• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

FWIW, the 0z EURO has Isaac stalling over the area for 24 hours.

Not sure what Josh is going to be able to do with that.

Not exactly a stall if you loop Hour 0 and Hour 24 on the Raleigh page, eyeball estimate it moves about/a little under 100 miles WNW to NW between 7 pm CDT last night and 7 pm CDT tonight.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh time to go, water has risen a quarter foot in 30 minutes in Grand Isle and now sits at 3.25 ft, and the tide is coming in. Good luck and awesome chase so far.

I think he should wait just a bit longer if he wants to go to Houma. Let the eyewall slide a little more N. You have to assume it's only 30/70 he can even make it there at all. He needs time to make it back, not just there.

post-6546-0-92102300-1346220790_thumb.pn

Josh

Earlier you posted this.

By the way, a Louisiana state trooper-- who was obviously curious as to what the hell I'm doing out here and pulled up alongside my car-- told me best is to stay put until the cyclone passes. He said the levees will hold and this town won't flood. He said not to go down to Golden Meadow.

I'd go with that local knowledge from someone who should know and stay put.

I'm staying put. Drove a circle around town in the semi-calm-- almost ran over a fallen power pole, which would have been beyond a f*ck-up. As I drove N for safety, I drove right back into the eyewall, paradoxically enough.

Maybe a half-mile N of the church where I rode our the front side, there's a big hospital on a slight hill. There are many other cars parked here-- probably for a reason. Furthermore, the emergency reception area has a driveway that's elevated another 5 ft-- good if things get hairy. Since there's just no elevation in this region, every little bit seems somehow significant.

Storm is in full rake mode again. Car shaking like crazy, but there's nothing anywhere near me that could fall on the car, so I feel OK.

I'm going to remember this one.

I thought about my previous advice to go south. Bad advice. Just as Isaac was drifting northward at the time he could just as easily wobble south and trap you somewhere you shouldn't be. At least the eye is falling apart due to dry air intrusion.

I assume the hospital is dark and you don't see anyone entering or leaving?

I'm staying put. Drove a circle around in the semi-calm-- almost ran over a fallen power pole, which would have been beyond a f*ck-up. As I drove N f safety, I drove right back into the eyewall, paradoxically enough.

Maybe a half-mile N of the church where I rode our the front side, there's a big hospital on slight hill. There are many other cars parked here-- probably for a reason. Furthermore, the emergency reception area has a driveway that's elevated another 5 ft-- good if things get hairy. Since there's just no elevation in this region, every little bit seems somehow significant.

Storm is in full rake mode again. Car shaking like crazy, but there's nothing anywhere near me that could fall in the car, so I feel OK.

I'm going to remember this one.

You seem to be good to go in that town http://www.slld.org/aboutus.html

"The Hurricane Protection Levees are designed to protect the area from Larose to south of Golden Meadow, LA from category two (2) hurricanes. To provide this protection the levees were built with a wide base with an elevation of +13 ft. above sea level on the south end and +9 ft. on the north end. The base of the levee varies from 150 to 400 ft. wide."

Not posting advice this go 'round...don't want to be another cook in an already crowded kitchen. You and Scott have been through enough of these to where he won't steer you wrong. Just want to say 'well done", and cheers to another awesome chase that's far from over! Chasing vicariously with you...one of these seasons, it'll be for real in my neck of the woods.

The emergency room entrance is getting absolutely pounded. The metal banisters are noticeably wobbling. A worker came out to fasten the doors better-- he could hardly get them open and almost couldn't close them-- he was pulling with his entire body.

The moaning of the wind through the acres of trees surrounding us-- the howl, really-- is incredible. It's as if the whole landscape has come to life with wailing zombies. Video doesn't capture it.

I am amazed by the grand, epic nature of this cyclone that was a sh*tty, pathetic TS 24 hours ago.

TWC people are in NOLA, of course. They're pretty much expressing that very same sentiment. Plus, much earlier, water was splashing right over the top of the river levees, but then it went back down some. Some of the worst bands are going right over NOLA right now, but I haven't heard of any major problems anywhere.

Archived