Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Chasing ERNESTO

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the armchair quarterbacking of where Josh should intercept was way worse. This thread was terrible last night and the terrible postings will not continue through today.

Even I know enough to just read once the actual intercept is underway. I think etiquette permits some of the better red taggers to give storm updates (believe it or not, I am starting to hold some of you highly paid professionals in higher esteem than others, in fact, there are a few I would trust less than say, Jorge)* and everyone else who hasn't chased down there to stay off the Google Earth and let Scott and Josh do what they have clearly shown they can do.

Excellent job to the chase team. I cna't wait to hear Josh's minimum recorded pressure, and, of course, eagerly await the video.

*Didn't have any issues with any red tagger advice in this thread.

Even I know enough to just read once the actual intercept is underway. I think etiquette permits some of the better red taggers to give storm updates (believe it or not, I am starting to hold some of you highly paid professionals in higher esteem than others, in fact, there are a few I would trust less than say, Jorge) and everyone else who hasn't chased down there to stay off the Google Earth and let Scott and Josh do what they have clearly shown they can do.

Excellent job to the chase team. I cna't wait to hear Josh's minimum recorded pressure, and, of course, eagerly await the video.

Ed, this is your best post ever. Certain people's opinions are clearly welcome and others' are not. If you don't know which one you personally are, better to err on the side of not posting.

Great job Josh, anxiously awaiting to hear from you later today. One of these days your going to get a daytime storm! One thing about chasing in remote areas is you can reposition so much easier. Try moving 20 or 30 miles along the coast in the US just before a storm hits. Love these chase threads feels like Im there!

Good day all,

No disrespect but your call earlier in this thread was Punta Allen. Costa Maya was only an option if Josh had arrived much earlier.

On top of that to my knowledge Josh is the only chaser that made a ballsy decision to go after Ernesto and given when he landed it's a hell of a feat that he has put himself in a position to intercept it.

Josh is the man - period.

Originally (back on 8/6) I would be targeting the BZ / MX border and a bit north, with Costa Maya as the landfall point. Then yesterday (8/7) the storm did that crazy NW "run" making Punta Allen more likely, that's where I began posting. I'm not on here too much, but I see much more updates here since I joined (great site)!

Against most of NHC's quidance, the storm turned due west, and stayed on that course until landfall. This is where the last-minute data comes into play - Josh really needed that! I remember a similar event with Charley in 2004 in FL. Everyone (NHC and all) forecasted the landfall near Tampa, but the last minute it came into port Charlotte / Punta Gorda. The data was more than essential, given the eye was ONLY 3 miles wide in that storm and we saw the blue sky in it surrounded by 145 MPH winds that extended only 5 miles from the center.

I am wondering if Josh will attempt a second intercept, but it's appearing RIGHT NOW the storm is moving maybe a bit S of due west, keeping it over land more. This will make it parallel the coast more, opposed to going out into the BOC and making a second landfall.

This was a very hard nut to crack ... Hat's off to Josh M again!

Really appreciate the kind words though behind the scenes teamwork along with board teamwork -in just the right amount of doses ;)- contributes greatly in helping with giving Josh the best advice as his conditions and communications deteriorate.

Quick update on Josh if he doesn't chime in...

Safe and sound heading back to Playa del Carmen. Will give a few more technical tidbits shortly.

Really appreciate the kind words though behind the scenes teamwork along with board teamwork -in just the right amount of doses ;)- contributes greatly in helping with giving Josh the best advice as his conditions and communications deteriorate.

Quick update on Josh if he doesn't chime in...

Safe and sound heading back to Playa del Carmen. Will give a few more technical tidbits shortly.

:thumbsup:

josh checked in on FB:

It was a small, violent cyclone. Rode it out in a roadside restaurant in Buena Vista, near 18.882N 88.244W, which is W or WNW of Costa Maya. Lowest pressure 975.0 mb at 12:34 am CDT

Archived