12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Sandy/Potential EC Event Discussion Part II

free_man

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point in time even though were still several days away, I cant help but imagine the enormous media hysteria that is about to ensue, now that we have the gfs showing a semblance of the euro outcome...And can you imagine if sandy RI's into a major hurricane over the next 24 hours? lol..

by the way, Sandy really is taking off down in the Carribean right now it appears

New vortex data message from Sandy:

URNT12 KNHC 241710

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 24/16:28:50Z

B. 17 deg 20 min N

076 deg 46 min W

C. 700 mb 2861 m

D. 76 kt

E. 086 deg 42 nm

F. 174 deg 84 kt

G. 083 deg 22 nm

H. 973 mb

I. 9 C / 3044 m

J. 15 C / 3046 m

K. 3 C / NA

L. CLOSED

M. C48

N. 12345 / 7

O. 0.02 / 0.5 nm

P. AF308 0418A SANDY OB 28

MAX FL WIND 86 KT SE QUAD 14:41:30Z

;

regardless of exactly how it evolves one thing that is quite well agreed upon is a massive wind field...which really grows on the northern side of the advancing TC thanks to surface HP building in well north of the region. so you end up with a prolonged period of persistent, strengthening onshore flow.

Gradient is sick. Something liek a track just south of SNE would be very bad for the coast.

regardless of exactly how it evolves one thing that is quite well agreed upon is a massive wind field...which really grows on the northern side of the advancing TC thanks to surface HP building in well north of the region. so you end up with a prolonged period of persistent, strengthening onshore flow.

Onshore flow = major concerns for coastal impacts.

The capture option seems to be more and more on the table, but when and where will it happen?

Agree. Thinking sooner vs. later, i.e. farther south and west Closer to LI/NY Bight.

I think now the media hype can truly begin. It's coming in full fury

As a member of the media this is already an issue here at my job. ND wants comparison to Irene. I told him comparisions to storms past on a storm yet to hit is flat out stupid and also pointless for many reasons including the following: this is not Irene; past storms of significance affected areas differently (worse vs. not so bad) - this storm could be worse in areas that were not as adversely affected in Irene (or other storms) while areas that were may not be as bad as they were hit with Irene (or other storms). Not everyone who may watch us was here for these past storm(s).

I also said avoid using "hype" words, huge, monstrous, etc. Just let us give out the necessary info and details in a clear, informative and non-obfuscative way. Always sucks when you have to battle and figure out a challenging wx scenario and also have to battle and appease idiots at work who think they know weather.

Archived