MPMs I could find were Main Pass, Louisiana and some place in Mozambique.

LOL--GC is close to Mozambique. MPM is me "Moneypit Mike" up in NW Mass.

i was surprised to see the surface temps modeled so cold. a lot of times in these shoulder season events you'll see guidance spitting out like 2 to 3C and just have to account for a warm bias and expect something more like 0 to 1.5C....in this case i'm seeing some <32F readings. impressive.

It won't surprise me to see some 28-29F readings tomorrow night in the elevated spots. The trend in how cold the airmass is has made me more confident that there will be some accumulation. If you recall even in October 2009...the first event (10/15-16), the airmass was chilly with -4 850 temps and cold down to 950mb. We got under freezing in that one here despite fairly light precip rates and that was 3 weeks earlier than this current event. It will be at night too for a little extra boost.

With the cold we have today/tonight/tomorrow...it should start sticking pretty quickly in the hills. Assuming we avoid a NAM solution with like 0.10" of qpf.

I like reading that, but I think it's more likely that the buld of qpf falls southeast of here. If we can get southern VT in the mix, I'll be more comfortable as I'm only 8 miles from the border.

I think Bennington county VT will be on the edge of appreciable QPF. You'll be fine in the northern Berks though..probably 0.3" per Euro.

i think the jackpot somwhere in SNE will see 6-8 inches. this is a respectable storm with good cold air

I think that's gonna be really difficult to do. There is appreciable cold air, but it doesn't correlate perfectly with where max QPF will be. Looking at 12z data, I think the jackpot of maybe 4-6" will be in the southern Berks above 1000' somewhere...on average 0.5-0.6" QPF mainly, if not all snow.

Tides right now are running 1/2 to 3/4 ft above predicted levels from NL east as seen on tidesonline.com. Extratropical surge values are 3-5 feet from NL east to NJ. Wave predictions for open ocean are 10ft near shore with 15-20 offshore. A long duration fetch over more than 1 high tide cycle could contribute to piling. Damaged dune areas and broken sea wall areas are most at risk. Low astronomical high tides and reduced current speed are inhibitors to moderate flooding. With the coast scoured out in places, effects of high water and surf could possibly be different from normally observed.

Archived