Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh: here in Baton Rouge we are awaiting the northeast eyewall. We have had strong TS gusts all night increasing this morning.

Stay safe as there will be lots of debris on the roads. Those south Louisiana folks will take care of you.

With power out the next step is to have a cookout with all of the stuff in the freezers and refrigerators.

My iPad on AT&T 3G service has had a good, solid connection the entire time, without interruption-- which is why I've been able to really give the blowby-blow on this chase.

The T-Mobile calling/data service for my phone, however, crapped out late yesterday afternoon, and I've had almost no connectivity since, so Scott and I have had to communicate via eMail and in this thread-- no conversations or texts during the storm.

Cool. ATT 3g IPAD can run skype or google talk. We use both alot, even for instant messaging/since you can collaborate real time. TMo is rough, in some places they have awesome HSDPA cable of quality data speeds to 30-40mbps, however the coverage is rough in areas with elevation, even for 1G/2G voice calling.

Finally, add one of the popular txt apps to your iPad. Some even offer free VoIP telephone numbers that take your ipad or ipod and make it a telephone. TEXT NOW is very popular and you get a free telephone number.

Cool. ATT 3g IPAD can run skype or google talk. We use both alot, even for instant messaging/since you can collaborate real time. TMo is rough, in some places they have awesome HSDPA cable of quality data speeds to 30-40mbps, however the coverage is rough in areas with elevation, even for 1G/2G voice calling.

Finally, add one of the popular txt apps to your iPad. Some even offer free VoIP telephone numbers that take your ipad or ipod and make it a telephone. TEXT NOW is very popular and you get a free telephone number.

Google Voice also does this.

Grand isle is a good measure of the storm surge height where Josh was located, Galliano is in the swamps northwest of Grand Isle, right on one of those spits of land that's in the middle of the ocean. Below is the surge in Grand Isle, note how the main surge occurs right after the eye. I'm sure the town was fine*, but infrastructure connecting that little swamp town to the rest of the world is probably mostly fooked.

post-645-0-50290500-1346279766_thumb.png

*Well maybe not that fine due to wind, rain, and overwash so we'll see what Josh has to report, but the worst that could've happened is he sunk a rental car into the swamp.

Josh was inside the levees that protect Galliano which is located along Bayou Lafourche in Lafourche Parish. I have not heard of any levee problems in Lafourche Parish. Levee problems have been in Plaquemines Parish. BTY, it appears they will implode a section of levee in Plaquemines Parish to relive pressure.

When I talked with him before noon they were not letting anyone leave town. Some of the bridges across the bayou were closed. Also 24 (road to Houma) was closed in both directions at several points because of downed trees this morning.

Asleep most of the day so he may have talked with some of the other guys since the interview with Ryan.

Josh, that took some very serious stones to go out into an unfamiliar bayou in a major storm at night with uncertain storm surge potential by yourself AND find the freaking eye. Out there in the bayou you had to have known whatever happened you were pretty much on your own. Maybe you can sell your adventures as a series to TWC.

Archived