EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Chasing ERNESTO

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ernesto is ancient news at this point, but for anyone who's interested, I've published the complete chase account on the iCyclone site-- with lots of nice pics and diagrams:

http://icyclone.com/chases/ernesto-2012.html

It's conveniently divided into chapters if you just want to skip to the good part! ;)

• 2 months later...

The NHC has released the Ernesto report, and they've upgraded it to Cat 2 (85 kt) at landfall, partially because of my pressure reading taken near the center. I dig when my data are useful to the postanalysis process-- it's really gratifying. Woo hoo!!

From the report:

The 85-kt estimated landfall and peak intensity of Ernesto is based on a blend of Dvorak intensity estimates of 77 and 90 kt from 0000 UTC and 0300 UTC 8 August 2012, respectively; the 90-kt Dvorak estimate at landfall was performed by TAFB during the post-storm analysis. The improved structure and continued intensification of Ernesto through landfall is also supported by two minimum pressure observations in Mexico. An automated observing site on the Banco Chinchorro Islands reported a minimum pressure of 979.4 mb (Table 2) at 0100 UTC 8 August as the center passed over the area. This was 5 mb lower than the minimum pressure reported by reconnaissance aircraft 8 h earlier. A storm chaser located inland near Buena Vista, Mexico, reported a minimum pressure of 975.0 mb (Table 2) at 0534 UTC while still experiencing strong winds. Based on these data, the estimated minimum pressure at landfall is 973 mb.

http://www.nhc.noaa....012_Ernesto.pdf

The NHC has released the Ernesto report, and they've upgraded it to Cat 2 (85 kt) at landfall, partially because of my pressure reading taken near the center. I dig when my data are useful to the postanalysis process-- it's really gratifying. Woo hoo!!

From the report:

The 85-kt estimated landfall and peak intensity of Ernesto is based on a blend of Dvorak intensity estimates of 77 and 90 kt from 0000 UTC and 0300 UTC 8 August 2012, respectively; the 90-kt Dvorak estimate at landfall was performed by TAFB during the post-storm analysis. The improved structure and continued intensification of Ernesto through landfall is also supported by two minimum pressure observations in Mexico. An automated observing site on the Banco Chinchorro Islands reported a minimum pressure of 979.4 mb (Table 2) at 0100 UTC 8 August as the center passed over the area. This was 5 mb lower than the minimum pressure reported by reconnaissance aircraft 8 h earlier. A storm chaser located inland near Buena Vista, Mexico, reported a minimum pressure of 975.0 mb (Table 2) at 0534 UTC while still experiencing strong winds. Based on these data, the estimated minimum pressure at landfall is 973 mb.

http://www.nhc.noaa....012_Ernesto.pdf

YEAH Josh!!! I saw your name annotated below the graphic! WOO HOO!!!!! :) That is SO cool!!!

--Turtle

Wow! That's so awesome Josh!

Excellent job this year by the way.

Thanks, man. It wasn't a great year, but I feel like I made the most of it. I'm just really glad I went after this one in particular.

That is a form of immortality, as long as the NHC exists and keeps records, you'll be mentioned (as a chaser) and will change how history views Ernesto.

:lol:

It is nice to be in the official report, and to contribute meaningfully to the postanalysis. I've never disguised the fact that I chase because I'm an adrenaline junkie-- not because I'm trying to do some good deed or help society-- but for my inner nerd, it's awesome to be able to contribute to the science.

YEAH Josh!!! I saw your name annotated below the graphic! WOO HOO!!!!! :) That is SO cool!!!

--Turtle

Thanks, Eleanor. :wub:

Good job Josh. You got it upgraded.

Well, I like to think my data filled in the blanks a little. :)

I do wonder what the pressure was at the coast, right in the eye. Their final verdict of 973 mb sounds about right to me, assuming my 975.0 reading (inland, just outside the eye) was accurate, which I assume it was to within ~1 mb.

Anyhoo, thanks, man. :)

Archived