Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear God

I'm right with you... I hate snakes with a passion. I'm not sure what it is with them... I've ran into bears, coyotes, moose, etc all forms of large animals that wander the mountains of northern VT and I never feel threatened by them and am comfortable with them. However, put a snake on my hiking trail and I'll flip out. Maybe its the slithering or something, but I will either try to kill it immediately or act like a 12-year school girl if I run into one, haha.

I'm right with you... I hate snakes with a passion. I'm not sure what it is with them... I've ran into bears, coyotes, moose, etc all forms of large animals that wander the mountains of northern VT and I never feel threatened by them and am comfortable with them. However, put a snake on my hiking trail and I'll flip out. Maybe its the slithering or something, but I will either try to kill it immediately or act like a 12-year school girl if I run into one, haha.

Running into bears makes me nervous while hiking. I won't hike unless I have some sort of a weapon.

Donnie Baseball

Taking into consideration all of the data, my thoughts in terms of temperatures are as follows:

- Near to somewhat warmer than normal in the Plains States; warmest readings in the Central Plains

- Warmer than normal across Western Canada and the western third of the U.S.; the Pacific Northwest could see a period of much warmer than normal readings.

- Cooler than normal in the Southeast and perhaps Gulf States

- The remainder of the U.S. and Canada could be near to somewhat above normal.

Finally, with Arctic sea ice measures likely to approach or set new record lows, questions arise as to what this might mean for the winter. Some literature suggests that such an outcome, especially if Siberian snowcover increases during the fall, could result in a blocky winter. Other literature suggests that the outcome would be a slower eastward progression of systems, meaning that AO regimes (positive or negative) could be lengthier than would otherwise be the case. At this point in time, analogs and statistical correlations based on the summer blockiness suggest that a more blocky outcome than Winter 2011-12 continues to be more likely than not. However, as blocking is difficult to predict for more than two weeks in advance, such an outcome is not cast in stone at this point in time.

Running into bears makes me nervous while hiking. I won't hike unless I have some sort of a weapon.

I found one in a tree once and thought that was pretty cool... but then when he saw us he climbed down and that's when you are sort of like, uhhh all the sudden you can't see him and you have no idea where it went in the brush.

However they are so afraid of humans I'm never worried... the *only* time you worry is if you see cubs. Then its time to peace out and fast. But I've seen 6-7 black bears up here (on the Recreation Path, on the mountain, there was one under the Gondola last week, saw a couple at a condo development in town, etc) and they pretty much always take off as soon as someone rolls up and makes some noise. One of the condo areas I worked at had a bear problem as there were two that were always around, knocking over garbage and destroying bird feeders... for like two weeks we'd get calls in the morning from tourists saying they've got two bears on their deck and then we'd have to go out with this bootleg noise maker (a metal trash can lid that we attached wind chimes to) and bang it around to scare them off.

I'd rather french kiss a snake than to even look at a spider.

lEntering the last full day down here. Had a hot day yesterday with much time spent on the beach. Evening dowin in Woods Hole (going past the WHOI always makes me think of Hooper in "Jaws") was fun as always.

Probably heading to the bike path today and more beach before a "before traffic" return to the Pit tomorrow. Speaking of which, nice to see KPIT avoided the 80* mark yesterday. Hadn't expected that.

lEntering the last full day down here. Had a hot day yesterday with much time spent on the beach. Evening dowin in Woods Hole (going past the WHOI always makes me think of Hooper in "Jaws") was fun as always.

Probably heading to the bike path today and more beach before a "before traffic" return to the Pit tomorrow. Speaking of which, nice to see KPIT avoided the 80* mark yesterday. Hadn't expected that.

Have you had any 80F readings lately?

Hooper steers the boat, Chief

Have you had any 80F readings lately?

Hooper steers the boat, Chief

"Put the fire out, will you, Chief?"

I reread the book Jaws earlier this summer. I forgot that Hooper bites it in that.....er, I guess the shark bites Hooper would be more accurate. Elements of the book are better than the movie, and some elements of the movie are better than the book. Movie winds hands-down though with respect to the hunt/fight with the shark.

Didn't answer your question....

Through August 10, they occured 7 times. Since, we hit the mark on the 12th, 17th, and Thursday. How about in Hubbtown?

Since the 9th, only twice. Thursday(23) and the 17th. We did have a slew of days where we came close (79)

I'm sure when we have our open house at school it will be swampazz and 87

"Put the fire out, will you, Chief?"

I reread the book Jaws earlier this summer. I forgot that Hooper bites it in that.....er, I guess the shark bites Hooper would be more accurate. Elements of the book are better than the movie, and some elements of the movie are better than the book. Movie winds hands-down though with respect to the hunt/fight with the shark.

I should read the book...the movie is in my top 3 ever

Archived