Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wake Me Up When September Ends / Banter thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think it is more of a siting issue than sensor error. That is why the issues happen mainly in the summer. There is evapotranspiration, dew/moist ground, and oftentimes a BL that is not well mixed. After one good cold front with 20mph winds the hygrometers on well calibrated Davis stations tend to come in line. I have noticed some volatility in the readings though even on mine as sometimes the RH can jump around 5-10%. If people want to be weenies they can wait for that one RH peak that brings their dew to 75F, but taking a 10min avg is more representative. They do have some trouble with readings after sunrise from dew formation, but overall they aren't that bad imo.

I still think it is more of a siting issue than sensor error. That is why the issues happen mainly in the summer. There is evapotranspiration, dew/moist ground, and oftentimes a BL that is not well mixed. After one good cold front with 20mph winds the hygrometers on well calibrated Davis stations tend to come in line. I have noticed some volatility in the readings though even on mine as sometimes the RH can jump around 5-10%. If people want to be weenies they can wait for that one RH peak that brings their dew to 75F, but taking a 10min avg is more representative. They do have some trouble with readings after sunrise from dew formation, but overall they aren't that bad imo.

It definitely is, just bustin' Kevin's chops.

It definitely is, just bustin' Kevin's chops.

There are definitely some stations out there sending bad data from CWOP. I see the MADIS numbers and sometimes I just shake my head at some of the crap getting sent. On windy stretches in the winter I try to calibrate my RH to what MADIS thinks it should be. Too many people get a home station and just throw it out there without QC'ing their data or performing any maintenance. The sensor drift is much worse with the lower end home stations vs a Davis. I believe Davis will refurbish an entire station for only $100 so it isn't a bad investment if you're really into the hobby.

There are definitely some stations out there sending bad data from CWOP. I see the MADIS numbers and sometimes I just shake my head at some of the crap getting sent. On windy stretches in the winter I try to calibrate my RH to what MADIS thinks it should be. Too many people get a home station and just throw it out there without QC'ing their data or performing any maintenance. The sensor drift is much worse with the lower end home stations vs a Davis. I believe Davis will refurbish an entire station for only $100 so it isn't a bad investment if you're really into the hobby.

Congratulations, Brian!!!

When I eventually move into a house, I'll probably get a high end Davis. I can't do anything like that now..hell I can't even find a good place for a thermometer.

Archived