amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Son of Sandy- Nov 7-8, 2012 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the SPC WRF depiction. A nice front end band that will thump. It will let up and become a two parter...now the question is whether or not we see bands fills in during this time. They'll probably be a lot of crappy snowgrowth after this first initial band and in between any stronger bands that rotate up.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/spcprod/12/

I feel pretty good about western MA and CT. The thing that concerns me, is a QPF min in central areas as this thing occludes and becomes almost a two part deal. However, most areas seem like a 1-3" I would guess. Maybe the potential for double out west in spots. I feel like nrn ORH could pull a 2-5, but it's not easy trying to pin point any mesoscale features. I also think a coastal front may enhance snow, or precip...especially if the euro is right.

The euro in general does argue for more snow if the thermal profile is right. I mean, it's hard not to get at least 3-6" with a track like that..even if you dryslot. The issue becomes two things. Is the euro correct in the thermal profile, and will this thing becomes ripped to shreds with it occluding so far south. I think the latter is a reason to hedge conservatively.

You and your qpf fetish.......

This is a Mitch to Pete win. North of that will be tough to get the qpf for anything more than a couple.

Oh goodie, meteorological vomit is in the forecast:

Wednesday

A chance of rain, snow, and sleet before noon, then rain likely between noon and 2pm, then rain and snow likely after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Breezy, with a northeast wind 15 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

• Wednesday Night
  • Rain showers, snow showers, and sleet before 10pm, then freezing rain and sleet between 10pm and 3am, then rain showers and sleet after 3am. Low around 29. Windy, with a north wind 24 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Thursday
  • Rain showers and sleet likely, becoming all rain after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Breezy, with a north wind 20 to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.825663095397196&lon=-72.38787329101564

what are your predictions for the GFS Scott?

Well I can't envision any big changes from 12z. Models seem pretty much locked, it's going to come down to nowcast time with radar trends. Given how this may tend to become disorganized with time, I'm sure someone will get screwed and pissed off...but that's the nature of these storms.

In his finest Pashmina shawl and slippers no less.

What? Enjoy your snow as you spend yet another tough day at work with coffee in hand, staring out at your barn. You'll do fine.

Probably relocate the 'office' so I can sit near the woodstove. All I'll need is a pipe.

lmaosmiley.gif

So many posts about 1-2" of snow and pellets...

Forky is right on this one...

The first event brings out the best in people.

Where da qpf?

4581825429_33f5a00465.jpg

LMAO--classic.

Geezus, I know you Mass guys are not effected and this thread is snowcentric but maps Phil posted show basically a hurricane offshore. Not good IMPACTS...MODERATE TO LOCALIZED MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING IS EXPECTED MAINLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. MINOR TO LOCALIZED MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS EXPECTED LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT. LOCALLY MAJOR FLOODING COULD OCCUR IN PLACES DUE TO CHANGES TO UNDERWATER SLOPES AND/OR LOSS OF PROTECTIVE DUNES BOTH CAUSED BY SANDY. WIDESPREAD FLOODING OF VULNERABLE SHORE ROADS AND/OR BASEMENTS WILL HAMPER RECOVERY E

Archived