12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Wake Me Up When September Ends / Banter thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the population for the towns that are generally low elevation lol.

Hartford, West Hartford, East Hartford, Manchester, Vernon, Enfield, Bloomfield, Windsor, Suffield, Southington, Farmington, Berlin, Middletown, Rocky Hill, New Britain, Wethersfield, Cromwell etc etc etc.

Yeah but half of those towns aren't in the CT River Valley

I have 15-16K in Tolland..Tolland> Harwinton

And your neighborhood is much higher than most of those people.

It's great that you live at 900 feet... but you're the extreme exception in this state. Most people live near sea level. Even elevated towns have most of their development and population density near rivers in the bottom of valleys. That's just the way it is lol.

He's right. Population by county:

Fairfield 925,899

Hartford 894,705

New Haven 861,113

New London 273,502

Litchfield 188,789

Middlesex 166,043

Tolland 152,507

Windham 118,151

And even counties like Litchfield, Tolland, and Windham the vast majority of those people live in valleys and not near hilltops lol.

Yeah they really all are. I consider that whole area really the valley. Pretty much all of Hartford County outside of the western most layer of towns.

The lower Farmington Valley is really part of the CT River Valley IMO. The weather in the center of Avon isn't a whole lot different than on the other side of Avon Mtn.

It's great that you live at 900 feet... but you're the extreme exception in this state. Most people live near sea level. Even elevated towns have most of their development and population density near rivers in the bottom of valleys. That's just the way it is lol.

Considering elevations over 500 ft are not that widespread in this state, it's not hard to see why most of us are stuck within a couple hundred feet of sea level.

I have 15-16K in Tolland..Tolland> Harwinton

Yes until it comes to snow, severe or cold temps

:P

And yeah Ryan iirc both winsted and torrington have valley floors around 500 or so feet, with elevations near 1400' in each town. I live 300' from the Torrington border and I'm at 1k', but a two minute drive brings you under 600

Yes until it comes to snow, severe or cold temps

:P

And yeah Ryan iirc both winsted and torrington have valley floors around 500 or so feet, with elevations near 1400' in each town. I live 300' from the Torrington border and I'm at 1k', but a two minute drive brings you under 600

Yeah I think the center of Torrington is ~500 feet. That's where most people live there. Sure you can get to 1100 feet on either side of town but the majority of people aren't living there.

Of course we cover the whole state but you always have to keep in mind that the vast majority of viewers are not in the hills or on a hill lol.

I know, I was playfully bragging. My area nw and w to the borders seriously seems like it is a different world sometimes than the rest of CT. I'm also a huge snob and am still convinced I average over 70" a year haha. My house and Ians old house in Goshen are 5 miles as the crow flies.

Isn't it awesome that this is what we have to talk about for the next 3 months?

90% of Tolland is 500+ feet..Lower spots are in S part of town twds Willington and Coventry

The lowest spot in Stafford is 475'...it's all uphill from there. The highest spot is 1300' so 99% of its 12K people live above 500'. No one lives at 1300' but I'd say 5-600 people live above 1000'.

Temps are dropping off nicely early this evening. High temp was 69° here too.

That's the way it is in Vermont too...people settled near waterways back in the day. Town centers are almost always near the lowest elevations in town.

Take Stowe for example...highest inhabited elevation in town is around 2000ft and there are quite a few homes in the 1,200-1,600ft range, but the majority live near the town center (like me) along the river at elevations between 700-900ft.

That's the way it is in Vermont too...people settled near waterways back in the day. Town centers are almost always near the lowest elevations in town.

Take Stowe for example...highest inhabited elevation in town is around 2000ft and there are quite a few homes in the 1,200-1,600ft range, but the majority live near the town center (like me) along the river at elevations between 700-900ft.

I've seen some exceptions to that rule such as Peru, MA which I was told at one point was the highest town center in New England at just over 2,000' but you are right, when it came time for settlements, people settled the valleys to be out of the "extreme" weather.

How well do they typically radiate? Are they a hillside or valley location?

They're at 980', near the top of a hill that goes to about 1100'. It's a very quick increase though, about 600' horizontal distance. As you can guess, it's on a pretty good incline. For some reason the place usually radiates pretty well despite its location.

The lowest spot in Stafford is 475'...it's all uphill from there. The highest spot is 1300' so 99% of its 12K people live above 500'. No one lives at 1300' but I'd say 5-600 people live above 1000'.

Temps are dropping off nicely early this evening. High temp was 69° here too.

I'm not sure lowest in Tolland..but it's probably somewhere near the Ellington line or Coventry line..and I doubt it's much below 450 feet. NE CT is very elevated .It's false IMO to claim that most folks up here don't have good elevation becasue they do

It always make me laugh when I see the AFD's and they always use ORH hills and and hills of RI..when in fact RI has a tiny part that is somewhat hilly and the highest point in the state is Jerico Hill which is under 800 feet. Most of NE CT is higher than NW RI

It's also funny those NW RI hills avg as much as you.

It always make me laugh when I see the AFD's and they always use ORH hills and and hills of RI..when in fact RI has a tiny part that is somewhat hilly and the highest point in the state is Jerico Hill which is under 800 feet. Most of NE CT is higher than NW RI

You drive over the highest pt in Rhode Island on route 6 (?) and don't even notice other than a sign on the side of the road lol.

Archived