Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really surprised by the duration and power of this storm. Not at all what I was expecting. For a Cat 1, it's just epic. It's got to be the worst Cat 1-- from a size and power standpoint-- ever to hit the USA. And while it's large, it's not a sloppycane-- the highest winds of the night seem to be happening right now, very close to the center.

Really surprised by the duration and power of this storm. Not at all what I was expecting. For a Cat 1, it's just epic. It's got to be the worst Cat 1-- from a size and power standpoint-- ever to hit the USA. And while it's large, it's not a sloppycane-- the highest winds of the night seem to be happening right now, very close to the center.

Had a confirmed 106 mph gust off the coast so it looks like still the heart of the storm is coming. Looks better organized than it has ever as well which may attribute from the ocean barrier which can help in intensification so maybe you do get a triple digit gust mixing down

Another strong band about to rotate through, see wind near 80 around you.

I'd suggest waiting for a break in the radar reflectivities, and then making a run for it, but then you'd just run into trees and power lines blocking the road somewhere. It HAS moved a LITTLE bit in the last couple hours, but just a little, and the last few scans show no movement. Apparently, some on-air mets are now ignoring their info.

Had a confirmed 106 mph gust off the coast so it looks like still the heart of the storm is coming. Looks better organized than it has ever as well which may attribute from the ocean barrier which can help in intensification so maybe you do get a triple digit gust mixing down

Winds are just now catching up with the pressure.

That was at like 250-300 feet tho.

If it would just move a few miles WNW, I'd get in the eye and get a break. Wind is just ripping. Damn.

Natural optimist- perhaps the near stall on the radar is the first step torward predicted NW movement that would put Galliano in the eye.

Edit.

Loop removed because Uncle Bobby could be right. But it looks stalled, which could be beginning of turn NW shown in models. GFS doesn't start the turn right away, Euro has it on the coast at 7 am CDT.

Get lee side behind a building

Excellent advice. Jim Leonard when he was on Guam for Typhoon Omar was in the lee of a substantial building thus avoiding getting slammed when that roof came off and passed over his car. He had something like 4 hours of typhoon force winds ahead of the eye and about 8 after so Josh is experiencing what would be a reasonable sized typhoon in WPAC-he's got some time to go and the backside could be worse.

Steve

Alright, what do you want to do now? Try to find shelter there? Try to get to Houma?

Shelter might work, but driving up one of the two lane roads lined with trees either side of Bayou Lafourche to get back to Highway 90/Houma at night after half a hurricane has past, that is best done after sunrise.

Shelter might work, but driving up one of the two lane roads lined with trees either side of Bayou Lafourche to get back to Highway 90/Houma at night after half a hurricane has past, that is best done after sunrise.

I can tell him when it's safe to try. The whole storm will have to move about 10 miles N, though, or there's no way. Can't try it right now.

Archived