• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

Is he recording winds or did he decide against it? It was iffy whether he'd deploy the new BASTARD for the whole storm since the backup Kestrel didn't make it to him in time.

I'm not sure Cory. He has a picture on facebook where it's deployed (I think with that new yacht like mast addition of his) but not sure if he has kept it up. Been increasingly hard to understand him with conditions going downhill.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ripping good, guys. I'm in a church parking lot-- wind howling, car rocking, keeping myself low. Cory, I did deploy the BASTARD, and as far as I can tell you, the equipment is still there and functioning. It's pitch black but I can hear it whirring.

Gotta go.

:thumbsup:

It's ripping good, guys. I'm in a church parking lot-- wind howling, car rocking, keeping myself low. Cory, I did deploy the BASTARD, and as far as I can tell you, the equipment is still there and functioning. It's pitch black but I can hear it whirring.

Gotta go.

Yeah, you got it man. :scooter::guitar:

Gotta go.

:thumbsup:

Gusting to zero here. This is when the jealousy really sets in.

Gotta go.

Sweeeeet! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK, wind equipment majorly malfunctioned. Max gust 39 kt, which is obviously wrong, given nearby obs. LOL! Grrrrrrr.

However, the BASTARD performed perfectly-- didn't budge an inch. So, Cory, congrats to you for an engineering job well done! For the next chase, we're gonna use new equipment.

Wind picking up again after a relative lull that allowed me to get out of the car to check the instrument.

One quick warning: where you are now, the Mississippi River levee system blocks the storm surge. Storm surge now exceeds 10 feet above mean lower-low water in Shell Beach, Saint Bernard Parish, but water levels actually fell below normal in Morgan City as northeasterly winds blow water from the marshes into the Gulf of Mexico. If the hurricane moves to the south of you, as it now is doing, southerly winds will begin to blow water from the Gulf of Mexico into the marshes and up the bayous west of the west bank of the Mississippi River. This water rise, not significantly heretofore observed, may occur quite suddenly or rapidly. It may be quite rough, especially in open or exposed areas, or possibly even deceptively steady.

Storm surge is the most dangerous part of this system for your part of Louisiana. It is coming soon. Be prepared.

OK, wind equipment majorly malfunctioned. Max gust 39 kt, which is obviously wrong, given nearby obs. LOL! Grrrrrrr.

However, the BASTARD performed perfectly-- didn't budge an inch. So, Cory, congrats to you for an engineering job well done! For the next chase, we're gonna use new equipment.

Wind picking up again after a relative lull that allowed me to get out of the car to check the instrument.

Ugh. Sounds like the problem is now narrowed down to water drag on the Kestrel impeller, as we suspected from our experiments. At least this test eliminated some possibilities. BASTARD is compatible with Vortex wind cup anemometers which won't have the same problem, so we'll have to discuss that or other options next.

Archived