Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

:thumbsup:

And can you be allergic to Queen Anne's Lace (i think it is called that) - holy crap. I want to drill my eyes out

You can be allergic to any flowering plant.

The Golden Rod is out now also.

I generally don't have allergies and I've been a bit stuffed up this week. My wife is hitting the allergy meds hard this week.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't looked at it, but heat with a Sept 1 sun angle is not the same as July 1... Starts to get that Indian Summerish feel when you get a warm ridge in September.

This morning we started foggy and low 50's...afternoon up 80 I guess though.

euro brings back some big time heat at the end of the month. ens not quite as aggressive or long-lived but do offer some support.

Glad to see I will be coming back to more of the same.....September looks to be nice and summer like. Hopefully the warm weather lasts deep into the autumn season and late October brings more snow.

Everything on track for my September Sizzlethon.

Long live summer

Glad to see I will be coming back to more of the same.....September looks to be nice and summer like. Hopefully the warm weather lasts deep into the autumn season and late October brings more snow.

Everything on track for my September Sizzlethon.

Long live summer

imagine the suicides on here if we have another TORCH winter?

Anyone know if the Northern Ringneck snakes are poisonous? I saw one last evening in my yard and I ran like hell. Hate hate hate snakes

Absolutely not, they eat mice, chipmunk babies though. Good to have around, just let it be, will not bother you. Sallie. J\K they eat worms, salamanders

Absolutely not, they eat mice, chipmunk babies though. Good to have around, just let it be, will not bother you. Sallie.

I don't know. I read online that they do bite and are somewhat venemous. I guess they also emit some type of foul smell to scare away predators. I'll run it over with my tractor if I see it while mowing though they are primarily nocturnal

I don't know. I read online that they do bite and are somewhat venemous. I guess they also emit some type of foul smell to scare away predators. I'll run it over with my tractor if I see it while mowing though they are primarily nocturnal

They hardly can break the skin, really not a problem, we used to call them stink snakes because if you pick them up they smell like dead meat. The biggest ones eat small mice. Guaranteed you have a rat snake nearby too, those two seem to go hand in hand. Don't kill it though, it actually helps keep the grubs down.

They hardly can break the skin, really not a problem, we used to call them stink snakes because if you pick them up they smell like dead meat. The biggest ones eat small mice. Guaranteed you have a rat snake nearby too, those two seem to go hand in hand. Don't kill it though, it actually helps keep the grubs down.

Lesco takes care of grubs. Are rat snakes poisonous? Now I am totally freaked out

don't you dare kill a snake

Lesco takes care of grubs. Are rat snakes poisonous? Now I am totally freaked out

dude you live in the country, no rat snakes will give you a nasty bite but they like all snakes are scared, just be careful around dead wood fallen from Oct snowstorms. Very beneficial to us, keep the rodents at bay.

dude you live in the country, no rat snakes will give you a nasty bite but they like all snakes are scared, just be careful around dead wood fallen from Oct snowstorms. Very beneficial to us, keep the rodents at bay.

I also have at least 3 Gartner snakes I've seen this summer. Nothing freaks me out more than snakes . Just slithering around in the grass and stone walls.

I see black rat snakes all the time imby .. IIRC they can grow up to 8' and imitate a rattlesnake when threatened

You want to talk about sketchy snakes... I was camping once on an island in Lake George and ran into like 4-5 timber rattlesnakes. They have a huge population in the Lake George region up into the southern Champlain Valley and eastern Adirondacks:

These guys... this one was photographed in Crown Point, NY in the eastern Champlain Valley:

main-rattler-web.JPG

And this is a video of a pile of 8-10 of them in the eastern Adirondacks:

"Lake Shore Road (southeastern Champlain Valley) borders Split Rock Mountain, which is thought to be the northernmost habitat of the timber rattler. In the Adirondacks, the snakes also can be found on Tongue Mountain and other spots around Lake George. Timber rattlers range as far south as Florida and as far west as Texas. The Split Rock population is unusual in that all the specimens are black. Except for a tiny population in New Hampshire, other populations in the North are made up of black snakes and yellow snakes (with crossbands). In the South, there may be more color variations.

A biologist who has studied timber rattlers for more than three decades, Brown attributes the uniformity of the Split Rock population to the “founder effect.” It is supposed that all the founders of the population were black, and no yellow snakes contributed to the gene pool.

Essex County, where Split Rock Mountain is located, once offered a bounty on the venomous snakes—which led to a steep decline in their numbers. How is the population faring these days?

“As far as I know, it’s doing well,” Brown said. “It’s like all of the populations in New York State. They’re holding their own or coming back a little bit.”

i was cleaning my garage the other day...and a black snake came into the garage while the door was open...slid under some boxes...but i never found him. so he's either in my house or in my garage hiding.

make sure they aren't coming into your house...where you see one, there's probably a bunch.

check under your bed and in your closets. also..under the pillow and blankets.

You want to talk about sketchy snakes... I was camping once on an island in Lake George and ran into like 4-5 timber rattlesnakes. They have a huge population in the Lake George region up into the southern Champlain Valley and eastern Adirondacks:

These guys... this one was photographed in Crown Point, NY in the eastern Champlain Valley:

main-rattler-web.JPG

And this is a video of a pile of 8-10 of them in the eastern Adirondacks:

"Lake Shore Road (southeastern Champlain Valley) borders Split Rock Mountain, which is thought to be the northernmost habitat of the timber rattler. In the Adirondacks, the snakes also can be found on Tongue Mountain and other spots around Lake George. Timber rattlers range as far south as Florida and as far west as Texas. The Split Rock population is unusual in that all the specimens are black. Except for a tiny population in New Hampshire, other populations in the North are made up of black snakes and yellow snakes (with crossbands). In the South, there may be more color variations.

A biologist who has studied timber rattlers for more than three decades, Brown attributes the uniformity of the Split Rock population to the “founder effect.” It is supposed that all the founders of the population were black, and no yellow snakes contributed to the gene pool.

Essex County, where Split Rock Mountain is located, once offered a bounty on the venomous snakes—which led to a steep decline in their numbers. How is the population faring these days?

“As far as I know, it’s doing well,” Brown said. “It’s like all of the populations in New York State. They’re holding their own or coming back a little bit.”

Dear God

Archived