Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great info, Sitting Pretty

Couple quick things, Josh:

Let me know if you need any help with elevations.

Also, any thoughts about heading down the delta southeast of NOLA on Hwy 23 if that's where LF will be? Because, well, 1) I'd be stunned if LE let you down there, and 2) I read a blog about the surge down there in 2005, and it wasn't pretty. Like, I'm not too sure anyone survived.

Pretty much anywhere south of New Orleans could be a death trap for any chaser outside the region. I think it's even more vulnerable than some here suspect. Houma may have a couple safe locations, including a parking garage. I'm not sure on the details though.

Pretty much anywhere south of New Orleans could be a death trap for any chaser outside the region. I think it's even more vulnerable than some here suspect. Houma may have a couple safe locations, including a parking garage. I'm not sure on the details though.

I bought gas in Houma a few days after Rita, and as memory serves, I believe you are correct. It's a pretty good-sized town.

Josh, According to Bayou 95.7 any decision regarding contraflow will be made tomorrow morning. So for today, feel free to drive wherever you want! If you stay tuned to the radio in the morning they will let you know if they're doing the "1-way-out" deal.

Sorry if this is already information you have, I just have a lot of friends there after living there for so many years, and my facebook page is alive with great information!

As can be imagined with normal rush hour traffic, and now people getting out of work wanting to leave, I-10 is a parking lot right now.

Half of the people I know are either converging in the general area of downtown to ride it out, and the other half are stuck in their vehicles.

-sigh- This is giving me so many flashbacks.

As can be imagined with normal rush hour traffic, and now people getting out of work wanting to leave, I-10 is a parking lot right now.

Half of the people I know are either converging in the general area of downtown to ride it out, and the other half are stuck in their vehicles.

-sigh- This is giving me so many flashbacks.

People are dumb. Why would you try and evacuate diring the normal rush hour?

People are dumb. Why would you try and evacuate diring the normal rush hour?

As I'm hearing from my friends and such, work was not let out early today and some people HAD to finish their days out. Nearly all businesses have let out until at least Thursday, though.

A few of my friend's had to wait for their significant other's to get home from work, or children home from school.

Sucks :/ They should have let everyone have off today as well. I guess since it is not a mandatory evacuation it doesn't feel as imperative to the owners/managers/etc.

Not sure. I echo your sentiment's, though. Tomorrow is going to be insane, traffic wise. People always wait until the last minute with these things, especially there in New Orleans, an exception to Gustav because katrina was still so fresh in everyone's mind... They're told so many times that a storm is coming, leave leave leave! And then nothing happens. So, most people there are stubborn and either a) just decide to straight up stick it out no matter what and B) decide their going to stick it out and then get their senses back and try to get out even though everyone else is doing the last minute exodus as well.

A lot of people, especially there in the heart of the city, cannot afford to pack up and leave if it is not imminent that life/property may be lost. A lot of people have a very long and old memory of surviving pretty well throughout most of the cyclones that come.

It's a hard call to make.

As I'm hearing from my friends and such, work was not let out early today and some people HAD to finish their days out. Nearly all businesses have let out until at least Thursday, though.

A few of my friend's had to wait for their significant other's to get home from work, or children home from school.

Sucks :/ They should have let everyone have off today as well. I guess since it is not a mandatory evacuation it doesn't feel as imperative to the owners/managers/etc.

Not sure. I echo your sentiment's, though. Tomorrow is going to be insane, traffic wise. People always wait until the last minute with these things, especially there in New Orleans, an exception to Gustav because katrina was still so fresh in everyone's mind... They're told so many times that a storm is coming, leave leave leave! And then nothing happens. So, most people there are stubborn and either a) just decide to straight up stick it out no matter what and B) decide their going to stick it out and then get their senses back and try to get out even though everyone else is doing the last minute exodus as well.

A lot of people, especially there in the heart of the city, cannot afford to pack up and leave if it is not imminent that life/property may be lost. A lot of people have a very long and old memory of surviving pretty well throughout most of the cyclones that come.

It's a hard call to make.

I wouldn't wait until tomorrow, that will be one big rush hour. If you're leaving, you gas up, take a long nap and leave after 10pm.

I wouldn't wait until tomorrow, that will be one big rush hour. If you're leaving, you gas up, take a long nap and leave after 10pm.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't; many people there would and will. After going through Katrina, I promised myself I would leave every time, no matter the cost.

Also, the 2 storms that came close enough to scare/hit, I was pregnant for, so I essentially had to leave no matter what, as extreme pressure drops will send a pregnant woman into labor (which, while grossly under-reported, happened a great deal during Katrina).

You wouldn't, I wouldn't; many people there would and will. After going through Katrina, I promised myself I would leave every time, no matter the cost.

Also, the 2 storms that came close enough to scare/hit, I was pregnant for, so I essentially had to leave no matter what, as extreme pressure drops will send a pregnant woman into labor (which, while grossly under-reported, happened a great deal during Katrina).

There isn't going to be anymore waiting to leave, people are being told to wait it out at home, like Cantore just said. Other then the low lying areas surrounding N.O., not protected by levees that is.

There isn't going to be anymore waiting to leave, people are being told to wait it out at home, like Cantore just said. Other then the low lying areas surrounding N.O., not protected by levees that is.

This very well may be true, and I believe it, but 1) they have not even started contra-flow on the highway yet, with the time to begin doing it sometime tomorrow morning, and 2) even if they're being told to stay and wait it out does not at all mean they will. People will get a bug up their butt and leave, no matter what authority figure is telling them it's safer to stay put at this point.

They are being told they can wait it out. They are not being told they have to. In other words, no mandatory evacuation for those areas. A significant number will decide to go whether tonight or tomorrow.

They are being told they can wait it out. They are not being told they have to. In other words, no mandatory evacuation for those areas. A significant number will decide to go whether tonight or tomorrow.

Of course they're not being forced to stay. That's what I meant, no mandatory evacs.

Of course they're not being forced to stay. That's what I meant, no mandatory evacs.

Words mean things.

When I was at Clark AB in the Philippines, anytime we were expecting a significant typhoon hit all Military wives in the third trimester of pregnancy would be strongly urged to report to the Base hospital to sit out the storm for that very reason.

Steve

There are some mandatory evacs of towns at the bottom of parishes that butt-up to the Gulf. No mandatory evac's in Orleans parish, though. Orleans parish will fare much better than say Plaquemines parish, or extreme lower Terrebone and La Forche.

There seems to be a lot of bicker/banter posts on this last page, just sayin'...I think Josh et al would appreciate the discussion being kept on topic...

Best of luck Josh, and be safe. It's great to experience these events vicariously through your efforts...

This. If you (general you) wanna discuss evacs in Nola do it in another thread

Jefferson Parrish sheriff says if your driving around during the event you're going to jail. " If you get bored don't get in your truck, stay inside and play Parcheesi. We have 2 and a half times the normal manpower and you will be challenged."

Pretty excessive and aggressive, I suppose they're concerned about looting but the attitude of some of the law enforcement during these storms can be kinda disturbing.

Anyway this storm looks to be disappointing in terms of pure intensity. The flooding will be a real problem especially considering the region, but the stuff that Josh and crew really seem to like-extreme wind-might be a bit of a let down. In the end hearing about how they managed to position themselves in a hostile environment for chasing might be as interesting to me as their experience of the storm itself.

Honestly, you can't beat Plaquemines Parish for landfall if you want to see the most severe stuff. Now, it is risky, but there will be some seasoned storm vets there who'll show you good hospitality during the storm.

Sent from my Milestone X 2

Archived