CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Wake Me Up When September Ends / Banter thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norfolk and Hartland do blow the rest of NW CT out of the water, I can be in Hartland in about 10 to 15 mins and it is a whole different world up there iin the winter, very much like West Chesterfield

Yeah Hartland does extremely well. It's pretty much them and Norfolk.

I wouldn't really say they blow the rest of NW CT out of the water that might be an exaggeration. maybe Canton lol

North Canton does well

Blown out of water might be extreme lol but head to up Hartland during 2011 it was impressive even compared to your part of Torrington/ Harwinton probably has a lot to do with retention too. The only other area I saw that year with as

much was the Washington/Southern Warren area,, they cleaned up.

Bigelow Hollow is a good place for snow/ice retention. This winter Bigelow Pond was the only place that I was able to walk out on the ice in safety. The snowmobile trails will sometimes have packed snow on them into April.

Yeah, that is a good spot. The high percentage of evergreens really helps. A lot of people wouldn't think that snowmobiling is as big as it is in that corner of the state. It's also one of places that I do a "last check" on snow in the spring. lol

Yeah, that is a good spot. The high percentage of evergreens really helps. A lot of people wouldn't think that snowmobiling is as big as it is in that corner of the state. It's also one of places that I do a "last check" on snow in the spring. lol

Yeah it's a cold place with reliable winter lake ice. Last January the pond had 6-8" of ice while Coventry lake had maybe 2-3" of somewhat questionable ice depth. In February of 2011 Mashpaug Pond had 18-24" of ice. I dont go ice fishing or snowmobiling, I just like to explore the frozen lakes and enjoy the peace and quiet that one can find up there.

Yeah it's a cold place with reliable winter lake ice. Last January the pond had 6-8" of ice while Coventry lake had maybe 2-3" of somewhat questionable ice depth. In February of 2011 Mashpaug Pond had 18-24" of ice. I dont go ice fishing or snowmobiling, I just like to explore the frozen lakes and enjoy the peace and quiet that one can find up there.

I've often wondered what temperatures there ran. It's such a deep valley. I've often thought about putting a data logger down there and seeing what the temps run.

I've often wondered what temperatures there ran. It's such a deep valley. I've often thought about putting a data logger down there and seeing what the temps run.

My car thermometer usually falls by about 3F or so between leaving I-84 and driving into the hollow. Boston Hollow is another cold spot in Eastern Connecticut

Holding in the low-70s. Wonder if we can break below 60.

lol...47° up at SLK. Mid 50s in some spots in NE CT.

My car thermometer usually falls by about 3F or so between leaving I-84 and driving into the hollow. Boston Hollow is another cold spot in Eastern Connecticut

The house at the northern end of it is probably the last spot too to loose it's snow! That is a unique geological feature. I often drive north from there into the Yale Forest. You'd never know you in CT, let alone SNE.

54.0F at the house

What a range of temps in New England this evening!

http://www.wrh.noaa....88037&density=1

Some spots in Fairfield County, CT are neat 70° while other parts of the state are in the low 50s and in NNE it's in the 40s! Over in NNY, SLK is 43°...I think they'll be up for some frost but that's nothing unusual for this time of year.

Archived