• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

I'm still working on my Isaac video, which I'm going to post live on Saturday. The editing has been really slow-going!

But in the meantime, I wanted to share the just-released Isaac video by my very good friend, Michael Laca. (His site: http://tropmet.com/.) Michael's a great cameraman and editor, and so this is a Grade-A video essay of Hurricane Isaac's nocturnal assault on downtown New Orleans. The shots are gorgeous and beautifully-composed, and the editing is very tight, building to a nice climax. This is the gold standard of all the Isaac footage I've seen-- just awesome work.

My video is a completely different flavor entirely. I was down in the bayous, in a tiny town, in the darkness, with a hand-held camera, and so the whole vibe is completely different-- rougher and so on. Michael was the City Mouse and I was the Country Mouse for this hurricane. :D It will be interesting to contrast the settings/styles once mine goes live.

Anyhoo, enjoy this top-notch work. Look for my video on Saturday. B)

Quality bendy palms/urban storm action. No sarcasm, I like bendy palms.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice video Josh. The most dramatic footage (to me) was your attempt to get back to the elevated bridge while the wind was whipping water across the road.

That said, I'm sure no video can truly convey the most incredible feature of this storm--it's duration. A 7-hour eye is remarkable. I can't imagine what people would have thought about that before we had an understanding of hurricanes.

Thanks for sharing it!

Nice video Josh. The most dramatic footage (to me) was your attempt to get back to the elevated bridge while the wind was whipping water across the road.

That said, I'm sure no video can truly convey the most incredible feature of this storm--it's duration. A 7-hour eye is remarkable. I can't imagine what people would have thought about that before we had an understanding of hurricanes.

Thanks for sharing it!

Hey, thanks, Scott! Others have commented on that part, too-- I'm glad I left it in!

I often wonder how people from centuries ago perceived hurricanes, and the eye in particular. Even when you understand it, its a surreal experience-- so for them, it must have been bizarre. This time around... Being in the eye for 7 hours was interesting because I'd literally forget I was in a hurricane for long stretches.

P.S. I was nervous to read your comments, as I thought you would yell at me for once again not using a tripod. :D However, solutions are in the works for next time.

My last radar report on the eye of TY Irma at Clark AB in 1974 had a 27 NM eye moving at 4-5 kt so I can relate to long eye passages but that was during the day and I could follow the progress of the backside as it approached visually. The larest typhoon eye on record was 100 mi in diameter and it passed over Okinawa that would have been an experience as well.

Steve

My last radar report on the eye of TY Irma at Clark AB in 1974 had a 27 NM eye moving at 4-5 kt so I can relate to long eye passages but that was during the day and I could follow the progress of the backside as it approached visually. The larest typhoon eye on record was 100 mi in diameter and it passed over Okinawa that would have been an experience as well.

Steve

100 miles-- what?? :lol:

What typhoon was that and are there any radar or satellite shots? A whole microcane could fit inside that. :D

P.S. How strong was Irma when it reached you guys?

It was actually a 200mi diameter eye, and the record holder is typhoon Carmen in 1960. Check out page 103 of the ATCR archive.

Another feature quite unusual about this typhoon was the diameter of its eye. Reconnaissance aircraft frequently reported eye diameters of 100 mi, using as the basis of measurement, surface winds and pressure gradient. However, with respect to wall clouds surrounding the eye, radar photographs taken from the CPS-9 at Kadena AB show quite clearly, that on 20 August, the eye had a diameter of approximately 200 mi(see photograph this chapter)

Also checkout a nice concentric eyewall from STY Winnie 1997

It was actually a 200mi diameter eye, and the record holder is typhoon Carmen in 1960. Check out page 103 of the ATCR archive.

Also checkout a nice concentric eyewall from STY Winnie 1997

Wow-- 200 mi. That is crazy. I don't even understand how something that wide/loose can sustain hurricane winds.

Winnie looks odd. The paper refers to a large eye, but since there's that embedded baby eyewall inside of it, really that "large eye" is a moat, it would seem.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to the NHC report on Isaac.  It won't have any surprises, but it should be a fun read. I sent the NHC my obs, as I do after most chases (attached).

Looking back at it... My chief takeaway was that Isaac was a big, significant cyclone, despite its category rating.  In putting together my chase report, I mapped the NHC's hourly position estimates (blue markers) as well as my locations (red markers).  You can see the motion was pretty wobbly and erratic as it came ashore.  And for that reason, I was in the eye for a whopping 7 hours:

post-19-0-29500200-1357766902_thumb.png

iCyclone Chase Report - ISAAC 2012.pdf

Archived