Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost 7 am and we're still in the eye lolz. Totally insane. We've been in it for hours-- a record for me.

For what it's worth... Now that my barometer has dried and seems to be functioning correctly again, I'm measuring a pressure of 970.3 mb. It's damaged equipment, but it corresponds nicely with KGAO.

Hi.... In regards to AWOS and winds, I talked to manufactures of AWOS systems that were put in North Dakota over the past 2 years and also ones put in by the state of Minnesota over the past few decades, as well as the FAA AWOS systems. From my understanding, the wind gust reported in an AWOS obs is based on the past 10 minutes. So in the case of an AWOS whose obs is sent out at 0515z....you are seeing the gust only between 0505-0515z.... then the next obs at 0535z.....you are seeing the gust between 0525-0535z.... so with each 20 min obs you are missing what the peak wind is for roughly half the period. So, in this case certainly could have a higher wind gust that what was reported with the 20 min obs if it had occurred in the missing 10 min periods.

Dan NWS FGF

It's almost 7 am and we're still in the eye lolz. Totally insane. We've been in it for hours-- a record for me.

For what it's worth... Now that my barometer has dried and seems to be functioning correctly again, I'm measuring a pressure of 970.3 mb. It's damaged equipment, but it corresponds nicely with KGAO.

Good job on another successful chase Josh! Can't wait to see the pics and videos later on when you get a chance to upload them.

That has to be so weird just hanging out in the eye like that. Good job on the chase!

Did your Kestrel seal leak or something?

I can't believe how nice everyone's being-- thank you. :wub:

This was, I think, the most frustrating chase ever for both Scott and me. We were literally *hating* this project up until the by end-- ragging on the storm, pulling our hair out over the model disparities, drawing blanks Re: how to navigate the bayous and Metro New Orleans, and so on.

We're honestly surprised it turned out so well.

Still in the eye-- I think it's been over 4 hours now (!!!)-- however, the pressure's edged up a couple of millibars and the winds, though light, have shifted to the S-- so we've clearly crossed over to the other side of the circulation.

In case any of you are trying to picture it... This eye is not the stadium kind with a pretty dab of blue sky at the top-- it's grey and drizzly, with occasional gusts to gale force, like large eyes often are. It reminds me a lot of Wilma's eye, actually.

I suppose at some point this week the hurricane winds will start up again!

Still in the eye-- I think it's been over 4 hours now (!!!)-- however, the pressure's edged up a couple of millibars and the winds, though light, have shifted to the S-- so we've clearly crossed over to the other side of the circulation.

In case any of you are trying to picture it... This eye is not the stadium kind with a pretty dab of blue sky at the top-- it's grey and drizzly, with occasional gusts to gale force, like large eyes often are. It reminds me a lot of Wilma's eye, actually.

Pics possible?

:lol:

Congrats Josh.

:lol:

Hang in there. It gets better ;)

I can't believe how nice everyone's being-- thank you. :wub:

This was, I think, the most frustrating chase ever for both Scott and me. We were literally *hating* this project up until the by end-- ragging on the storm, pulling our hair out over the model disparities, drawing blanks Re: how to navigate the bayous and Metro New Orleans, and so on.

We're honestly surprised it turned out so well.

If you'd just gone by my 2nd call track map from 2.5 days ago...you'd have been all set!! (ignore the intensity part) ;P

Yes! I actually just got out of the car and snapped one just for you. :)

Unfortunately, my phone has no service, so I can't upload it-- but I will later on, in this thread, so you can see it.

You'll be shocked at how blah and unphotogenic Isaac's eye is. :lol:

Lol. You mean no flying birds or bugs either? Lol. I'm sure the relaxing of the onslaught is worth the blah eye appearance.

Thanks. Curious...how has mobile service been? Enough for data....3G or 4G. Would an iPad with mobile service been useful or not?

Current outage due to storm or location?

Gotta give credit to you or whoever sent you deep into bayou country given the model disparity 36-48 hours ago. Enjoying the play-by-play of your chase!

Thank you.

It was a very difficult decision-- trying to decide between the bayou country or Slidell/W MS. We figured it was going to be one or the other, and at a certain point, I just had to commit to an option and go for it without looking back. But even once I committed to it, the constant track wobbles and model shifts caused us to second-guess the decision a million times over. Scott and I really hated this one, and I'm sure Adam and Jorge were weary of me putting them on the spot every morning, begging for clarity when there was none to be had. It was just a dreadful process. :D

Lol. You mean no flying birds or bugs either? Lol. I'm sure the relaxing of the onslaught is worth the blah eye appearance.

Thanks. Curious...how has mobile service been? Enough for data....3G or 4G. Would an iPad with mobile service been useful or not?

Current outage due to storm or location?

My iPad on AT&T 3G service has had a good, solid connection the entire time, without interruption-- which is why I've been able to really give the blowby-blow on this chase.

The T-Mobile calling/data service for my phone, however, crapped out late yesterday afternoon, and I've had almost no connectivity since, so Scott and I have had to communicate via eMail and in this thread-- no conversations or texts during the storm.

Some thoughts from Dr. Neil Frank this morning as posted by our morning local OCM, David Paul just a minute ago, Josh...

Hi gang- I had a great talk with Dr. Frank both on and off the air this morning. Basically he feels the ridge to the north is/will slow the storm. As the ridge to the north moves east Isaac will eventually move northwest around the western edge of the ridge. Yesterdays 00Z GFS is close to his idea of Isaacs future track. He agrees with the potential for some gusts within some rain bands along and east of I-45 could be in the 35-40mph range today and more likely tomorrow. AS ALWAYS, he points out that we live in a world of uncertainty, stay prepared. Really great to have him here this morning!

My iPad on AT&T 3G service has had a good, solid connection the entire time, without interruption-- which is why I've been able to really give the blowby-blow on this chase.

The T-Mobile calling/data service for my phone, however, crapped out late yesterday afternoon, and I've had almost no connectivity since, so Scott and I have had to communicate via eMail and in this thread-- no conversations or texts during the storm.

You could use iMessage on the iPad with 3G service to text anyone with an iPhone.

Yes! I actually just got out of the car and snapped one just for you. :)

Unfortunately, my phone has no service, so I can't upload it-- but I will later on, in this thread, so you can see it.

You'll be shocked at how blah and unphotogenic Isaac's eye is. :lol:

What?! No camera on your iPad which you can use to upload it?! :P:D

Archived