Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay thanks, that's good to hear. That was my advice to him before we lost contact so I'm crossing fingers--wanted to get some opinions and send them to him and hope they get through.

Good job.

Hey, I can only do this for so long. It gets to be grueling after 14-16 hours. Any chance you, or someone you know, could take over archiving for me at, say 2AM MDT if it actually becomes necessary? I can do it until then I'm sure. There would just be one thing to archive: the floater IR pics every 30 minutes. I'm doing GRL3 and vis, too, but no vis at that hour and there would be no way for someone else to keep the continuity going o GRL3, even if they have it.

Hey, guys-- I'm in Galliano, way SE of Houma, near the Gulf Coast, about 2 or 3 ft above sea level. Yeah, dumb-- I know.

A vigoruous band passed through and produced heavy rain and frequent gusts over 30 kt (measured at around 3 m), so nothing crazy has happened. At first I thought it was the eyewall, but looking at how it's evolved on radar, I see it's a sort of inner band, not the core. I also see that little baby eyewall thing embedded in the larger eye or moat, and I'm going to try to punch that, if I have the mobility.

Hey, guys-- I'm in Galliano, way SE of Houma, near the Gulf Coast, about 2 or 3 ft above sea level. Yeah, dumb-- I know.

A vigoruous band passed through and produced heavy rain and frequent gusts over 30 kt (measured at around 3 m), so nothing crazy has happened. At first I thought it was the eyewall, but looking at how it's evolved on radar, I see it's a sort of inner band, not the core. I also see that little baby eyewall thing embedded in the larger eye or moat, and I'm going to try to punch that, if I have the mobility.

That band was for sure the eyewall at one time when the eye was 85nm wide. Lately that has expanded even further, and you know what's happening inside of that.

ERC? Really?

Reconnaissance indicates the smaller "core" has weak winds compared to the larger scale eyewall, so there's no point chasing it as of now.

Reconnaissance indicates the smaller "core" has weak winds compared to the larger scale eyewall, so there's no point chasing it as of now.

It's really a moot point assuming Josh can't get any further SE anyway. The center of the eye won't get to him for hours; possibly 6 or 7 hours. By then all the individual features we currently see will have long disappeared.

Only mobility you have is to get back on the 90. Right now if the inner core keeps moving along the current track it would be near Des Allemands.

Yeah at least that's under 40 miles away. I wonder if that part of 90 is open?

I agree. I still think he's in a good spot.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. There IS a chaser in Point a la Hache, and her position updates are current. That is about halfway down 23 from NOLA. I don't know if she got there recently or long ago. I don't know if she is okay or in distress, but she is there.

Her email addy is available, but no phone #

OAA DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES THAT HURRICANE ISAAC MADE LANDFALL

ALONG THE COAST OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA IN PLAQUEMINES PARISH JUST

SOUTHWEST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT 645 PM CDT...

2345 UTC...WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 80 MPH...130 KM/H.

AT 700 PM CDT...0000 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ISAAC WAS

ESTIMATED BY NOAA DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR NEAR LATITUDE 29.0

NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST...OR ABOUT 10 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE

MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER...AND ABOUT 90 MILES SOUTHEAST OF

NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA.

A SUSTAINED WIND OF 45 MPH WITH A GUST TO 62 MPH WAS OBSERVED WITHIN

THE PAST HOUR AT LAKEFRONT AIRPORT IN NEW ORLEANS. A WIND GUST TO

56 MPH WAS RECENTLY REPORTED AT GALLIANO LOUISIANA.

A STORM SURGE OF 8.8 FEET WAS RECENTLY REPORTED AT A NATIONAL

OCEAN SERVICE TIDE GAUGE AT SHELL BEACH LOUISIANA. A STORM SURGE

OF 5.5 FEET WAS OBSERVED AT A NATIONAL OCEAN SERVICE TIDE GAUGE IN

WAVELAND MISSISSIPPI.

Just talked to Josh. Thought maybe the report out of Galliano was from him but it wasn't. Possibly from the airport.

Said that conditions had deteriorated markedly.

Is he recording winds or did he decide against it? It was iffy whether he'd deploy the new BASTARD for the whole storm since the backup Kestrel didn't make it to him in time.

Archived