Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Wake Me Up When September Ends / Banter thread

Damage In Tolland

:weenie:

Nice spin.

Your 5" of slush when I get rain is fine. I have no use for that kind of snow.

That's what makes us different. I love snow..any snow..I live in the hills because I chose to. It wasn't an accident I ended up at the 2nd highest spot in town.

I wish I could be in NW CT..but since I can't this suits me fine.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what makes us different. I love snow..any snow..I live in the hills because I chose to. It wasn't an accident I ended up at the 2nd highest spot in town.

I wish I could be in NW CT..but since I can't this suits me fine.

People say I average the same as you and I'm at the same elevation and basically in Torrington which is pretty far NW. To get 10-15" more a season you have to move to places like Norfolk or Canaan etc...where you only really want to live if you have 7 teeth. It's not worth it IMO.

People say I average the same as you and I'm at the same elevation and basically in Torrington which is pretty far NW. To get 10-15" more a season you have to move to places like Norfolk or Canaan etc...where you only really want to live if you have 7 teeth. It's not worth it IMO.

Harwinton at 1,000 feet is def a better snow spot than Tolland at 1,000 feet..Not by a lot. But it is.

If you average 58 and I average 60-65 that's really not that big a deal. We should keep really close accurate track of our snowfall this year just out of curiosity.

The main diff..is the coastals where you end up stuck under those heavy bands that like to pivot in your area..while I get the heavy bands, but then tend to get out of the heaviest stuff for hours while NW Ct pounds..eventually the hvy bands move back over me twds the end..but by then you've had a few inches more than me and it's over. That's where the diff comes from..And maybe a bit of LE snow that NW CT gets that I don't

Well NW CT probably is a bit better at snowpack retention too. Not much (except maybe far NW), but perhaps a bit more and you get those refreshers from LE.

Yeah some of those towns on the E slope like Norfolk and Hartland (and a bit of Colebrook) are almost like Pete kind of weather. >1000 feet and good retention.

The main diff..is the coastals where you end up stuck under those heavy bands that like to pivot in your area..while I get the heavy bands, but then tend to get out of the heaviest stuff for hours while NW Ct pounds..eventually the hvy bands move back over me twds the end..but by then you've had a few inches more than me and it's over. That's where the diff comes from..And maybe a bit of LE snow that NW CT gets that I don't

That's true but it's just sort of odd that it happens like that so frequently. There is definitely some kind of climatologically favored area for some of that mesoscale banding?

Yeah, I'm just happy cause in a lot of synoptic storms I get only like 2-3" less than say Norfolk. They just get smaller events way more often (when I'm raining, rotting LES) etc that add up to more. I can't remember back too far because I was young, but I've measured 2'+ more than a couple of times. I would still like those small events to keep things fresh but I'm happy with what I get.

That's true but it's just sort of odd that it happens like that so frequently. There is definitely some kind of climatologically favored area for some of that mesoscale banding?

Yeah there is something that causes that to happen. I mean they aren't any colder than here unless you get up into Norfolk..The way the coastals track..that part of W CT ends up under those bands forever..and it'll still be snowing here, but much lighter. I do better than them on the Miller B's that bomb just south and east of LI.

Any kind of Miller A they always kill me

Also I tend to warm more at mid levels than they do..SO we both may be 28, but I'll have sleet or snow grains while they pound S+

That one localized area in NW CT centered around Norfolk is an almost perfect orographic setup....its almost an elevated plateau with a very sharp upslope component to the west of them where any rotting LES gets regenerated. They will get heir own little private snowstorms of 4-8" of fluff on occasion while 5 miles away might see flurries and 10 miles away is sunny.

And they don't get screwed on a NNE wind during coastals...they get a nice upslop component there too from the CT Valley in MA gliding up the extreme S Berks and then into the NW CT elevations there. The problem with NW CT if you are south of that peak elevated area in Norfolk is that you will actually downslope on a north wind, which could hurt in coastals.

Yeah some of those towns on the E slope like Norfolk and Hartland (and a bit of Colebrook) are almost like Pete kind of weather. >1000 feet and good retention.

I would say that the eastern part of Somers and the northern part of Stafford and Union do pretty good for retention in the eastern part of the state. There's places that will have a full pack of snow in the woods and open areas long after other the rest of the area.

I haven't seen any real consistent pattern to larger mesoscale banding in coastal snowstorms...though the GC to NW CT area got the jackpot twice in less than a one year span from 1/12/11 and then again in October 2011...so it made it seem like they get it all the time.

However, when I looked prior to that in our coastal storms...I came up with:

1/27/11: E CT/RI/E MA jackpot...GC to NW CT porked

12/26/10: Just west of Berks/NW CT jackpot into E NY state.

12/19/09: SE CT/RI/SE MA jackpot...smoking cirrus in GC to NW CT

3/2/09: SE CT/RI jackpot

12/21/08: NE MA jackpot...GC to NW CT grazed

2/12/06: central/SW CT jackpot (HFD to DXR)...electrical bath for GC to NW CT

12/9/05: NW CT jackpot, though the totals were pretty uniform...they onyl got like an inch more than most which was probably just due to upslope, etc...NE MA was the real jackpot

1/22/05: E MA/RI/Cape Cod jackpot

Going back further, we still see no real pattern...NW CT into N ORH and SW NH got smoked in Feb 2001, Mar 2001 and Jan '03...but storms like Feb 2003, Dec 2003 and Xmas 2002 varied from jackpots on the coast to NW of GC/NW CT (like ALB area).

Archived