mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Chasing ERNESTO

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day all...

Costa Maya it IS for landfall! That would have been my original target!

No disrespect but your call earlier in this thread was Punta Allen. Costa Maya was only an option if Josh had arrived much earlier.

On top of that to my knowledge Josh is the only chaser that made a ballsy decision to go after Ernesto and given when he landed it's a hell of a feat that he has put himself in a position to intercept it.

No disrespect but your call earlier in this thread was Punta Allen. Costa Maya was only an option if Josh had arrived much earlier.

On top of that to my knowledge Josh is the only chaser that made a ballsy decision to go after Ernesto and given when he landed it's a hell of a feat that he has put himself in a position to intercept it.

+1

Somewhere in-between where Josh is at currently and Bacalar is where Ernie is going to cross. If it jogs west then its' more towards Bacalar. Either way Josh is within 7 miles of the center.

Quick question... how do you make the radar/google earth overlays? It is a simple powerpoint transparency job, or do you actually create .kml files?

It's Interesting (and ironic) that the IR presentation for the storm is going to be better right where Josh is than when it was on the coast. The man is good.

I suspect that a combination of the swampy landscape (supplying latent heat energy to the storm) and increased friction (leading to frictional convergence) is helping Ernesto maintain or even slightly increase in intensity. Remember, it's not land alone per se that causes tropical cyclone weakening as much as it is the loss of the latent heat reservoir from the water. A very swampy landscape can counteract that to a degree, and frictional convergence can help to concentrate the circulation and increase the storm's organization/intensity to a degree. The net effect, of course, is going to be determined by comparing the effects of less latent heat energy to the effects of frictional convergence.

What are the chances Josh is able to make it for landfall #2 if things look interesting. Ernesto is on a very Karl like path right now.

Oy. If it keeps its structure like it seems to be doing and the forecast is optimistic I'm sure he will consider.

With that said this has probably been one of the more mentally and physically draining storms that I can think of that he has went after. Whatever sleep he got in on both flights is about the only sleep he has had in the last 48 hrs.

Throw a major as a second landfall and he might find that second wind real quick. A scenario like that just won't happen every often though it's likely a long shot.

What are the chances Josh is able to make it for landfall #2 if things look interesting. Ernesto is on a very Karl like path right now.

Obviously this is conditional on how well Ernesto maintains its inner core crossing the Yucatan, but assuming that Josh can logistically make it happen, he'd have to seriously consider this. The GFS and ECMWF both have Ernesto over water for about 36 hours, which is about what Karl did. Environmental factors look great, and both models intensify Ernesto substantially in the BOC. It could get really interesting.

LITTLE IF ANY ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED BEFORE LANDFALL

OCCURS. ERNESTO SHOULD WEAKEN RAPIDLY AS IT PASSES OVER YUCATAN

TONIGHT AND TOMORROW...BUT THE INCREASE IN LOW-LEVEL FRICTIONAL

CONVERGENCE MAY ACTUALLY HELP TO TIGHTEN UP THE CIRCULATION BEFORE

IT EMERGES OVER THE BAY OF CAMPECHE IN 18-24 HOURS. THIS APPEARS TO

BE ONE OF THE DRIVING MECHANISMS IN THE HWRF AND GFDL MODELS...

WHICH MAKE ERNESTO A HURRICANE AGAIN BY 48 HOURS WHEN IT IS OVER

THE SOUTHERN BAY OF CAMPECHE. THIS SEEMS REASONABLE GIVEN THE

CURRENT AND EXPECTED FAVORABLE ANTICYCLONIC OUTFLOW OVER ERNESTO.

I hope he can. I think there's a strong potential for the 2nd landfall intensity to be significantly higher than NHC shows for the (~80-100 kt), especially given how well Ernesto is holding up over land so far.

Archived